Your thoughts..

Guest Vampiro

Guest Vampiro

On the new chelsea?

I just watched the game today. I thought they played quite well. I know its only the first game and everything, but they look together already. I thought the penalty was very ver harsh. If you manage to catch Citys game with Charlton.. on the penalty the keeper for charlton does exactly the same thing as what cudicini did. That should be an interesting debate if anyone picks up on it, which im sure they will.

I thought veron played very well, bridge also did. None of the other new signings put in a brilliant perfromance, but chelsea played very well overall.

Liverpool, i have to say are a terrible team. I dont think they will do anything this season. There display was poor.

I think Chelsea did well but then I also think Liverpool badly missed Gerrard and Hamman as theres no way Biscan and Cheyrou would be in Houlliers first choice line up.

Veron played well first half but kind of dissapeared in the second and the other new boys seemed to do well but I was impressed with Lampard myself. I think Chelsea will be alot closer to Man Utd than people are predicting.

I thought Chelsea looked pretty good, wasn't that impressed with Veron, did the odd decent pass, but for me, and for what you expect, he weren't great, Duff and Bridge should be great in the season, but while Johnson is good attacking, I thought his defending was pretty lousy, Diouf leaked all over him, which is embarassing.

I thought if Liverpool get Kewell in the right spot, he could do great, was lovely seeing him beat John Terry for pace despite starting about 7 yards behind him:)

But both sides seemed good. Tis great to see all the top sides, starting off relatively confident, with flashes of quality, which is what everyone wants to see. Should be a great season.

Except one thing for Ranieri, when you have 1 left footer, and 1 right footer on the wings, how about playing the left footer on the left, and the right footer on the right??? Same with Liverpool.

While I admit both sides have outstanding wingers, they'd be useless playing in the wrong place, and I think if they played an Arsenal or Man U, they'd get picked off by wingers, playing in the right place.

Guest MillionLiraMan

I must say although I was neutral at the start I was glad Chelsea won in the end after the penalty farce. A debatable throw-in, then a ridiculous re-take decision. I've seen any number of penalties where worse has happened and they've been OK, yet I couldn't see what was wrong with that one and Owen gets another chance.

I think Owen is really overrated, no wonder Real Madrid decided against him a while ago. He scored a dodgy re-taken penaly, now everyone will just remember that and go on about how great he is. He used to be good, but I don't think he's shown anything like truly world class form for a long time now on a regular basis. When you've seen Van Nistelrooy and Larsson giving top class performances (think Larsson in Europe last season before the inevitable piss-taking of the SPL occurs), and then you see Owen being hyped up almost as much, it really is baffling.

Good game though, neither side looked that rusty for a first game so they should do well, just that penalty needed to be rectified which old Jimmy 'I have a club owner who can pay me properly now instead of getting wages in brown paper bags from Jesus Gil at Atlético' Hasselbaink did. Shocking re-take decision, the kind you'd expect at Dens Park when Barry Ferguson keeps missing them! :D (Waits for The Crippler with the backlash!)

Guest The Crippler
Originally posted by MillionLiraMan

Shocking re-take decision, the kind you'd expect at Dens Park when Barry Ferguson keeps missing them! :D (Waits for The Crippler with the backlash!)

That is not even worthy of a comment. :mad :evil

;)

Guest Peter K

The new look Chelsea was impressive - but they seemed to panic when Liverpool equlised but relaxed when Jimmy scored - but if Chelsea keep up the style of play - they'll challenge for honours provided there're no injuries - I can sense Veron'll have a great time playing for Chelsea!

I'm already looking foward to seeing Mutu making his Chelsea debut whenever Claudio Raineri puts him.

There is two concerns I have with Chelsea - one is Red Rom's purchasing midfielders - today newspapers says Chelsea is about to get ANOTHER midfielder! - they already has enough and decent midfielders!

Another concern is their defence - they looked suspect at times - Red Rom should stop worrying about midfielders and tell Claudio to find decent defenders.

I was actually at the Liverpool Vs Chelsea game (I was on a football-crazy holiday, watching Man City Vs Barca, Blackburn Vs Wolves and Liverpool Vs Chelsea in less than 2 weeks. I'm hardcore!), and I was fairly impressed with Chelsea. A team with that much quality in it doesn't need much time to gel, as great players will fit into any team in the world.

The most shocking thing for me though was that Chelsea didn't win by more goals. Liverpool looked utterly awful, and Houllier really does need his head examined when he comes up with his horrible tactis. Playing your best winger behind the front two, and letting Heskey and Cheyrou NEAR the starting line up should be an arrestable offence.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you much about the penalty decision, because no one had a clue what was going on after Owen missed his frst attempt. The Liverpool fans around me were saying things like "Who's getting sent off?" and it didn't cross their minds that the penalty would have to be retaken. Anyway, it was a great match to be at, but not the best that I saw that weekend. Blackburn Vs Wolves was a great match, but it was made better by the fact that I got some kick ass autographs before the match (Dwight Yorke, Brad Friedel, Andy Cole, David Thompson), and actually had conversations with Amoruso and Tugay about Glasgow, Rangers, Dick Advocaat and the fact that I know a model that Amoruso used to go out with.

Russ- So...er...I know Linzi.

Lorenzo- MAMA MIA!

Well, it wasn't quite like that, he just said "Oh, right, good", then we started talking about an Italian restraunt in Sauchiehall St.

As for the Man City match...Goldy, you've got yourself a fine stadium there. Shame about the team.

And to stay on topic, I got to see Roman Abramovich in person. I was hoping for an Arthur Fortune style throw-money-into-the-crowd shtick, but it wasn't to be.

Guest Ed_666

I didn't see the match, but Chelsea look like they've got themselves a decent team going. Some people have been writing them off as just buying up "over-paid prima donnas", but since when were Damien Duff and Wayne Bridge prima donnas?

Selling Veron was a stupid mistake by us, because he's the sort of play who can make a good team brilliant, and Chelsea are about twice as likely to win the league as if we hadn't done it.

Whoever arranged it at United needs kicking squarely in the nuts, and Fergie's insistance that Kleberson is as good as Veron just sounds idiotic. Veron is a world class playmaker, and Kleberson was going to sign for Leeds for £3m!!

The penalty decision was an absolute disgrace, and clearly biased towards Liverpool. If he'd come off his line and saved it then ok, but since Owen put it the OTHER WAY, it shouldn't have been retaken at all. Add to the fact that Cuddicini was about six inches off his line, and I hope the linesman was bribed, or he's just incompetant or a Liverpool fan.

Ed

Guest Ed_666
Originally posted by jungmuta

Except one thing for Ranieri, when you have 1 left footer, and 1 right footer on the wings, how about playing the left footer on the left, and the right footer on the right??? Same with Liverpool.

Fergie seems to have this sort of common sense blockage too.

Against Bolton, he had Solksjaer (striker) playing on the right wing, and Giggs playing on the left wing. He then brought on Ronaldo (plays either wing, but usually right), and decided to push someone else up with van Nistelrooy.

Now common sense would dictate that since Ronaldo plays right wing, Giggs plays left wing, and Solksjaer is a striker, that's how they'd line up, but nooooooo, not Fergie, he decides that he'll stick Ronaldo on the left wing and play Giggs up front!!

Giggs is not, never has been, and never will be a striker, as we saw when he missed an open goal against Arsenal in the cup. All his best work is done from the wing. Solksjaer is a far better finisher, and more used to playing up front.

But Giggs is Fergie's pet, and he seems to think the sun shines out of his arse, and so relentlessly tries to push him as a striker, when he's clearly poor at it, and people like Forlan and Solksjaer never get near the penalty area while Giggs messes up chance after chance through the middle.

Add to that his insistance on playing the useless 4-5-1 formation, and I wish Fergie had retired when he said he was going to. Then we could get back to 4-4-2 and dominating teams instead of scraping 1-0's.

In case anyone's wondering what I mean, in the Bolton game we struggled to make chances for 60 mins with Butt and Keane (two defensive players, why?!) in central midfield, only scoring from a free-kick.

Then Butt comes off and we go back to 4-4-2 with Scholes in the central midfield, and score 3 goals and miss a penalty in 25 mins.

Of course the next game we'll be back to 4-5-1 again until we're behind and try to salvage something.

Ed

Guest Tajiri
his insistance on playing the useless 4-5-1 formation

They weren't playing 4-5-1 they were playing more of 4-2-3-1 very similar to what Real Madrid played all of last season.

Butt Keane

Solskjaer Giggs Scholes

Van Nistlerooy

4-4-2 is a very tired predicatble line up that none of the major clubs or nations use anymore, Giggs has never played as a striker, he plays in the space behind Van Nistlerooy, Solskjaer has excelled in the right side of midfield role and the reasoning behing playing Ronaldo on the left is means he is more dangerous cutting in inside as shown by the penalty he won and in setting up the third goal.

Thing is, what I meant is, Solskjaer and Giggs still perform to a very good standard when they play in those positions.

When Duff and Gronkjaer, were playing opposite sides, it was glaringly obvious that it wasn't working. With Man U, they had to change stuff, cause obviously Kleberson, and Ronaldo hadn't played, thus they had to make the best of the situation. With Chelsea, Duff and Gronkjaer were proven both decent players, in the ones they eventually played at on Sunday, thus why I found confusing.

I think Chelsea have a good chance this year, if Ranieri doesn't do a Houllier, i.e. constantly keep switching the side around every game. I know you want to keep everyone happy, but by doing that, you just have no flow and fluidity in the side, and they become disorganised, like Liverpool. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Guest Peter K

The 4-2-3-1 formation are very good and like Tajiri said - Real Madrid use it - it is good as there is a sense of unpredictablity and real football - as well almost guranateed flowing football result! - but it does have it downsides - the midfield must support the striker.

Whilst with 4-4-2, you can expect either one of your strikers to work with you - for example, we have Ruud - he could be supported by Giggs, Scholes, Solskjaer.

If the midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 breaks down - the defenders are subject to intense attack as there're no suffficient support from both midfielder and strikers.

Guest Ed_666
Originally posted by Tajiri

4-4-2 is a very tired predicatble line up that none of the major clubs or nations use anymore,

You do realise that we won 7 Premierships playing 4-4-2, and the other three were won by teams also playing 4-4-2?

The only reason we won last year (apart from Arsenal dropping lots of points) was because Solksjaer pushed up and made a second striker.

In almost EVERY game we played in the league (probably 90%) we were rubbish and hardly created any chances with one striker. As soon as we played two strikers we scored hatfuls of goals and dominated teams.

Same on Saturday - hardly created anything for an hour, reverted to 4-4-2 and dominated and scored 3 goals and missed a pen.

Originally posted by Tajiri

Giggs has never played as a striker, he plays in the space behind Van Nistlerooy, Solskjaer has excelled in the right side of midfield role and the reasoning behing playing Ronaldo on the left is means he is more dangerous cutting in inside as shown by the penalty he won and in setting up the third goal.

Giggs has certainly played as a second striker, even if he's slightly behind van Nistelrooy, but that's where Cantona and Sheringham both played.

However Fergie's complete admiration of Giggs means other players are played out of position so that Giggs can play out of position too!!

Scholes has been played on the wing, and been useless, and as soon as he's moved to the centre he's far better.

I've come to the conclusion that if Giggs loses his pace Fergie will put him in the goals rather than leave him out!

I wouldn't mind if he scored tons of goals, but the vast majority of his best work is from the wing. Up front he rarely wins headers, and frequently loses the ball as there's less space to dribble.

Ed

Guest Ed_666
Originally posted by Peter K

The 4-2-3-1 formation are very good and like Tajiri said - Real Madrid use it - it is good as there is a sense of unpredictablity and real football - as well almost guranateed flowing football result! - but it does have it downsides - the midfield must support the striker.

I don't know where everyone gets this big thing about Real Madrid from. They scraped the title because Sociedad (who were almost relegated the season before) blew it in the last few games, and the were comprehensively beaten by Juventus in the CL.

They were very lucky to beat us in the quarter final, in fact they only had about 4 attempts on goal at Old Trafford. They just happened to score 3, and their keeper made a string of saves. They could easily have lost 7-1 that night. They did a similar thing in the first leg, which was entirely cause by us trying to play defensive.

Originally posted by Peter K

Whilst with 4-4-2, you can expect either one of your strikers to work with you - for example, we have Ruud - he could be supported by Giggs, Scholes, Solskjaer.

If the midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 breaks down - the defenders are subject to intense attack as there're no suffficient support from both midfielder and strikers.

What I hate about 4-2-3-1 is that it creates very few chances. Look at the match against Chelsea last season. We had one (count it, ONE) attempt at goal (not on target) in the whole of the first half, and that came from a bad kick by their goalie!

It's not just some of the time though, it's virtually EVERY match. The only times it's looked good is a couple of times in Europe, but I don't really care about that.

4-4-2 is vastly superior in every respect. Scholes scores more when there's two strikers to occupy the defence, van Nistelrooy isn't marked constantly when he has a partner, and crosses have far more targets.

Any other formation results in far less goals scored, unless we score every opportunity that arises.

Ed

Guest Tajiri
Same on Saturday - hardly created anything for an hour, reverted to 4-4-2 and dominated and scored 3 goals and missed a pen.

They never reverted to 4-4-2 on saturday, they made like for like swaps keeping the same formation.

4-4-2 is vastly superior in every respect. Scholes scores more when there's two strikers to occupy the defence, van Nistelrooy isn't marked constantly when he has a partner, and crosses have far more targets.

Scholes scored over 20 last season and van Nistlerooy over 40 using the same formation they used on Saturday with the majority of the time only 1 striker was on the pitch.