Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

The best WWF title match? what is it?

Guest therock88

Guest therock88

There have been many matches that stick out in everyones mind for the Gold, but there is one in particular that i will always remember, that is the match that took place at the Houssier Dome in 1992, Wrestlemania 8 is the event and the competitors in the match were the Ric Flair © VS The Machoman Randy Savage (Challenger).

The reason this match sticks out is because it had everything, two of the greatest ever champions and all round wrestling competitors, the controversial ending, and what an ending, as well as the superb build up...

The build up was that Liz had been seeing Flair on the side, and he had photographic evidence of this and he had a centrefold image of liz that he was going to display all over the arena....

The match was fantastic, end to end stuff with no real advantage to any of the competitors, and in the end Savage won the belt for the second time by rolling flair up and grabbing the trunks...

what are your thoughts on this match and what in your opinion is the best and why?

Guest The Crippler

My favourite WWF/E championship match is a recent one. Kurt Angle v Chris Benoit at this years Royal Rumble. Great technique with a great story and had the crowd in the palm of their hands. It was also a match which made me mark out during it like a 10 year old and I was genuinely disappointed when Benoit didn't win.

Savage and Flair at WM 8 was a great championship match. The build up was great with the whole Elizabeth thing and the match was really good. Shame it wasn't the actual main event but it was a great match nonetheless.

Guest therock88

Yeah thats was the only real thing that let it down, the Hogan v Sid match should have been where the Savage V Flair match was and vise versa.

I can still remember watching the build up to that match on the old wrestling challenge, and saturday prime time, back in the days when wrestling was wrestling and not entertainment.

Guest MillionLiraMan

I haven't seen the Savage against Flair match since the time of WrestleMania VIII incredibly enough, so I'm a bit hazy on it but it was great and should have been the main event, having it where it was just meant I got to switch over earlier rather than sit through another stale dose of Hulkabollocks afterwards. I liked Savage and Flair at the time so unlike when Hogan was involved and it seemed inevitable that he would always win, I could actually sit back objectively and just enjoy a match between two guys who I liked anyway, not really fussed about who won (although it was great to see Savage get the win) but just being genuinely entertained by a great match.

I'm going to cheat for my choice and pick the previous PPV, the Royal Rumble of 1992. Not strictly a conventional 'title match' but the title was at stake in that one so I choose that, it was fantastic. I have said enough about this one at the time of the Royal Rumble this year so I won't go on again, but that would be my choice.

Guest Rikidozan
Flair/Savage was great, but pales in comparrison to 90% of historical Triple Crown title changes.

Guest Jung
Yeah but Singhy, its hard to compare them, just because of the environment. Both audiences were very different, styles very different, so only way it could be judged as equals, would be on entertainment value, and Savage v Flair was very entertaining.

Guest Craig Van Dam

That is a hard question they have been loads of great title matchs in the past it's hard to say just one here are some of my favourites

Bret Hart© Vs Shawn Micheals - Wrestlemania 12

Ric Flair© Vs Randy Savage - Wrestlemania 8

HHH© Vs Cactus Jack - Royal Rumble 2000

The Rock© Vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 17

Guest The Crippler

Yeah definitely is. I actually watched that match earlier and then I watched Benoit v Angle and I have to say Benoit v Angle is of much higher quality.

Savage v Flair has a better build up but I still think Benoit v Angle is the best WWF/E Championship match I have seen.

Edited by The Crippler

Guest therock88
Well thats your opinion, and mine is the match between savage and flair, everyones will be different for some reason or another.

Guest The Crippler

Don't worry Rock88, I'm not like other people here. I do respect your opinion, in fact I'd probably say most people will agree with you that Savage and Flair at WM 8 was better than Benoit and Angle at Royal Rumble 03.

Each to their own. :xyx

Guest Pabster

In my opinion Rock/Austin takes this on which is the greatest WWF/WWE PPV ever, Wrestlemania X7. The crowd were red hot, it had the tension, passion and both guys work so well with each other in the ring - it was an amazing match. Nice swerve with Vinny joining forces with Austin (I admit I expected it to happen though).

Cheers.

Guest Peter K

Apart from Kenta Kobashi's GHC victory over Mitsuharu Misawa on March 1 before a sell out crowd of 16,300 at the Budokan Hall which was memorable purely because of the heated and emotional crowd and they was reduced to tears.

Apart from that it would have to be the Rock VS Austin I and II WrestleMania matches.

Guest The Crippler
Originally posted by PK (WCW + ECW Fan)

Apart from Kenta Kobashi's GHC victory over Mitsuharu Misawa on March 1 before a sell out crowd of 16,300 at the Budokan Hall which was memorable purely because of the heated and emotional crowd and they was reduced to tears.

The thread is about WWE/F championship matches PK. :xyx

Guest Peter K
Originally posted by The Crippler

The thread is about WWE/F championship matches PK. :xyx

I was aware it was only about WWF/E Championship matches but just had to say the Kobashi match as it is truly amazing.