Fan Clubs (beta)

Why won't anybody employ me?

Guest Nicole

How do I get my hands on more than 10 application forms? I've been all around droitwich, collecting forms for anywhere advertising and thats literally all I've got. Droitwich really is a small town. There just seems to be a total lack of work at the moment.
That may be your problem right there. I've never filled in an application form for any job I've had. It's always been a phone call, set up an interview and then get a job.

Don't stop with the forms, but start calling places as well, as that will be (in my opinion anyway) more productive.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nicole
What sort of jobs have you gone for though? With the work I'm trying to do, which is mainly shop work or bar work, everything seems to be done via application form.

Guest Gemsi
Print out a few CV's for the places that don't have application form's. I don't know what it's like now, but about a year ago noone had application forms, you had to take in a CV instead.

Guest Nicole
Could be, plus my last name matches the name of the most well known criminal in the area. That might be putting people off.

Guest Christof

Nicole do you want the super duper CV template?

Also, McDonald's & Pizza Hut = cheap meals?!?!??!?!??? Plates of coronary perhaps.

Chin up Nicole, maybe retail isn't the best route, try an agency and maybe get yourself into an office, estate agent or bank perhaps. Plenty of things to try. If not, most of TWO North works at BT in Doncaster :P

GOD ABOVE!!!!!!!!!! Dont work in a call center unless you have 100% control of your temper and dont mind getting abuse down the phone. I dealt with one call while a manager listened in, I thought I dealt with it quite well, but afterwards I said I get worried and nervous with people sat listening to me....she said she could tell as she wouldnt expect anyone to be like that normally with a customer.......I normally give the rat ******* ones as much grief as they give me. :(

Pizza hut, at least working on the front, is great. Really is.

Guest Nicole

I've just written a CV, based on one that the lovely Inno ;) gave me. Somebody could check it for me if they wanted to be super duper nice :) To be fair, if this shop business doesn't work out, maybe I should approach offices and stuff, I'm sure they'd find something I'm capable of doing.

I've done telesales. Possibly the MOST depressing thing ever.

Bar work is fairly easy to get employed for. Go into any pub you find and just ask them if they have work going. Hand in a CV and be persistant. If there are any bars and clubs around, start cleaning up glasses or something. I know plenty of people who did that at my local, and the bosses saw their commitment and eventually hired them full time to help out, plus they were then more willing to train them to do better jobs like pouring pints, etc, when usually they ask for experience if they're just hiring people from outside.

Don't be afraid to ask behind counters either. Not just "do you have any application forms?" but simply "do you have work going?". Again, be persistant. As DC said, phone calls are a good way to go.

Edited by DraVen

I had some bar work at my local Walkabout towards the back end of last year. This on top of my full time job.

During the week it was great, i was being payed to serve the odd beer to a drunk whilst watching Football on a projector screen and eating peanuts. I also got free Orange juice and tonic water if i wished. At weekends it was slightly harder work but i enjoyed it more than having to go into work on a Saturday morning. Even though i was having to work about 6 times more at walkabout than i would of rant for a few hours on a Saturday morning at my main work. It also helped me pick up a few phone numbers.

Eventually i got fed up and did'nt really need the money so just decided to not turn in any more whilst in the same bar when Liverpool played Arsenal a few months ago the manager asked me for my Walkabout uniform back.

Guest carlyto1
Nic dont worry about it. I was in the same boat when i left college with a couple of computer qualifications. Took me a while to find my first job. Don't waste your time with connexions but do remember one thing ; never give up.

Guest Nicole
Bar work is fairly easy to get employed for. Go into any pub you find and just ask them if they have work going. Hand in a CV and be persistant. If there are any bars and clubs around, start cleaning up glasses or something. I know plenty of people who did that at my local, and the bosses saw their commitment and eventually hired them full time to help out, plus they were then more willing to train them to do better jobs like pouring pints, etc, when usually they ask for experience if they're just hiring people from outside.

Don't be afraid to ask behind counters either. Not just "do you have any application forms?" but simply "do you have work going?". Again, be persistant. As DC said, phone calls are a good way to go.

Don't be afraid to rape the Job Centre Plus website too. Plenty of jobs get advertised on there.

I've done all this, and nothing comes good. I'm even bar trained, and yet people are not interested in me. I've made mates with the bar staff in an aim to get in a job to no avail.

Guest MojoPogo
I've got to talk about this somewhere, because it's actually making me feel depressed.

I finished college for good on the 27th of this month, and even before this I've handed in numerous application forms for different jobs. Mainly the jobs have been bar work and shop assistant roles.

I've received no phonecalls, been offered no interviews and basically had no correspondance from anyone.

Could it be the fact that I have a few too many qualifications? I have tried leaving grades off, but that still seems to put people off me.

I've got 9 GCSES' (5 A's, 4B's) a Young Enterprise qualification, 1 AS level and 4 a levels pending.

I don't like to lie on forms about my grades, because I don't want to have to admit to somebody in an interview that I actually have got qualifications.

I rang the dole office the other day to start a claim, and I felt absolutely humiliated by the fact I can't get work. I've got a meeting with somebody on Tuesday about it all, but I'm just worried they are going to say that I need to apply for jobs which need more skills, which is something I don't want to do. I only want a simple part time job like the rest of my mates.

I know they are going to try and palm me off to connexions, which is a service I hate because of its condenscending attitude. They rang up for my sister last week, as she was a trainee hairdresser when she left school, but had to leave hairdressing for ill health. When I said she was now working as a waitress, they said it was sad that she had to do that now. I really don't want that sort of attitude thrown towards me, because I'll end up giving them a piece of my mind.

My mates are all threatening to disown me because I've got to go on the dole, yet I'm trying really hard to get a job. I'm going to have a chat with a local cafe owner on monday which J's nan set up, but I'm not sure that she'll want me, and it'll probably end up with my name and number being taken, and eventually being chucked in the bin.

Depressed :(

Been there certainly. As cliched as it sounds, you need to keep a positive attitude. As long as you keep putting yourself outthere, and get your cv on the right websites, you WILL get a job. Oh, and if your mates disown you for being on the dole, they arent really your friends.

Guest The Crippler
If you must, go to work tomorrow. Well, if I were you, I wouldn't bother. For there are brighter sides to life and I should know because I've seen them, but not very often.

GOD ABOVE!!!!!!!!!! Dont work in a call center unless you have 100% control of your temper and dont mind getting abuse down the phone. I dealt with one call while a manager listened in, I thought I dealt with it quite well, but afterwards I said I get worried and nervous with people sat listening to me....she said she could tell as she wouldnt expect anyone to be like that normally with a customer.......I normally give the rat ******* ones as much grief as they give me. :(

Uh oh, Im waiting to get word on whether or not I have got a job in a call center I applied for a few weeks back. But to say that it would be better than the job im on now would be true.

Call centres are good places to work, mainly because the job itself isn't that hard. They are more tiring (mentally and physically) than you'd think, but you can get not too bad money for a job that can be boiled down to sitting on your arse, playing on a computer and talking on the phone.

It is a little more complex than that, but the job itself, if nothing else, will tide you over until you get something else.

Guest MojoPogo
I have a trial shift sunday, and if all goes well, I'm on the rota for next week. YAY!!

Great news! Good luck to you, and keep us updated!:xyx