Fan Clubs

Do you wear fitness tech?

Ogmore

I'm talking about those sporty devices that act as a heart rate monitor, step counter, calorie tracker, and so on. Did the device help you improve in the long run or did it feel like a nag you were happy to give up? I'm asking because I'm meant to be eating healthier, drinking water, and exercising. The Fitbit Charge 3 looks enticing at the moment, thought it could just be an easy way to feel like I'm doing something without actually accomplishing much (well, besides spending money).

Most smartphones these days have a built-in pedometer. There are some free apps on the Play/App Store to help you log your food and track the calories. Have you tried them?

Those fitness devices are expensive. I wanted to get one, but I dropped the idea after I found that the cheaper alternatives were good enough for me. Getting more than 5,000 steps every day and limiting my carbs are quite hard, so I'll skip the complicated ones.

Guest AmyRichmond
My Sony Xperia Z5 came with the app Lifelog, and I usually carry the phone with me when I walk, and strap it to my arm when I run. When I first got it, it used to log my running, but now it doesn't seem to, so I just log all running and walking as walking. I find it really useful to know how many steps I've done, and how long I have been running/walking for. I usually look at how far I have walked each week. I think it motivates me to keep moving.

Guest IdesOfMarch
The Fitbit Charge 3 looks enticing at the moment, though it could just be an easy way to feel like I'm doing something without actually accomplishing much (well, besides spending money).

That's exactly why I ended up purchasing one. I didn't get a Fitbit Charge 3 because the Fitbits are too expensive for me when I know that I'm probably not going to keep up with it. I ended up getting a relatively cheap one from Amazon. I wore it for about a week. I set it down to charge one day and I never picked it back up. I'm glad I didn't waste the money.

That's not to say that will happen to you. I know plenty of people who love them. Honestly, most of those people were already pretty serious about fitness anyway. I don't know of anyone who bought one to motivate them and still continues to use it.

I'm trying to jazz myself up for exercising and eating better. I'm not heavy, or I'd try one of those weight competitions for motivation. It's the healthy eating and just not sitting for long hours during work that's the hardest part for me. I'll look into some smartphone apps to see if I find something user friendly. I don't mind spending money, but it's foolish to do so when its unnecessary. Thanks for the tips, mates!

That's not to say that will happen to you. I know plenty of people who love them. Honestly, most of those people were already pretty serious about fitness anyway. I don't know of anyone who bought one to motivate them and still continues to use it.

I did this in the past by signing up for a gym membership even though it was rather expensive. I figured that I'd be motivated to exercise since I had paid so much. As you can probably guess, it didn't last for long.

If you have some spare money to buy the gear, go ahead, but don't depend solely on it. I hope you can find another motivation to keep you in for the long run. Good luck!

Guest IdesOfMarch
I'm trying to jazz myself up for exercising and eating better. I'm not heavy, or I'd try one of those weight competitions for motivation. It's the healthy eating and just not sitting for long hours during work that's the hardest part for me. I'll look into some smartphone apps to see if I find something user friendly. I don't mind spending money, but it's foolish to do so when its unnecessary. Thanks for the tips, mates!

I'm the same. It's more about staying healthy and feeling better about myself. You'd think that would be motivation enough. What I've found the most useful is finding a site/app that has small daily challenges that vary a lot. The girls over at Tone It Up have daily challenges that focus on specific muscle groups. There's also an app called Sweat that supposedly pays you to walk in their own cryptocurrency. I always had issues with it counting my steps but others have had some success.

I did this in the past by signing up for a gym membership even though it was rather expensive. I figured that I'd be motivated to exercise since I had paid so much. As you can probably guess, it didn't last for long.

I did that too. It just burned a hole in my pocket. I find I'm most motivated at home. I usually just end up doing cardio at the gym because I get intimidated by the weights. I could do cardio at home, so that's not great motivation for me.