Fan Clubs (beta)

Anyone else disappointed in the choice of Brock Lesnar's opponents?

Guest Jaxical

Since returning he's faced John Cena multiple times, HHH multiple times & The Undertaker multiple times. He's faced Kofi Kingston in a squash match. He's faced Seth Rollins in a squash match and two triple threat matches. He's faced Roman Reigns in a match that was way better than it had any right to be. He faced CM Punk in, what was easily his best match since returning. And he's faced the Big Show, and will be doing so again at the MSG special.

Way too much repetition for my liking there. He's a special attraction and should be getting a chance to give some different memorable performances against different stars. Half of his matches have been against guys that were around during his first run 10 years ago and they're just not that exciting. And then 2 of his matches against current stars were squash matches. Punk and Reigns have easily been the two most exciting opponents for him and I feel like a lot of that is down to it being something new.

I'd have to respectfully disagree in your opinion that his matches with Cena, Triple H and Undertaker weren't exciting (sure, the Mania match disappointed due to an early concussion, but the rematch was great).

Brock is a special attraction and as he is not on the shows every week, he's not wrestling on every PPV, each match has it's own unique atmosphere because Brock brings a unique atmosphere into things. While I agree the Suplex City shenanigans could be toned down, there's also the "logic" behind it; Brock doesn't have to do anything but get his hands on you then suplex you, suplex you again, suplex you again, suplex you again, suplex you again, suplex you again and suplex you again until you can't get up, so why would he?

I'm kind of 50/50 on the issue of who has been chosen to face Brock.

The booking issues I feel mainly came before he beat Taker. HHH seems like a bad choice now, but at the time the two had never gone 1 on 1 so it was fresh at the time - they just dragged it out for too long so HHH could get his Mania win over him. Also having him face Cena off the bat and get beaten, his first match back was stupid and really it needed the streak breaker to rehabilitate him because of the loss to HHH, the loss to Cena and the fact it took Heyman interfering to allow him to beat Punk.

The Taker streak match seemed a weird choice at the time, not the ending and Brock being the one to end but just it being Taker v Brock but then looking back at it does make sense. Taker had never beaten Brock 1 on 1, Heyman lost the year before with Punk and wanted a second bite at being the man to manage the 1 in 21 and 1, Brock and Taker respect each other and Taker is a huge fan of combat sports so wanted to face a former UFC champion - but its a shame that concussion came along and ruined the actual match.

Since the streak, they have by and large booked it right and against the right guys. We got matches against Reigns, Rollins, he beat the tar out of Cena which pleased the IWC and both he and Taker look like they are being given a chance to put the Wrestlemania pap match behind them (but that terrible of finish at Summerslam doesn't help anyone after all, couldn't they have had the ref bumped, miss the tap, Brock release and then Taker go low rather then the timekeeper crap?). He elevated the title while he held it, it produced excellent matches with Rollins and Cena as well as Reigns

The only issue I have is putting him in there with the Big Show again. They did all they could do against each other in Brock's first run, they finished it with the Stretcher match and put a line under it and that was when Show still had some go in him.

As for who I'd like to see face him that's new, well I'd like to see the Wyatt family take a run at him instead of Show, we all know Bray by himself would get killed but as a unit, it would be interesting and we'd get Paulie v Bray on the mic as well which could be fun.

Still a waste of an appearance though, Brock only has so many a year so why put him against Show?

Sure the Kofi one was a squash but at least it was someone new. Why not a one off against Cesaro and actually have a decent power v power match with some hope spots for the Swiss superman before Brock gets the win?

I'm sure that will get better viewing figures on the network, better reviews and a better crowd response. Remember most people who have the network are die hard fans who have seen Show v Brock and aren't bothered by it, why not pique their interest with something new?

People have said it time and time again, the best workers/options would have to be Cesaro, Orton and Owens. Cesaro and Owens currently the best things going for WWE at the moment, and the Orton match would just be two veterans going at it in a all out brawl!

I wasn't watching at the time so although the pre-streak matches look strange (particularly the Triple H loss) I can't comment on them as I don't know the context. His matches since have been perfect for me. I loved the Cena and Reigns matches. I was against the 3-way before it happened but it turned out well and really did elevate Seth even though he was only in the match to take the fall. I'd love to see a real Seth/Brock match so even though that match at Battleground was truncated, it made me want to see it again even more and it set-up the Undertaker rematch which was big and very enjoyable.

DC's right that Brock is a special attraction, so I only want to see him in big matches. Rock and Austin (as WrestleMania main events), Orton, Bryan, Reigns, Rollins.

I'd love to see Sheamus and Cesaro built up to be in a position for a Brock match. But neither are at that level yet. No one else on the main roster appeals to me to get a match with Brock.

The Kofi match was just a squash match on a house show. The Big Show match is headlining Madison Square Garden, so you need a marquee name that you can also beat resoundingly. A giant vs. a monster headlining the MSG for a McMahon seems pretty fitting too.

But is Big Show a marquee name in 2015 though?

Unless they use this appearance to move on the Taker storyline in someway or provide him with some new angle or foe then it's a waste to me.

Then again seen as Taker left the last match banged up again, it's unlikely we'll get that rubber match in the trilogy until Mania.

Guest Kontrolled

to answer the question... YES...YES...YES... very dis-appointed in the opponents of the "beast"

the big show... come on now....

why not let him feud with Sheamus... maybe put that briefcase on the line... then at least while Brock is not wrestling, they could always be like....could is Brock here.. he might be here... I think Brock is here...

But is Big Show a marquee name in 2015 though?

Yes. He's not a money drawing star (any more at least) but he is still the closest thing to a star that they have that can job handily to Brock on a televised house show. Don't forget this is the actual main event this time, not a featured squash match half way through. Who else is there? Cena's too big, Orton is too and Orton/Lesnar has never been done and that's a PPV match, Ditto for Bryan and he hasn't been cleared anyway. Reigns and Seth are PPV Main events. Who else is there?

I can only think of Kane, and they could have done that with Brock putting him out, and Jericho but that would be face vs. face.

Unless they use this appearance to move on the Taker storyline in someway or provide him with some new angle or foe then it's a waste to me.

Why? This is a Network exclusive, broadcast house show. It's not a PPV, it's not a TV show. It's Brock being used as a star attraction on certain house shows as a part of his new contract and WWE putting these on the Network live.

why not let him feud with Sheamus... maybe put that briefcase on the line... then at least while Brock is not wrestling, they could always be like....could is Brock here.. he might be here... I think Brock is here...

Because Brock would have to win and he would have to win the title and they don't want him in the title picture at the minute. And that too could be a PPV match down the line.

Brock doesn't HAVE to win though, he can look dominate and look like is going to win and have his opponent sneak out a win and it not break his current mystic.

My bug bear is that he has a limited number of appearances and this one off special, regardless of who it is against is a waste unless that special achieves something later. It's not a nostalgia one off special like One Night Stand was, it's a show that will include wrestlers who will be there night after night and on TV and PPV's and if it is taking airtime on the network and being hyped as an event then me, as a fan I want it to either draw a line under something or progress.

That's just me though, I want more from a Lesnar appearance that's all.

Of course he has to win. Jesus. He's on something in the region of $5 million a year, he lost his title at Mania, he didn't get the win against Seth and he lost to Undertaker. He is the hottest act in the company. Of Course he has to win. Are you seriously advocating Brock Fucking Lesnar being rolled up for the three count on a house show to Cesaro or Owens or somebody, weeks before the blowoff with the Undertaker and months before he is going to be used as one of the headline acts of a big Wrestlemania in a 100,000+ seat venue? He could be in the main event for all we know. He's just a guy if that happens.

How can it possibly be a waste of one of his dates? It's one of his house show dates. Five months ago we'd have never saw it. He would have threw Big Show around and the 13, 000 people or whatever in the building would have been the only ones to see it. It's a house show! That is being shown on the Network as some added value. That's all.

I wasn't aware he had house show dates but just dates, as in this is the number of times you can use him - that's it - its then up to the WWE to decide if that's a PPV, a Raw or a house show and if that is the case then a house show is a waste of it.

Plus I maybe didn't explain myself clearly, that's on me. I'm not advocating Lesnar loses on a house show if he appears on one, if he is used on one then yes he has to win because his whole gimmick and the work they have done booking him since Mania 30 would indeed be wasted.

My whole, he doesn't have to win is if it is on PPV, when it could put someone over like they where thinking of doing with Reigns and this is after he wins his rubber match in the Taker trilogy. In my mind, the ideal situation is him not doing house shows, not fighting a guy who there is no up side in him fighting and actually having a proper feud where he is still the badass attraction at the end of it but the person he is facing is elevated once his business with Taker is settled.

Well if that's the case fair enough - I was still under the impression he had a limited number of actual appearances in total.

Question is, once Taker is out of the way, who is logically next for Brock, who should be next? In pure logic terms it should be the title seen as he was never pinned to lose it and then Taker cost him the rematch but is that best for business?

Guest Kontrolled

real question should be.... does Brrrrrrrrrock LLLLLLessssssner suplex the big show 15 times???

Also is this show going to be considered in the fantasy league?

I think a vertical, a couple of Germans and if they are brave, then a belly to belly overhead before an F-5 and we are out of there in less then 10 minutes including entrances.

Horrible thing is, we all know that's how its going to go down but Vince still fed Cesaro to Show this Monday to 'keep him strong' and hype the event which is a bloody waste.

Couldn't he have just killed someone like Bo Dallas and then done the promo?

Have I missed something here, because last I heard Brock was facing Bo Dallas at the MSG shebang?
Where did you hear / read that? Everything I've read since it was the MSG show was announced had him facing Big Show, plus they've also shown it / had Big Show and Heyman mention it on TV.