Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Something Borrowed: Benoit Sucks Thread

Guest Jayden

Guest Jayden

Stealing an idea from Draven, here's your chance to tell the world what you don't like about Chris Benoit without everyone jumping down your throat with mindless "he's the best in the business" comments. Don't get me wrong I've said over and over all the reasons why I love Benoit's toothless aggression, but rarely get the chance to say any of this..........

His mic work and lack of genuine charisma will always hold him back. It's the reason Kurt Angle has had so many more world title reigns than Benoit. Angle finds it much easier to get people emotionally involved in his matches because he has a personality.

The guy's too small, his great in ring talent for the most part makes up for it, but still it does hold him back. Look at the push someone like A-Train/Nathan Jones gets despite having very little talent just for being big.

His look is also pretty awful. His mis shapen body and bad looks hardly stand out. Vince McMahon once told Jake Roberts he had the worst possible look for a wrestler. I think Benoit comes a close second.

He can be one dimensional. Going back to Kurt Angle, he can play the role of a cheated face (against Austin Summerslam 2001 he was excellent), a dastardly heel, the underdog, the dominator, the machine, the cheat, the coward. Benoit plays the machine, the robot, and not a lot else. His matches, whilst always technically excellent, see him generally occupy one of two or three roles. The little underdog, the machine like heel and not much else really.

Could he ever be the man to carry a company, like Austin/Rock/Angle/even Triple H have proved they are capable of as World Champions? Never.

Edited by Jayden

Guest Seabass
hey...instead of just concentrating on Benoit...lets do other wrestlers who also have are popular or have had critical accliam...just a thought :)

Guest Jayden
Yeah, it makes sense. See I was going to say Angle, but the problem is I can't find much wrong with the guy, no matter how hard I try.

Guest Cactus Jack

I'm not of these "smarks" who gets off on anything JUST because Beniot's involved. I mean, forget rating a match on its physcology; enjoy them damn match for God's sake!

Anyway, I've no problem with Beniot. I think he has more chance of being champ now that there are 2 World Titles. Am I right in saying he quit WCW the day he won their World Title? If so, it will be hard to see if he can get the ball and run with it.

Guest Cactus Jack
Originally posted by Pabster

* Pabster lets the livid Crippler out of the cage.

Watch out Jayden! :)

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the thread title!

Guest The Crippler

:evil :evil :evil

This thread certainly won't be going in the hall of fame. :evil ;)

Guest Bundy

I DO NOT like Chris Benoit. Yeah, that's right. Ive accidentally followed him since his ECW days, and I've never seen what's so special about the guy. He may be a good technical wrestler, which is a valid point, but he cannot act, he has no charisma, he is 2 dimensional, etc. And what exactly does 'toothless agression' mean anyway? that's just stupid.

(prepares for a battering)

Guest The Crippler
I'm not really a fan of his current tights either. He should go back to wearing the ones he wore in 2000.

Guest Bundy
Originally posted by Chris2K

The 'toothless agression' thing comes from the WWE's motto from about 6 months ago 'Ruthless agression'. Benoit has a tooth missing, so it has changed to 'toothless'.

I know that. I mean 'Ruthless Agression' didn't mean anything in the first place, and now nobody uses it anyway, so why Toothless Agression?

I suppose it's a stupid thing for me to gripe about really, but it's like HBK's 'Don't Hunt What You Can't Kill' T-shirt. WTF is that supposed to mean?

Guest Jayden
Well seeing as it's an HBK t shirt, I tend to get the feeling that they are trying to suggest that hurting HBK is a bad idea, because he's indestructible or something and he'll come back and give you a great big wedgie or something. I mean, look, back at Summerslam last year Triple H hit him in his back with a sledgehammer and he's still here. Whooooh, check out HBK, he'll be here forever. I could be wrong though.

Guest Simon

How many times do you think 'he sucks on the mic' will come up in this thread? :)

I'd like to say it but its too plain a criticism I feel.... but it is true isn't it!

Plus he should go back to his old crippler tights. His new ones piss me off. He's the crippler damnit, not the rabid wolverine or whatever!

Guest Jung

Benoit, like zillions of others downfalls, are he's too short, and had no mike skills. But technically, it's not like he really needs mike skills to get over considering. Back in the 80's there were zillions like Benoit, who just got given a heel manager to talk for them, why WWE insists on having guys like Benoit, and others do promos and suck, and go how did that happen? Instead of giving them a heel manager, I really don't know.

If talent in ring, was the only thing, Benoit would be up there, unfortunately it isn't. Thus the other factors mean Benoit won't get to that final level, plain and simple. Can either be viewed as a criticism or just plain unfortunate.

Guest MillionLiraMan

If we're being honest about Benoit, much as I do like him, he can hardly be described as the total package. He does have what should be the most important thing, which is technical wrestling ability, but if you look beyond that (as Vince obviously does) then there isn't a whole lot more to recommend him. The whole 'Rabid Wolverine' gimmick doesn't really work for me, especially when you seldom see him cutting promos to get a gimmick over with the fans.

His microphone skills are often criticised as being his major fault, and I'd have to agree (not just for Simon's benefit ;)) that his mic skills are poor. He just doesn't give out the charisma of a Jericho or an Angle or an Austin when he cuts a promo. When he speaks it kind of sounds a bit contrived, it doesn't flow as naturally as when Austin or Rock are speaking, or Triple H for that matter. He could sound a lot more convincing on the microphone, but I think that part of the problem is that he doesn't really have a decent gimmick to push. When he came out before the Cena match leading up to Backlash he said he was 'the best damn technical wrestler' in the world, and the crowd popped huge for it. He could do better to play on hyping up his technical ability, perhaps being cocky with it, belittling heels as a face or being a cocky heel himself, rather than being the 'Rabid Wolverine' or having boring T-shirts with 'Toothless aggression' in plain writing on them (what is it with the WWE and crap plain T-shirts? The Rock's 'Hit it strong, hit it fast' is just about the worst idea for a T-shirt I've ever seen put into practice). That's not much of a gimmick to work with, so I think that a change there would help him.

He did have those promos before Royal Rumble, which the out and out Benoit marks used to defend him no end by saying that his promos were getting better, where he talked about his desire to win the title. Personally, I don't think those were great promos at all, as any number of people could have done that sort of promo. If you look at the emotion Jericho put into building up to WrestleMania with Shawn Michaels, while he still kept himself firmly in the role of the heel with his promos, that was great emotion portrayed by Jericho, facing his hero but trying to be cocky about himself at the same time. That might be a bit much suddenly to expect Benoit's promos to compare to that, but if you focus on Benoit's build up to the Rumble, it's difficult to feel the same emotion there, especially since when you've heard that kind of promo once it loses its impact when you hear it again for just as long. When he was saying 'If there's one thing I believe in, it's that I am better than Kurt Angle' that was great, but they should really have built up more on the old grudge match element between the two than Benoit repeating about how much he wants the title, perhaps going overboard trying to establish him as the face. OK, so I've focused a bit much on one event there, but that is what you often hear in defence of his lack of mic skills from the Benoit crowd so I thought I'd say my piece on that.

In general, as a heel he doesn't have to do as much of the promo work as the face does, and he can get himself over in other ways like ambushes and that sort of thing, but as a face his lack of mic skills really shows, because it tends to be that the heel has to carry the feud more rather than Benoit making a conscious effort to get himself over as the face, generally speaking. Even when he comes to the ring, he just gets into the ring and waits for his opponent, or for the match to start. Most bona fide faces will at least acknowledge the fans when they appear, or taunt the heel if they are already in the ring to heat up the crowd. Little things like that could easily be used to give him some more charisma and personality which, as has been said already, are factors which go a long way to explaining why Kurt Angle is considered to be main event and Chris Benoit is not.

Looks wise it's hard to picture him as more than a mid-carder, he doesn't have the look that Vince wants his champions to have, which is why he has yet to win the title while a guy like Brock Lesnar marches right into a title reign within months of debuting on TV with the company. That's not his fault by any means, just one of those things where if Vince can spot another big guy to go for the title shots and main events, then likely Benoit will continue to be overlooked for the championship. Right now it looks like they may be grooming Benoit for a title run later in the year, but those are just rumours so it would be wrong right now to assume that he will get the belt. Speaking as of now, you'd have to think that maybe his look and his lack of either skills or time on the microphone could be playing some part in holding him back from being the champion.

That's about all I have to say that is negative about Chris Benoit. I do actually like him, but even so I often think about the things I have mentioned above when I consider why Chris Benoit isn't main event status right now. Kurt Angle I can't really fault, and the only thing I would fault about Chris Jericho is that for the number two heel on Raw he tends to job maybe a bit too frequently, but that is pretty much all I can say about those two.