Xbox

X-Box 360.

wyndorf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Feenix

The offical unveiling of the console is 8PM TONIGHT. (That's in half an hour). on MTV(UK channel, UK time) So those in time to read this, be sure to watch.

What i'm loving about the thing is the four processors it'll have. See, Sony blabbed on and on for ages about the Cell processor in the PS3. They said it was so fast and so great... so Microsoft went "Okay, maybe it is, no problem" and went and stuck four processors in the Xbox 360. Sony obviously cried afterwards.

Guest Christof

Some stats from BBC News

CPU with three IBM PowerPC 3.2Ghz cores

ATI 500MHz graphics processor

48 billion shader operations per second

512Mb GDDR3 RAM of memory

Removable and upgradeable 20Gb hard drive

Three USB ports

Windows Media Extender built-in

Support for DVD-video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-DA, CD-R, WMA CD, MP3 CD, Jpeg photo CD

Nice 3 super quick processors!

Guest Anime Otaku
i don't like Microsoft, they are a bunch of crooks, i will gofor PS3 and probably the revolution

Guest voice of reason

Oh no, the stuff I proclaimed as fake ages ago was real, meh.

Interesting new things:

No MS logo on the case, presumably to trend things up a little, and maybe trick Tajiri San into buying it because he thinks it's a high end DVD player, or something.

The vids on ign are... often underwhelming. Madden, PGR3, Ghost Recon- yes yes yes. Very pretty. Tony Hawk's 47- looks little better than THUG2. Pshaw.

We're not going to see revolutionary stuff from MS, as we're not from Sony in the hardware outings (Nintendo might pull it off, but lose public support in doing so). This generation will be remembered as one of furthering online gaming again, while hopefully putting an end to controllers tangled in miles of cables. Yay!

This generation will be remembered as one of furthering online gaming

It's kinda a bummer for people like me, who like playing single player games. I have no interest in online gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love a good kick ass multiplayer, but I like to be able to laugh in my victims face, watch them cry and feel the impact as their joypad smacks me across the face.

Guest Slim Jim
Oh no, the stuff I proclaimed as fake ages ago was real, meh.

Interesting new things:

No MS logo on the case, presumably to trend things up a little, and maybe trick Tajiri San into buying it because he thinks it's a high end DVD player, or something.

The vids on ign are... often underwhelming. Madden, PGR3, Ghost Recon- yes yes yes. Very pretty. Tony Hawk's 47- looks little better than THUG2. Pshaw.

We're not going to see revolutionary stuff from MS, as we're not from Sony in the hardware outings (Nintendo might pull it off, but lose public support in doing so). This generation will be remembered as one of furthering online gaming again, while hopefully putting an end to controllers tangled in miles of cables. Yay!

I seem to remember the previews of the early xbox seeming crap as well, so the actual things will probably blow us away.

X-Box sucks. Those damn fanboys... come to PS3.

Surely wwe4eva - you are the fanboy.

But so am I. I'm happy with my PSP and hopefully will be happy with a nice shiny PS3.

Guest Kanenite
Looks quite nice. I don't have an X-Box but it still looks quite nice to show off. I'll wait for the PS3 to come out, that will be the big one

I can't see why people would wait for a Sony console over this.

The Microsoft console has proved to be greater in every department apart from maybe Wrestling games.

Time to get saving the pennies.

Guest Feenix

All blue-ray technology basically does is the facilitation of faster and more efficient reading and writing capabilities onto disks. The only real benefit of it is you can fit a lot more data onto one disk.... but so what? DVD-9 disks give us more than enough room for most things so far.

Those people waiting for PS3 rather than an Xbox 360... heed my warning, if Sony are still going by their reported specs, then the PS3 will be a lot less powerful than the Xbox 360.

And for those not too impressed with the videos on IGN.com... what you've got to realise is, those are early versions of the very first games for the console. As all consoles have shown us, it takes years to master their true potential. Developers really don't know how to use the XNA technology to it's best yet. All they're really doing at the moment is trying out the things they've already been trying but not having the hardware to be able to do it all; complex bump-maps, real-time world reflections, complex physics, 8X anistropic filtering, 8X anti-aliasing, type 3 pixel shaders and most of all, high dynamic range lighting. The current generation of consoles would only be able to handle some of those things. Not all at once. The Xbox 360 would be able to do them all, with ease. It wont be for quite some time until we really start pushing the console and realising it's true potential.

Edited by Feenix

Guest Feenix

You seem to be missing the point about what Blu-Ray actually is. The only impact it will have on games is the amount of data that can be stored on a disk. That will make no difference to the game itself, so I fail to see your point.

There's nothing wrong with HDTV. It just means that all games are in high-definition. There's not a lot of difference between HDTV and DVD-TV, unless were talking about movies. For games, there's basically no difference apart from storage. If you're talking about DVD movies then yes, there are inherant benefits with Blu-Ray. But the Xbox 360 and PS3 are games consoles. DVD playback isn't their primary function.

And yes anistropic filtering and especially anti-aliasing are going to make a huge difference. The flaws of HDTV are solved with anti-aliasing. The rendering aspect of anti-aliasing is that it'll get rid of all rough lines and edges, making games look a lot better.

If you had seen screen shots of type 3 pixel shaders... you wouldn't be making fun.

Finally, I work for Microsoft, I am in fact Bill Gates.... not.

Edited by Feenix