Fan Clubs (beta)

Madden 2008

Evil Gringo

Right I got Madden '08 for Christmas of Gothic Angel for the PC as a lovely suprise after see spotted me musing over it in GAME and making her watch NFL on Sky Sports and guess what... it kicks major ass, with more responsive controls then any other version I've played making it FAR more accessable.

Graphics are awesome as are the game modes.

But enough about the game, even though it is the best game about American Football ever (finally something beats NFL Quarterback Club '99) does anyone else have it?

What are your thoughts on it? Is it the best Madden ever, or like I feel the best American Football game ever?

And also if anyone wants a game online give me a PM or email and then my Packers squad will lay you to waste.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Guest big pau hoolinator
I like it but I'm horrendous at it...at Madden 07 I was quite established but at this one I just cant get it going

Yes, I love American football!

Don't understand the specifics and despite Madden's best attempts I still don't understand the tactics.

Guess I'm like a blonde with the offside rule!

Playing through the Franchise as the Packers with me as a Wide Receiver with Jennings on the other side and of course Favre calling the shots.

Just murdered the Vikings 81-0 with 7 sacks, two inception TD's, two punt return TD's from Jennings, three turn overs due to downs and not one failure to covert a conversion, field goal or a first down on offense.

I think that is pretty much the best game I will ever play on any NFL game ever.

Qualified for the Playoffs with a perfect 16-0-0 record with a nice big win over the Pat's and the Colts as well...

Then I beat The 49'ers 120-0 thanks to an awesome game in the second half by my defense and special teams against their second string side... my corner backs both ran in 2 interception touchdowns a piece and my pass rush caused 7 sacks in that half alone.

So after that I went on to the Super Bowl and again faced off against the Colt's who had just seen of the Pat's... wasn't a complete blow out by was a major win again down to the pass rush causing major problems and turnovers a plenty...

Favre was the season MVP and Player of the Year over all and on offense with over 5,000 pass yards and a pass completion rate that was over 75%

I finished the season an All Pro for WR and also have been selected for the Pro Bowl game after gaining over 2,500 yards and 50 TD's.

Was a great season for the Packers

heh Gringo, I think it's time to bump up the difficulty :)

Got the game upon its Midnight release back in August. My latest scheme has been the total and complete rennovation of the Bear's franchise (this coming after a 19 season stint with the Giants that produced 10 superbowl victories). I imported my draft class from NCAA 08 and traded away Grossman to get a higher pick and nabbed Tim Tebow. From there, I traded Muhammed for criminally underraed Lee Evans, and shipped Bernard Berrian in favor of my boy Ted Ginn. Desmond Clark also got moved for a second round draft pick, as Miami boy Greg Olsen is all I'd need.

So, I set off, 84 ovr rookie as my QB, 86 rated Cedric Benson as RB, Lee Evans is a great reciever, but Ginn is only a 83 and Palm Beach native Devin Hester even lower. Still, played through every game, and thanks to the awesome speed of everyone at the skill positions (Tebow is an excellent runner as well as a big passer), amassed a 11-5 record, with both Benson bangig in 1,300 on the crowd and Tebow scrambling for another 1,100 and 14tds. Lee Evans got 120 receptions for 1,600 and 9tds, with Greg Olsen getting 96 for 16. With Devin Hester (first and ONLY player with a 100 in speed), I amassed a total of 24 touchdowns (10 kick return, 6 punt return, 8 recieving). Played some tough, old school, playoff football, and my epic defense stunted the Chargers in the superbowl (as well as bringing back two kick-offs wth D-Hest) and won 35-24.

From there, the next off-season, I signed the 93ovr Al Wilson to partner the now perfect Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs in the line backing core. Roy Williams, Julius Peppers, and Dwight Freeney were all free agents, so I splurged and got them.

At this point, EVERY starter on my defense (and even my 3rd CB Daniel Manning) has been an All-Pro. Best, defense, ever.

The next season, teams just could not score on me, and my offense's high-speed hijinks evolved, with Lee Evans now a 97ovr and statisally one of the best WR's in the league. Greg Olsen lead all TE's in receptions, yards, and touchdowns, whereas Ginn and Hester were now mid to upper 80's. Benson was a 90, and Tebow was a 91, both his passing and running skills getting better. This season I went 14-2, only the Giants (OT loss) and the Ravens deterrng me. In the playoffs, no such thing occured, and I won my second superbowl, this time over the Steelers 42-10.

Season three, and everyone is operating at an insanely high level. Hester a 100 spd, Ginn at 99 spd, and Evans at 97 speed, and big Greg Olsen at 87 spd going across the middle, I could bomb all day and score at will....

So I did. Fixxed my playbook to be a straight up Run & Shoot offense (Spurrier's Fun & Gun would be ashamed). My three lead WR's and TE all scored over 80 receptions and 1,000 yards and over 10 touchdowns,with Evans bringing in 1,865 and 23tds. I didn't run with Tebow nearly as much, but Benson only got the ball about 14 times a game, setting him at 1,400 yards for the year. In the end, Tebow got 56 touchdown passes to only 20 pics, snappig Peyton Manning's single season record.

Blasted my way through the playoffs and beat New England 63-7.

Now in my fourth off-season. The Dynasy is totally alive

Edited by Fidel Cashflow

Well I ain't playing it on Rookie but could do with moving it up a notch I reckon...

The problem with the offense of the CPU controlled teams is that when you get them on a 3rd down situation and go for a Free Fire, House or use Woodson for a Blitz then it always leads to a fumble, sack or interception.

My offense is good but my defense is the real stars, used correctly Green Bay's defense is top notch. Plus have Jennings as a WR and the clever and under rated Bubba Franks at TE for decent inside option routes leads to good pass completion and TD's.

In my second season now, Favre has retired after his first season heroics and so I have pull in 2 QB's as potentional short term replacements, those being Culpepper and Delhomme who I picked up as Free's in the off season.

Drafted in Anthony Patterson as a rookie at HB and he is a great find at 86ov to start. Retained most of my first season side that has gilded through the game so far as Driver, myself and Jennings are great WR and Franks at TE with Patterson added in at HB gives me all the offense I need.

What version you got Spiral? PC, PS2, PS3 or X-Box 360?

Anthony Patterson was one hell of a draft...

After coasting through the pre-season as you do against the Texans, Chargers, Dolphins and the Colts I entered my first regular season game against the Panthers.

Having taken the advice of Spiral and upped the difficulty I took them on expecting a bit more of a challenge.

But good god, using my tried and tested method of using a long left kick off and using good special team closing down I had them resting inside their own 20 time and time and they had no answer to my aggressive punt returning.

Coupled with that when I ran in a few TD's and they needed to go to the air I cranked up the pressure once more and they where throwing wild, leading to interception after interception.

Once more the 'Thin Green Line' of my defense was outstanding and was leading to so much offense field position inside or around the red zone where my outstanding new TE, Mr. Anthony Patterson whose pace as well as power has lead to him starting ahead of old Bubba in the TE slot.

His rushing was awesome from around 35-15 yards out, ending in 6 TD's... his route finding on the passing game also lead to his picking up 2 more TD's once the defense had starting sliding to block the routes of my WR's.

All in the defense once more kicked ass and lead to a convincing victory. Bottom line is, if you play Madden, get an All Star defense together and the rest will come damn easy.

Super Bowl No.2?

I think so.

Starting out in the Hall of Fame mode where you have to create a rookie, pick a position and then work your way up through the ranks to try and be a hall of famer.

Basically its like the 'Be A Pro' mode on FIFA '08 in that you are one player and you have to affect the game from that position. You also have to do training drills, try out for movies, give interviews etc etc.

I am the second string QB for the Packers at the moment after being drafted in the 6th round of picks and have worked up to an overall rating of 80 in the pre-season. Need to work on my throw strength as it is weak compared to the man ahead of me, Brett Favre.

Just started my first regular season.... first game is now... here goes.

Guest big pau hoolinator

There is a cheat for that game mode...on training set the computer to a goal line formation so they have no coverage and then play a long pass i.e. hail mary and you get a TD everytime...

I done it without cheating and am the number one kicker for the Saints that was on Madden 07 though haven't done it on 08 yet...

I got the game for Christmas on the PS3. I quite like it, but I have no defence at all. It seems whenever they throw the ball it results in a touchdown. I don't know enough about the NFL to understand which formations work effectively against a passing game. As far as running goes, I can defend against that successfully, it's just passing which is pissing me off right now. I suppose being the Raiders isn't ever going to help that though.

Apart from that, it's a good game.

Guest big pau hoolinator
I'm the same, on defence I pretty much exclusively use Cover 2 unless im gonna blitz...very exotic...

For the Passing game Cover 2 or 3 works well as does QB Spy for possible interceptions.

Always use a Rush on the 3rd Down and if they do choose to pass on the 4th down do the same.

Been working hard in training and I am now 84 overall barely a month into the regular season, without cheating either.

Throwing arm still needs some beefing up though.

A good QB will pick apart the gaps in the cover-2 all day. You have to mix up your coverage. Best to prevent long plays is to play man with the cornerbakcs (they'll just be dots when when you pick the play) and have the safeties coming over the top (it'll be a line and a big circle up feild) in a zone.

Even if a team comes out shotgun with 3 or more wide, you really won't need more than a nickle. Otherwise, the middle of the feild is open game.

Mix up blitzes to the outside and the middle. They'll oft move around full backs and tight ends when they know the blitz is coming, that's when you call off the blitz and fall back into coverage. Even if you aren't going to blitz, show blitz and drop back, it makes the QB's reads go haywire.

Also from the tactic of picking which player is best to rush the QB and cause a collapse in the pocket always go for the most central Linebacker and move him to the side of this original starting position and slightly back as well...

This allows you to gain more pace on the stationary center after he has snapped the ball to the QB and means you dictate the angle of your attack....

This always causes havoc, espically when the QB is in the shotgun and it means that even you don't get the sack yourself, someone on your team will or will cause an incomplete pass.

Guest Proudy
Was looking at this for the Wii, but brought TW PGA Tour 08 instead. Havent got it for PS2 yet which is quite surprising considering I love Madden.

I just rented it for the 360 and it's great so far. Right now I'm playing the 'Be a Pro' thing and I'm the starting QB for the Bills. 3-0 so far and I beat the Pats in my second game. NICE!

• 3 weeks later...

Completed my Ring of Champion recently having relocated the Packers (the HORROR I know) in my 12th season as Franchise operator.

Having done all I can do as a franchise runner I have moved on to the 'Be a Pro' mode and have just completed my first season at the Packer's as QB. Farve was injured pre-season and I filled in for the last pre-season game and onwards, retaining my place due to our excellent record with me behind the line of scrimage.

We went on to the Bowl and beat the Colt's with myself doing well in the end of year awards with NFL Offensive player of the year, NFC Offensive player of the year, NFL MVP, Rookie of the year, hell pretty much every award you can get I got...

Also started the Pro Bowl and lead my NFC side to glory over the AFC...

Second season and I am coming off a 4W-0L pre-season as confirmed starter (Farve has retired) and carried on this good form with a 3W-0L regular season so far...

I currently lead the NFL in rating, TD passes, Completions, Fewest interceptions and for QB's rushing touchdowns.

Give it 5 seasons and all the NFL records and a HoF spot will be mine.