Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Bret vs Owen Ironman?/ Best Ironman Match?

Guest fujiwara

Guest fujiwara

Bret vs Owen Ironman?

I was just browsing around other Wrestling forums like you do and i came across a thread that Bret and Owen had an Iron match!!?

Someone sad that it was on a Raw around 94 and they dedicated the whole show to it.

I have been an avid wrestling fan for over 5 years now I have never heard anything about it. Has anyone seen it or have any info on it?

Guest Craig Van Dam
Huh I dont seem to remember anything about Bret and Owen having an iron man match I was always lead to believe Bret Vs Shawn and HHH Vs Rock were the only Ironman matchs

Guest Rudi El Fire
Apart from those two, you could count the Angle - Benoit ultimate submission match at Backlash 2001 as an ironman match. Aside from that, offhand I can't think of any other WWE ironman matches (though that doesn't mean they don't exist). There were a few in WCW though, including the classic Rick Rude - Dustin Rhodes match at Beach Blast 1993.

Steamboat and Rude also had one at Beach Blast 92, and Low-ki, v Daniels, v Williams v Spanky of course not too long ago in ROH.

Guest fujiwara

I thought that it was a hoax at first but it seemed that a few of them knew about it so it has lead my to believe that it was real.

Maybe it happened in Stampede or something.

If it did happen I definitly want to see it.

Also don't forget the rare Flair v Bret Hart ironman match from 92. Supposedly a great match. You can find it on the internet occasionally but it is poor quality as it may have been fan cam.

On the subject what is your favourite IronMan Match?

Guest Craig Van Dam

My favourite was Bret vs Shawn my 2 all time favourite wrestlers going at it for an hour and there didn't dissapoint.

Another thing would anyone love to see Angle and Benoit do an Ironman match?

Guest The Crippler

No more Angle and Benoit for a while but sure, down the line when hopefully both guys are still going strong in a couple of years that would be awesome.

I found the Michaels and Bret match to be a little dull. Rock and Triple H was more exciting I thought.

Guest fujiwara

Aside from the weird ending the HHH/Rock ironman was great and better than the Bret/Shawn match for the fact that it had more falls.

The lack of any falls in an hour long match really hurt the Mania 12 main event. Where as the HHH v Rock match was great because there were falls and that told its own story with the rock playing a game of catch up to HHH on the falls. Also the drama was good like when Rock went out from a sleeper and HHH got another fall. I mean a SLEEPER! a move that no one has been pinned with for 15 odd years.

the ROH match was great aswell. Having 4 men in there helped the fatigue factor. Doug was great infact they all were. It is my fav for the fact that I haven't watched Rock v HHH for ages but will be doing so tonight. So my mind will probably change.

Guest Peter K

Now you said it fujiwara, there was a Iron man match between Bret and Owen but I certainly can not recall any such match being in a Raw as I reguarly go to "The Other Arena" where they have ALL Raw results and happenings in archive from the first show.

But Bret and Owen did have many Iron Man matches in house shows.

Guest Rudi El Fire
Another thing would anyone love to see Angle and Benoit do an Ironman match?

Check them out at Backlash 2001, Ultimate Submission (basically a submission only iron man match).

This match is a real love it or hate it affair, though the people that hate it tend to be people who plain don't go for iron man matches anyway (Fin Martin being an influential example, who finds them boring and boy, does he ever like to say so every chance he gets :roll ).

Personally I love it. Great storytelling (including a very nifty use of a steel chair in terms of where it's placed and the timing of it's use), a good variety of mat based moves which are rarely seen in the WWE style, even the much maligned Dusty Rhodes style finish doesn't hurt it too much.

From memory, I think, before WrestleMania 12, Ironman matches were usually billed as "Marathon Matches". I was an avid reader of Powerslam magazine back then, there was always the odd "Marathon Match" poping up on house shows, I'm pretty sure, if my memory serves me correct, that Bret and Owen competed in a few of these.

I don't remember there being one on Raw, and if there was then it was before Raw was being shown in this country (Remember Sky took about 2 years before it started showing Raw), but I certainly don't remember it.

As for the best Ironman match, I thought the Bret/Shawn one was a bit dull, but I did enjoy the Rock/HHH one.

Guest Simon
Just out of interest, anyone have any idea why they didn't actually have any falls in the HBK v Bret match? It just never made any sense to me to like have none at all... any suggestions?

Guest Peter K
Originally posted by Simon

Just out of interest, anyone have any idea why they didn't actually have any falls in the HBK v Bret match? It just never made any sense to me to like have none at all... any suggestions?

You should know this, its to make the match seem dramatic.