Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  20 members  ·  Free

Harry Potter

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (movie) *spoilers*

Guest SuperKick Kid

Guest SuperKick Kid

I just saw the movie today and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

As usual, the transition from book to movie does have plenty of changes, but you just have to look past those and watch the movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it is definitely one of the best of the series.

The additions to the cast are awesome.

Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge was superb. She is so sickening sweet, it is almost unbearable and you really want to see her get hers.

Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood was perfect casting. She is exactly how I pictured the character and the voice is perfect too.

Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange is also very good. It is too bad she doesnt have enough screen time. But every time she is in a scene, she steals it with how greatly she portrays the character.

All the other usual actors are great as they usually are.

Rickman shines again in his role as Snape.

More Voldemort and Dumbledore in this movie which is great as both are done very well.

Ron's brothers Fred and George get tons of more screen time than in the last ones.

I really enjoyed the movie a lot and totally recommend going to see it.

And if you are a fan of the books, please dont try to pick apart the movie and what has changed. Just sit back and enjoy it as I did.

Edited by SuperKick Kid

Went with some friends to see this last night. Haven't read any of the books, but the film was quite enjoyable. I'd put it as the 2nd best movies after Prisoner Of Azkaban. At times it did feel a bit emo. Possibly one or more action set pieces in the middle. While I wouldn't normally come across all Michael Bay about it, I think it could of done with a little bit more of a kick in the middle just to keep things going. The Dementos were awesome. Emma Watson was very hot, but felt a bit underused. In a way, everyone kinda did. This one really was Harry's story. Overall I'd give it 7/10. The multi person battle near the end was stunning.

Having not read the books then you wouldn't know that this is a very character driven plot and not as action based as the others.

It is also the biggest and largest book of the six released so far.

This is very much Harry's story and 'emo' in that this is where is he growing up, passing through his teenage years and scarded that he is like Voldermort and lashing out at the world.

This is made worse because of the fact that his idol's (Dumbledore) character is being attacked, his own character and also that the one place he feels at home (Hogwarts) is changing.

Add in his first relationship and you have tonnes of teenage angst.

The book was driven by the character's stories and the building of several plots which will start to come to a head in Harry Potter: The Half Blood Prince which is more action packed but also explores Voldermort, Snape and the Malfoy family in far greater scope...

'Order' is a transistional piece, one that is a fine work but none the less a transistional piece to set Harry and the characters up for the final two installments and the lurch towards the end.

As a result it was difficult to make it into a film that would satisfy the cellioud's demand for action as well as filling out the characters well enough so that you can delvolp the knowledge and emtional links required for the events that will occur in parts VI and VII

Guest Anime Otaku
I've not seen it but I bet the fact that they took the longest book in the series and squeezed it down to the shortest of the movies will not have helped it much.

Actually Taj they cut out a lot of the pointless crap that Rowling wrote in this book and got it down to the key elements.

Havent you noticed that as the books have gotten more popular they have gotten bigger? The buz in the lit world is that editors are scared to ask her to cut down on anything.

Guest Drake

I did not like the movie. I repeat. I did not like the movie.

The cat was perfect. Luna Lovegood was played to perfection as was Umbridge and Bellatrix. And the special effects were brilliant too.

I'm not one of those people who goes mental when something from the book doesn't appear on the movie but this just took the cake. There were too many parts in which something in the book happened and in the movie it didn't or parts that where one way in the book and in the movie they were done the opossite.

I hope David does a better job directing the Half-Blood prince. It just seemed like very seem was just a brief review of what really happened in the book.

PS: Please, don't post spoilers of the Half-Blood prince nor about the Deathly Hallows.

Guest The Beltster
Took my son as I have to all of the Potter movies (Urrrgggg) and I'm not really a fan, its too much of a kiddy thing for me to be honest, and of all the ones I've seen this was the worst. I fell asleep.

Went to see it on Saturday. Enjoyed it but for some reason it didn't quite hang together well for me. I found my mind wandering during the quieter scenes.

That said, I really fancied Tonks...

That said, I really fancied Tonks...

Not shocked by that at all. :lol

Mind, I have a slight thing for Emma Watson.

edit: poor choice of phrasing, but never mind. Its funny so it can stay.

Guest Anime Otaku

Just looked up Tonks, not how I envisioned her at all. I though of her as a bit more of a punk rocker and a bit more plain, not that I'm complaining.

Helena Bohnam Carter looks great as Bellatrix Lestrange though, and obviously I like Katie Leung too.

Guest Gemsi

I agree with you about Tonks Anime, not at all how I pictured her too be.

Remember dancing on ice, and one of the skaters dressed up kinda punky (David Seaman's partner I believe), in the first show? That's how I imagined Tonks to be. The actor they got too play Tonks is too tame I think.

I liked the movie though. Infact I was that into it, that I dropped my popcorn all over the floor (Vue's fault entirley for making there small portion boxes twice the size of the drinks holder. I feel no guilt, just sadness at the loss).

Some of the special effects were groovy. I'd actually saw how they were done, before going to see the movie, but they still looked super awsome.

Bellatrix, Luna, Umbridge-Exactly how I pictured them. Luna especially just had me amazed, because she does apear so dreamy, and urm, blond (in a good way, couldn't think of a better word).

Again, I'd seen all 3 characters before watching the movie, but was stil absorbed into the film, as I saw them as the characters I'd been imagining for years.

The one thing I really don't like about the series is all the wands, and a bit of the incantations. You just can't not look like a sissy when you're flicking a little stick about, even when it's shooting DBZ-style energy beams.Wizards have staffs, they just do. When you whip about a staff, people take notice, and it can also be used as a weapon to keep your opponent at midrange as well. What are you gonna do with a wand? SHove it up some guys nose? ... Oh. The thing about the fake latin they use, is that they stated how your pronunciation has to be absolutely perfect. And yet Harry can prattle off "wingardium leviosa" in a nasty little accent, and have it work.

Guest Anime Otaku

I don't watch the 'talent' shows so I dunno who you mean unfortunantly. I saw the girl that plays Luna on a movie special though and my jaw dropped when she spoke she's sooo perfect.

They also showed the wand dueling that they made for the Big Fight Scene™ which is quite cool and more elaborate looking that the stuff they did in classes, though I think it's only got a few base positions but each person has their own take on it, like Lucius uses a fencing like style, Sirius is more scrappy like a street brawler and Bellatrix is... Bellatrix.

Edited by Anime Otaku