Fan Clubs

WWE Extreme Rules 2015 Discussion Thread - April 26, 2015 from Chicago, IL (#9)

TPIB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I genuinely don't know what this whole Cena as US title holder is about. It isn't elevating the belt and nothing has changed about the Cena character so it's not interesting. He could have quite easily beaten Rusev without the belt for the same reaction and you can't tell me there isn't someone in the midcard who might as well have the title for what it's worth.

Guest Kontrolled
Well Omega I think the Cena thing is to hype the guy who beats him for the belt... I agree that he and Rusev would get the same reaction with or with out the belt. But just think about Cena defending the title for 2 more weeks against mid-card stars, than maybe the third Raw.... Neville comes out and beats him for the title.... gives an amazing push to the young wrestler and to the U.S.A. title

Does it though? Because no doubt whoever beats Cena is gonna be a heel beating him in some kind of screwy fashion, and then Cena will come out the following week and not give a single f*ck about getting beat or losing his title (like he usually does) and smile and salute and just do the same old schtick again.

The only way this is gonna really be beneficial is if they build up a heel sufficiently and then have him beat Cena clean. Maybe more than once. But the last time I can remember someone beating Cena twice cleanly would be Punk in 2011, so I honestly can't see who they'd have on the main roster now who could be built up to "Cenabuster" level.

Edited by dsrchris
  • Heart 1

Neville is never going to beat Cena for the title, I mean just never. I know I recently said you can't predict anything but Neville beating of all people John Cena in the next few weeks is as likely as Rollins dropping the title to Sami Zayn.

The problem with the theory that whoever takes the title off Cena gets heat is that it either has to be a heel beating Cena for the title in which case why would you be hyping the heel or it'll be lost in a multi-man match where Cena doesn't get pinned or if he does it's after some ridiculous move or interference in which case where's the rub of beating Cena actually happen?

I mean, I know the real reason is that you "have" to keep Cena a champ whilst not actually being world champ but it's just so transparent and at the same time they've basically killed the best new heel they had on the roster in Rusev by having him bitch out to Cena for the last however many weeks.

Guest bigmatt

I'm not totally sure what the objection is? It seems to be "Cena is still being Cena". Yes he is. He will always be. He is their top guy, he's not going to be booked like shit, he's going to be protected, as he should be. Unless they can build a babyface to be a cemented top guy that draws, he will always be this Cena. If they do he can then turn heel if he and they want to. But until then he will always be Cena. And you have a choice, do you want him to be Cena in the main event or do you want him to be Cena, King of the Mid-card, carrying a secondary title and being Cena against midcarders rather then Cena against new main-eventers. It's a no-brainer for me.

The idea that this is bad because Cena will only drop the title to a heel with a dirty finish or in a multi-man match is weird. It hasn't happened. I don't get angry over bad things that might happen in the future. If it happens I will moan about it. Until then I wont let it tar what is happening. I would think and hope that this whole thing is built for someone from NXT to debut and beat him clean and win the title. That's what I'd do. But not for a while.

I genuinely don't know what this whole Cena as US title holder is about. It isn't elevating the belt
How isn't it? It's on the top guy in the company who is defending it week in and week out and winning clean? When has it been positioned higher than this in this company?

you can't tell me there isn't someone in the midcard who might as well have the title for what it's worth.

Worth? It's worth nothing? If this title is on Barrett or Ziggler or whoever, how is that any better? It's a meaningless title on a meaningless guy.

Was the U.S title positioned any higher when it was on Sheamus in October? Was it more prestigious?

and at the same time they've basically killed the best new heel they had on the roster in Rusev by having him bitch out to Cena for the last however many weeks.

The best new heel that is a 6ft Bulgarian guy getting heat by pretending to be a monstrous Russian heel brought in from an outside territory in the 80's. Russia is great. America is garbage. I like Rusev and think he's got something and has done a good job in the role but come on. He's an absolute cartoon. He was built solely to be beaten by a Mr. USA babyface at Wrestlemania and he was. He's not been killed by being beaten clean by the top babyface once at Wrestlemania. That's what he was designed for. His task to be anybody was to still be something after he's done the job at Wrestlemania and moved on. We'll see. It's probably not helping that Lana is getting over so much as a babyface, they'll probably split them up now.