Fan Clubs (beta)

Nintendo Revolution.

wyndorf

With E3 just days away, Nintendo have started to reveal a few new details about the 'Revolution'

From ign.com

In a recent New York Times article, Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan describes the console as "very, very sleek." The system, which is reportedly tiny, will stand horizontally. Its height will reportedly be no more than three DVD cases stacked flatly on each other, or slightly more than an inch. That makes the console theoretically smaller than Apple's recently released Mac Mini computer.

Although Nintendo has historically selected proprietary media formats, such as the GameCube Optical Disc, for its platforms, the publisher is with Revolution opting for a more standardized medium. The new console will play standard DVD media, according to the company. Nintendo has not yet revealed if Revolution will as a result be able to play Hollywood movies on DVD, but that seems very likely at this point.

At the Game Developers' Conference in March, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that Revolution would offer Wi-Fi online connections out of the box and would be backward compatible with GameCube, or able to play GCN software.

According to recent information, Revolution will also be able to play high-definition games and regularly go online.

Finally -- something of a no-brainer given the popularity of the Wave Bird pads -- Revolution's still-secret controller will be completely wireless. Controllers for Microsoft's Xbox 360 are also wireless. Upon hearing this news, puppies everywhere let out a collective cry.

By far the most mysterious of the 'Big 3' and the one I'm waiting for. Not set to be unveiled at E3, but Nintendo have said they will give details of the specs and show off software videos.

I'd like to believe the 'Revolution' WILL be unveiled at the show, and that Nintendo are just keeping it hush hush. With Microsoft already showing off the X-Box 360, Sony are banking that they'll steal the show with the Playstation 3.

I can't see Sony offering any surprises with the PS3, much like the X-Box 360, a step up in power is pretty much all we're gonna get. But Nintendo says "We're gonnna Revolutionise the way You play games" what does that mean? and what's the deal with THAT controller?

Sony have dominated the video games industry in the last two console generations, the new X-Box is unlikely to change that, but Nintendo seem to have an ace up their sleeves, and I for one can't wait to find out what that ace is.

Guest Anime Otaku
they say how tall its going to be i just wonder how wide or deep it will be to counter the short stature of the machine but knowing Nintendo it's bound to be the best looking of the 3 machines :)

That's a bit harsh Mr Dragon. Both Sony and Microsoft are just as bad as Nintendo, on giving European gamers a fair cut. Europe waits for a game that's been out in the U.S. for at least two months, that's a fact of life, except for Metroid, the U.K. got that first. Go Nintendo!

Guest voice of reason

Mmmm. Small.

I'm most excited about Revolution as a gamer, if only because I have half a hope still of Nintendo doing something different. We are at the point where hardware advances can only go so far as far as graphics are concerned, so hopefully we'll see something different. Of course this will make no difference to casual consumers, who won't buy the bloody thing even if it's fantastic.

Guest voice of reason

Sorry to bump, but the first (real) pic's appeared.

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615008/img_2788923.html

Small and sleek, then. There'll be more details soon, but according to rough Nintendo claims, this'll be quite a bit less powerful than MS or Sony offerings. The hook here is that Revolution will offer something other than graphical punch to excite..

Apparantly you'll be able to download games from every other Nintendo format via Nintendo's online service. Total backward compatibility?

Guest Anime Otaku
arrrggghhhh!!!! it looks like a PS2 with Nintendo branding and looks like its alot taller than they they claimed, the thing that drew me to the GC to get my attention was the fact it looked so different now its the same as Sony's machine!!!

Guest voice of reason
IGN have an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto here. In it he reveals some of Nintendo's approaches with the next generation, and why we won't see what makes Revolution, umm, 'revolutionary' until 2006.

Guest Christof
It looks flippin sweet! would be very small when laid horizontally as well. Although i don't know how backwardly compatitble it would be were I to try slamming a NES cartridge into it! Gameplay to me means a lot more than fancy super consoles, hopefully this will be a console that actually makes some headway in the market, they got there too late with the Cube.

Guest voice of reason
Yep, which means expect Nintendo's lawyers to be having a field day on everyvideogame.com and the emu scene any time now.

even if Nintendo release a great console it won't take off because SONY have now appealed to the casual gamer such as the 20-30 something males. They have basically cornered the market and continue to churn out crap that these now 'gamers' buy. The market has been destroyed by SONY in my opinion who have gone for a Quantity above Quality approach. I am still looking forward to the new Nintendo console though, but for the love of god release Pro Evo on it in Europe !!!