*Apparent* Warning: Computer Virus

Guest ChrisfromBirtley

Guest ChrisfromBirtley

This is purely apparent.

I heard on (guess?) Metro Radio that some geeky kid has spent months now slaving away at his computer, and has managed to create some sort of micro computer virus, uploaded it, and sent it to quite a few net users, so, if you get any strange un recognisable emails, which you always get by a law anyway, I would reccommend you NOT to open them, and delete them straght away.

What does it do you may or may not ask:

It does some sort of damage to your computer software system apparently, causing your system to shut down, and you not being able to reboot your P.C apparently.

Has anyone had this?

How is recognised, if yes?

Cheers!

Chris.

Guest Vampiro
I had the pissin thing! If i could get hold of the guy that did this.. well i wont say what id do! grrr.. just this minute sorted my PC out. The foo'

Guest ChrisfromBirtley

Update - We Are Saved

I have the counter way to stop this from affecting your computer.

Also, updates:

The Virus is called Web Worm, and is set to effect Microsoft on Saturday.

Below is the counter site, where you can download the scanner, that immediatley tells you if you have the virus.

http://www.securityresponse.symatic.com/avcenter/fixblast

Yes, the Center spelling is correct, not Centre, Center, the American way.

Install it in your desktop, or somwhere safe.

For more information, contact me.

This is thanks to Night Owls Caller last night.

Cheers!

Chris.

Guest Feenix

Yes, this was the "Blaster" virus. A cleaver little worm wrote by some dumb kid somewhere. How do I know it was a kid? Cause the person who wrote it sent an e-mail to miscrosoft saying "Hey Billy why'd you leave this vunerability in your system"?

Which is stupid because Bill Gates doesn't have much of a say in the programming of OS'. Sure, he can say what he wants but he isn't the one programming it.

So whoever made the virus doesn't know their stuff.

And they were also too lazy to even bother making a proper virus. This vunerability could have been exploited much more effectivley. All the virus did was crash people's computers. It could have been made to corrupt entire systems.

So while it may have been annoying to some of you just be glad it wasn't made to wipe your entire hard drive.

I'm gonna shut up now. :roll

Guest Vampiro

But i read somwhere that was just the start of it. And the worst stuff is yet to come. So its jus logic to start of with a little warning just crashing your computers before they move to bigger stuff.

Dunno if that is the case, but i just heard around that there is yet the worst to come.

Guest Peter K

With most viruses - if your computer is infected - some of them will "set" to explode on a particular day or date or time - meaning if your computer has contacted the virus - it will just sit down there causing the computer to crashes - without an approriate anti-virus to combat it - it will do loads of damage but some of them will just "explode" - meaning killing the computer and an hefty bill of repairs - normally I and the repairers charge people £15 per hour to repair the computer.

With worms - they can copy files and spread through mIRC chat programs - so the clever little no-gooders can get information what is in your computer - and possibly send an virus or an trojan - bye bye hard drive - it's time to send to the repairers to replace it.

You all - get this advice - if you don't have an anti-virus program - get one - you can get one FREE for charge at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php - it's a wonderful program - I have it!

Guest Cactus Jack

PK,

Can you run two anti-virus programmes at once? For example, I have Norton with out-of-date definations, so could I still download your free recommended programme?

Guest therock88
Norton doesnt work with this, i had it, but as i work for aol tech support we were hit and i was doin it all day, so it took me about 2 mins at home..

Guest Peter K
Originally posted by Cactus Jack

PK,

Can you run two anti-virus programmes at once? For example, I have Norton with out-of-date definations, so could I still download your free recommended programme?

Cactus, I don't know that really my speciality really are to do with hardware and not software! - sorry I can't be of any help :(

Cactus - do you have an subscription to Norton? - if yes - you can download updates for free from there.

therock88 - The best way to kill the MSBlaster worm is to download the security patch provided by Microsoft free of charge.

Guest Peter K
Originally posted by Cactus Jack

Hi PK,

It came free with my Laptop, and the free subscription ran out in March.

OK, I don't want to get all risky - I would recommend you ask someone who are very experienced in software to ask if it is possible to have two anti-virus programs running at the same time.

Like I said before - hardware're my game :)

Sorry I couldn't be of any help :(

Cheers

Guest Cactus Jack
Originally posted by Peter K

OK, I don't want to get all risky - I would recommend you ask someone who are very experienced in software to ask if it is possible to have two anti-virus programs running at the same time.

Like I said before - hardware're my game :)

Sorry I couldn't be of any help :(

Cheers

N/P PK :xyx