Useless people

Guest Peter K

Guest Peter K

Picture the scene:

Late 2002 - FIA's Headquarters

Mr Ecclestone and Mr Mosley think up of rules to spice up F1 - so many rules came in and a major re-vamp of the qualifying format.

Fast foward 6 months time - the rules are about as useless as a broken down F1 car........

Even though I admire Michael Schumacher - the general fans must be getting fed up of the dominace - there is no let up in the Ferrari's dominace.

If you was Bernie and Max - what would you do to spice up the racing?

For me I would do this:

Standardise all racing parts i.e. = make all parts the same - that way all teams are equal and remove the unneccessary technical gizmos which hinder open racing but whilst keeping safety at a maximum.

I would also throw away traction control and launch control as well and throw away automatic gearboxes.

What would you do and explain.

Cheers!

Guest MillionLiraMan

They are throwing away traction control and launch control as far as I'm aware, just they are phasing them out rather than suddenly saying that they are no longer allowed, to give teams a chance to adjuts to such a dramatic change. Also, I don't think they use automatic gearboxes anyway, they have the switches on the steering wheel now but that's it. They could maybe move the clutches back to being foot clutches, like David Coulthard had opted to use a few times before anyway, but I don't know what else they could do really. They can enever fully standardise parts as there are different manufacturers and the like so if they did that there would be no different teams. No team can afford or would want to pay for the running of every car or driver, so I can't see how that would ever happen.

The changes that they brought in this year were pretty drastic, the most sweeping changes that we have seen since the technological advances were introduced to the cars. Unless they want to make it unfeasible for the smaller teams to run cars (as it is hard enough as things stand for them to adapt), then I don't see an awful lot more they can change, certainly not for this season at any rate.

The fact is that whatever they decide, whatever changes are implemented, Michael Schumacher wins races because, quite simply, he is easily the best driver in Formula 1 right now. Short of banning him or sabotaging his car, there isn't much more they can do other than hope he has an off day and that someone will win. If he was winning by cheating all of the time or having it all his own way then that would be different, but he has had to adapt to change as much as anyone, especially since a large number of these changes have been introduced specifically to try to stop him form winning. The fact is that he has been the best for the last few years and unless someone else comes along and beats him for the title fairly, or he gets injured, there's not a great deal of chance for him to relinquish his dominance any time soon.

Guest Peter K

Who do you view as the man with the most potential to beat Micheal?

I think Fernanado Alonso is the man.

I found out something today:

As it appears that next season - the semi-automatic gearboxes will be outlawed - everyone must use manual gearboxes! This will be interesting IMHO.

From Silverstone - ITV says that traction control is outlawed apparently......

But for me I admire Michael but I would like to see more closer racing with overtakes a-plently.

Cheers!

Guest ......cjr......

Micheal aint the best driver on the sercute. Alonso is by far.

To prove it, when Ferreri got there new car, Schumacher won right, but Alonso was only a point of a second behind Shumacher in qualifiying. And with Ferraris being 20 miles faster then Renault who have Alonso that proves that Alonso is better, because even with a 20 mile per hour slower car, he manadged to stay a point of a second behind him.

CJR

Guest Peter K

Excellent point CJR!

But what about yesterday race? - it was a Ferrari whitewash.

Even with Michael's car on fire - he still wins! - Extraordinary!

Guest ......cjr......

Yesterdays race was a shamballs. Montoya should of won by far, bad thing was, i had a bet with My mate that Montoya would win and he said Schumacher, i was there all hyped and excited that Montoya was winning, then what happens. his bloddy engine blows :( man that sucked.

The question you have to ask now is, what will happen in the leadership, with Schumacher only 2 points from Rakionen and Mclaren getting there new car, will Kimi take it now by far? It should be brilliant.

Now one problem i see, is the next race is moteo carlo. Its a street race with only one straight. The new ferrari and Mclaren wont do nothing. Cause they wont get the speed up, my money is on Renault for the upcoming race, Trulli and Alonso. Cause they are by far the best drivers on there and can handle Carlo easy.

Thanks

CJR

Guest Peter K

Totally agree with you CJR - Alonso will take Monaco GP for sure.

Even with reports that Ron Dennis always states he will not rush the new McLaren - I think it will come out at the Canadian GP - the new car should blow Ferrari out of the water for sure.

Mate - this summer should be awesome!

Cheers!

The first grand prixs were only competitive because Ferrari had their 2002 car. Admittedly, McLaren did as well, but they had 2003 parts on it.

Ever since the 2003 Ferrari car was brought in, they've destroyed everyone, and yet again, the races have begun to become boring. Apart from Schumy's fire, what else happened at the A1-Ring?

And I'm very sure that the date for the traction control has been moved back from Silverstone, possibly until next season.

The main problem for overtaking now is that they're moving to circuits that have very few overtaking zones, Monaco especially.

Guest ......cjr......

Agreed with chris, The F1 was awesome at the beggining of the season, Kimi was up there, brilliant stuff, Alonso, Trulli, all challening for the main spot.

Now Schumacher is in with the 2003 car its back to the old 2002, where its Schumacher all the way. And quite frankly its boring, people will lost intrest.

Yesterdays race as ok i guess, main highlight was Schumachers car on fire, class stuff. Montoya going off was class. Also Alonso coming from near the back to like 8th then going out. Still some good stuff, shame about the finish.

Still i heard Schumacher wont be with Ferrari after this season due to them not paying him enough, so maybe Alonso would go with Ferrari depending on his contract with Renault. Then Schumacher go with Willians cause they have offered him the most.

Its also good to see alot of people on TWO who are intrested in F1, i never thought any of you were.

CJR, Thanks.

Guest ......cjr......

Man i swear i heard his contract was running out, and that they would not pay him the money he needed, then williams offered him 26 million or something. Still no decision was made.

I will put my life on it this was discussed, and williams put more money in than Ferrari.

CJR

Originally posted by ......cjr......

Yesterdays race was a shamballs. Montoya should of won by far, bad thing was, i had a bet with My mate that Montoya would win and he said Schumacher, i was there all hyped and excited that Montoya was winning, then what happens. his bloddy engine blows :( man that sucked

I guess that you forgot that he still had to pit unlike the others when you were getting excited.

Yes in the past few years f1 has become a tad boring but theres not much that you could really do.

One idea me and my dad had was you have your qualifying and award points for the fatest and so on in decreasing order.

Then for the race itself you totally reverse the grid yes the faster cars will eventully get to the front but it will increase overtaking and the first twenty laps or so would be very entertaining.