Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

RVD gets Controversial!

Guest Seabass

Guest Seabass

i spotted this at the Smashwrestling forums and decided it's (hopefully) worth posting here.

while the first three aren't much, it's the last three that are intresting

Taken from the Lords of Pain Website

The following are interview highlights from KSPN radio 710 in LA yesterday (derived from 1Wrestling.com):

- RVD talked about how he plans on having a wrestler guest at his comic book store once a month.

- A caller asked who would win between RVD & HBK, and one of the hosts yelled out "HBK is a p**sy!"

- RVD put over Big Show and Brock Lesnar as the strongest people he's worked with.

- RVD jokingly did admit to the fact that he does work somewhat stiff.

- On the subject of not getting a huge push, Rob just said he does what he's asked to do, and if you let it get to yourself, it can be frustrating. He also said that politics were one of the things he had to get used to in the WWE lockerroom.

- He also said he's in the middle of backstage politics right now.

- Finally, he said it's tough to accept that Shane and Bischoff can headline shows while he opens, but he's used to it by now.

Guest Walshy

Here is a more in deaph summery of the interview from themayhem.com.

Rob Van Dam was the special guest on Joe McDonnell yesterday on KSPN radio 710 in Los Angeles. After reading this recap, visit the link at the bottom of the page for Stephanie McMahon SPANKING a 320 lb fan! Here are some of the highlights from it:

* Rob Van Dam talked about this comic book shop and how he would be getting someone from the wrestling world to sign autographs once a month with him. RVD did make a couple of Jeff Hardy references so he looks to be the guy.

* When asked of Triple H would be signing at the store, RVD replied with quote, "Strangely, No!".

* The topic of why RVD isn't getting a bigger push in WWE when the fans pop for him every night was brought up. RVD said that he does his part every night and that it can be frustrating if you let it. He also discussed what it was like to first come to WWE, saying the locker room was way different then any other locker rooms he had been in before. He mentioned that politics was one of the reasons why it was different.

* Another caller brought up the "politics" situation in WWE and RVD basically said he is in the middle of it right now and doesn't understand how non-wrestlers like Shane McMahon and Eric Bischoff can get a headlining match while he will open the show with Kane. RVD said he has come to accept it over time.

* RVD also mentioned that he has other interests besides wrestling such as his new comic book store. RVD said that he didn't want to be "one of those guys" who wants to sit and watch all the matches before and after like some of the guys in the back do. He said he didn't have to be wrestling when he is 50-60 like some others do in the business.

* The topics of him working stiff in the ring was also brought up. He mentioned that he has worked stiff and he won't argue otherwise.

* Some other quick notes saw RVD say that he misses ECW the most and that it was his favorite part of his career. He said the strongest and most powerful wrestlers he has ever worked with are Big Show and Brock Lesnar.

Overall I'd say that it isn't that shocking, i mean its not like the politics in the wwe are a huge secret which no one knows about, and from RVD's point of view what does it matter, what are they going to do, not push him!?! :D

Originally posted by Walshyboy

RVD said that he didn't want to be "one of those guys" who wants to sit and watch all the matches before and after like some of the guys in the back do.

I quite like RVD and all but the one thing (apart from the lack of decent stick work :devil ) that's missing from him is a knowledge of how storytelling works in the ring. He relies on spots (albeit, at times, spectacular spots) and, to be honest, Shane O tells a better story in the ring that RVD.

If he bothered to "sit and watch all the matches before and after like some of the guys in the back" he might find his work and his persona moving on and improving, rather than stagnating as he is.

This makes me sound like an RVD hater but I think he's great - it's just the comment quoted above seems to be a singular case of "Marking for one's self" (Goldberg has the same trouble). If he doesn't think that there's anything left for him to learn about ringwork he's gonna be pretty sad in five years time when his back and knees will no longer allow him to be as reckless as he once was and he'll have to rely on good ol' fashioned wrasslin' to get himself over - not a chance!

Guest Rainecloud

I'm glad that RVD is speaking his mind, because everyone else in the Raw/Smackdown locker rooms are too afraid to do anything about the situation the business is in. However, I fear that after this interview, RVD may either get put in lower-card matches, or even worse, fired...

Thumbs up to him for speaking his mind, though.

Admittedly RVD does seem over confident, but come on, imagine if you were one of the most popular guys in the promotion, when 2 guys who don't even wrestle get 10 times more time than you do. Also I can see how his unwillingness to learn could seem very arrogant, but he does seem super digruntled, and in a way I can see his point, in the fact no matter how popular you are, or how great a wrestler you are, 2 non workers who know nothing about wrestling in a match, have more time on a wrestling show than you, the wrestler, does, and that could certainly be a reason why he's not wanting to better himself, cause he doesn't see the point.

Its good to see RVD letting his frustrations out, but i can see Vince & co throwing a little fit and moaning at him for bringing up the backstage politics. Ok everyone knows anyway, but we all know that the WWE doesnt like its stars speaking out.

Acid, dunno if you meant to, but the way you said it made it sound like you thought Shane was a better wrestler than RVD... which is complete poo!

He no doubt finds the politics in the WWE as frustrating as any fan who knows that's why his favourite star isn't getting pushed even though they obviously should be. Personally I'm sick and tired of it, and that's why I'm gonna stick with TNA now I think. Hopefully RVD will end up doing the same! :D

Edited by Simon

Originally posted by Simon

Acid, dunno if you meant to, but the way you said it made it sound like you thought Shane was a better wrestler than RVD... which is complete poo!

May I be birched mercilessly if such a thought were to cross my mind!

However, I stand by that idea that however entertaining RVD can be [DAMN, he can be good, w00t!©Pab & Goldy)] , Shane often makes it easier to suspend my disbelief and watch a match with the "marks" view. To steal from another poster from WAY back when... RVD does sometimes seem to ask his opponent to "oversell" too often in order that he may get ready for the next highspot.

Just had to clear it up obviously Acid, couldn't have anyone say such a thing! :)

I think I see where you are coming from, but personally I suppose RVD is one of my favourites in the WWE so I'm gonna stick up for him no matter what :P

So if someone has to sell a legdrop that RVD missed by a mile, in my eyes it never happened!

Guest Walshy

Acid, remember the RVD Vs Undertaker match from a Raw last year for the undisputed title, when that match happened the whole build up to it made you root for RVD and in the end for the match it did make you suspend your disbelief, but when you look at it, since then RVD hasn't had a push at all, he is in the Midcard and nothing he can do can seem to get him out of it, so why bother doing any storytelling in the ring, his matchs last about 4 mins anyway!

I hope that RVD gets fired for his comments then goes to TNA, he can then start feuds with AJ Styles and restart a feud with Jerry Lynn, which will make for great tv and get TNA to a higher level, but then again i may be dreaming. :roll