Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  16 members  ·  Free

PlayStation

LittleBigPlanet recalled by Sony!

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Ok but you will have to get rid of alot more then that too such as Rap music, horror movies, action movies, anything with sex in it, anyhting thing with swearing... the list is endless

I don't care if its in or not to begin with, the fact they have delayed the game to take it out once the game was finished is what annoys me. Its the principle of the thing which annoys me so much, if Sony had pulled Resistance: Fall of Man because of the CoE complaint I would have argued the point just as much because its the same thing, a few people with an agenda are getting pandered to over a majority of people who don't care and this has always pissed me off to no end as I feel that it should always be the majority who should be catered to just like a democracy is meant to work!

Rap music, horror movies, action movies, anything with sex in it, and anything thing with swearing in it can stay as although kids may find access to it, it's not directed at them, nor intended for them. I don't think rap music should be what it's portrayed as in the mainstream, as anyone's ultimate goals should be more than just cash and ass, but that's not the entirety of the genre (same goes for rock & jazz which was greeted with the same argument). But Barbie is marketed to little girls as the epitome of glamor and beauty when it's a fantasy of what men are conditioned to want, and women are conditioned to aspire to; even when it's not physically possible. Keyword there is "fantasy." If Barbie were real she'd be 7 feet tall, and have serious health issues with her back. Barbie is psychologically damaging as a toy. Swearing isn't damaging, sex in media isn't damaging when portrayed realistically, although it may be confusing if that's a persons only guide, and it's arguable over whether or not the depiction of violence is damaging as well.

And we don't live in a democracy. We're told we are over and over again to drill into our heads the illusion of the power we have as citizens, but were in a republic, where we vote the power to someone else; who in turn tries not to upset anyone or at least get caught doing something that would.

so why should a minority take president over a majority?

But why should the majority take priority over the minority ?

It's all just opinions - none more important than anyone elses.

If the minority were constantly ignored and thrown aside then we wouldn't of had the various moral reforms (black/gay/women rights) - and I'm sure you'd agree that would be wrong...

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Rap music, horror movies, action movies, anything with sex in it, and anything thing with swearing in it can stay as although kids may find access to it, it's not directed at them, nor intended for them. I don't think rap music should be what it's portrayed as in the mainstream, as anyone's ultimate goals should be more than just cash and ass, but that's not the entirety of the genre (same goes for rock & jazz which was greeted with the same argument). But Barbie is marketed to little girls as the epitome of glamor and beauty when it's a fantasy of what men are conditioned to want, and women are conditioned to aspire to; even when it's not physically possible. Keyword there is "fantasy." If Barbie were real she'd be 7 feet tall, and have serious health issues with her back. Barbie is psychologically damaging as a toy. Swearing isn't damaging, sex in media isn't damaging when portrayed realistically, although it may be confusing if that's a persons only guide, and it's arguable over whether or not the depiction of violence is damaging as well.
People find all those things offensive though so if you follow on the argument, if this game is pulled/altered because it offends a minority of Muslim fanatics then the rest has to be banned/altered so it doesn't offend the people who complain about it being offensive to them or you are saying its ok for some to be offended and have to deal with it but not others and they is simply not fair or right

And we don't live in a democracy. We're told we are over and over again to drill into our heads the illusion of the power we have as citizens, but were in a republic, where we vote the power to someone else; who in turn tries not to upset anyone or at least get caught doing something that would.
That I will agree with, but its only because we allow it to be that way either though appathy or ignorance. If more people took a stand against the situation then something may change but until then we will continue in this fashion of making sure to not offend some because they are a minority while not caring about the majority

Because thats the way a democracy works, why are Labour in power because they won the most seats in an election thus the majority won over the minority or should be just get rid of govenment and all do as we please?

So why should the small number of Muslims who don't like it ahve their opinion heard and catured to over everyone else?

If the minority were constantly ignored and thrown aside then we wouldn't of had the various moral reforms (black/gay/women rights) - and I'm sure you'd agree that would be wrong...
This isn't about the rights of people though, its a video game with 2 lines of a song that a few have taken exception to due to their interpritation of a book its not the same thing as people being persicuted because of their colour or sexuality, the game was never made to disciminate against them so its a different matter entirely Edited by Nemesis Enforcer

That I will agree with, but its only because we allow it to be that way either though appathy or ignorance. If more people took a stand against the situation then something may change but until then we will continue in this fashion of making sure to not offend some because they are a minority while not caring about the majority

Well, we also have to remember that this isn't a governmental issue, it's Sony afraid of backlash for looking uncaring, or possibly afraid of that infamous muslim terrorism.

But I think it'll take more than just people taking a serious interest in politics to change our countries, it'll take a revolution. And with the police state that we're in, and the sheer military force we'd be up against, and the complacent ignorami (ignoramusses?) that'd sacrifice anything for the illusion of safety, and... I could go on... but I think you'd get the point. A revolution from within looks bleak, and those who try to organize will be tortured (I mean ... they'll be subjected to "enhanced interrogation techniques") and possibly executed. It just doesn't look possible. Sorry 'bout the rant, I'll cut it off here.

This isn't about the rights of people though, its a video game with 2 lines of a song that a few have taken exception to due to their interpritation of a book its not the same thing as people being persicuted because of their colour or sexuality, the game was never made to disciminate against them so its a different matter entirely

It isnt about the rights of people... religous freedom doesnt count any more then? Fact is that, rightly or wrongly (though in my opinion stupidly) they belive this about not having lines from their holy book used in this manner. Its no different to the UK having a delayed version of... Buzz I think it was, because the US version had the word spastic used to describe a player who did badly in a round. It was an objectionable word for family audiences and so had to be removed.

See?

So, if one member of this forum (the minority) wanted TWO shut down, but the rest of the forum (the majority) wanted it to stay up and running, are you saying that it would be ok for Kam to appease the minority?

Or, in that case, would the majority take priority?

If that 1 person was Kam then the minority wins...

But seriously, youre either saying that the majority HAS to be right or youre being difficult purpously (and thats my trick :lol) as JJ didnt say that the minority has to be right.

If that 1 person was Kam then the minority wins...

But seriously, youre either saying that the majority HAS to be right or youre being difficult purpously (and thats my trick :lol) as JJ didnt say that the minority has to be right.

There was no right or wrong implied; it was a question of priority and wether one opinion is more valid than many.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
It isnt about the rights of people... religous freedom doesnt count any more then? Fact is that, rightly or wrongly (though in my opinion stupidly) they belive this about not having lines from their holy book used in this manner. Its no different to the UK having a delayed version of... Buzz I think it was, because the US version had the word spastic used to describe a player who did badly in a round. It was an objectionable word for family audiences and so had to be removed.

See?

Why do they just not buy the game if they are so offended by it would be my answer. They can be offended all they like (all though I think its stupid that they are) but that doesn't mean the game should be delayed/changed just to suit them and their interpritation of their religion or, like I said before, you should change everything that any group of people finds offensive

If there is something in a movie (such as High Grant) I don't like I don't watch it. I don't complain and demand the movie is remade without Grant in it to suit me, same thing here but the difference is I (and other non Muslim extreamists who are offended by things) don't make threats to kill people and blow things up if my wishes are not catured to where as Muslim extreamists do so the game gets changed due to the fear they have instilled in people and why Resistance: Fall of Man is unaltered despite the CoE's complains

The difference is that its not against CoEs teachings/beliefs while it is against the Muslim one. The fault is with Sony for not doing the proper checks and research on the game they put together, not the fault of the peple they are offending and blaspheming against.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
The difference is that its not against CoEs teachings/beliefs while it is against the Muslim one. The fault is with Sony for not doing the proper checks and research on the game they put together, not the fault of the peple they are offending and blaspheming against.
Its not against all Muslim teachings though, the song was sung by a Muslim who obviously didn't find any problem with it and the majority of Muslims don't find a problem, its a small group of hardliners who have taken umbridge because of their interpritation of the Koran its not an Islam wide thing its just what some take as the meaning

Its like the extreamists who say all Jews should be killed and any land that was once occupied by Muslims should be taken back by force, that is their interpritation where as the majority of Muslims don't take that from the Koran

Its not against all Muslim teachings though

Fair enough, I was under the impression it was.

Interesting article here:

Dilshad Ali, a Muslim editor at religious website Beliefnet, explained that there is no strict prohibition against including lines from the Qur’an in music. But she described the reasoning that some Muslims might use in finding it a problem. “Muslims are told not to drink alcohol or do drugs or things like that because they are things that would make us lose our inhibitions,” she said.

There is no strict prohibition against including lines from the Qur’an in music.

“I wouldn’t put music on the same scale as that, but that’s the idea behind it. Verses form the Koran have been used all over the place, from poetry and books to words from the Qur’an being quoted in an article. The reason why it’s harder when it comes out in a song is because you’ve got the background of songs being considered Haram — which is “forbidden” — in the very proper-ist of Islamic context. That doesn’t mean Muslims don’t listen to music. I’ve watched MTV. I listen myself when I have the radio and I’m driving the car. But if you put the two together I can see why it would have the potential to be offensive.”

Ibrahim Cooper, spokesperson for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington-based civil rights and advocacy group, said that he “commended” Sony for removing the song from the game, but reiterated Ali’s point that the inclusion of verses from the Qur’an, while potentially problematic, isn’t likely to be widely considered a breach against Muslim religious rules. “It’s not necessarily some strict prohibitions,” he said. “It’s just the appropriateness of the context of the sacred text. I could see Christians or Jews objecting if verses from the Bible were used in a similar way.”

The lack of a specific prohibition against Diabate’s inclusion of the verses makes this situation different from that of the Danish cartoons which violated the teachings of the Prophet. “Portraying an image of the Prophet, that’s an explicit thing,” Ali said. “That’s in Hadith, [the sacred teachings of Mohammed]. And it’s not just the Prophet. Strictly speaking, you’re not supposed to show images of people and especially religious figures, because we’re taught, you don’t want to worship to a portrait, you want to worship God… The idea of a prohibition that there shouldn’t be verses of the Koran, in music…that’s an implied or interpreted rule.”

“I don’t think there would be death marches and things going on.”

Ali doesn’t think that anything close to the reaction to those cartoons would have occurred had Diabate’s song stayed in the game. “I don’t think there would be death marches and things going on,” she said. “Maybe some hardcore Muslims would start some boycotting. That might have happened. I don’t think it would happen on any scale of what happened with the cartoon controversy.” She pointed out that the Queen song “Bohemian Rhapsody” includes a word taken from the Qur’an and no significant controversy ever arose from that.

Full article MTV.com

and

Ibrahim Hoop, national communications director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said he appreciated Sony's sensitivity to Muslim issues, but he's concerned about backlash over the recall. "Many Americans already feel that Muslims want to censor everything," he said. "Yes, some Muslims might feel that the use of the Quran . . . might be an inappropriate use of the text, but we did not ask for this recall. In fact, we haven't received any complaints about this game."

credit= Suntimes

So it was pointed out to Sony by a playtester and they decided to do this to make sure that there was no potential for backlash.

So again, Sonys fault not Muslims. :P

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Well Sony should have released the game as it was then and not bottled it in the face of possibly boycott by a few

They have lost much more money delaying it then they would have from any possibly boycott and more importantly angered me :P

So it was pointed out to Sony by a playtester and they decided to do this to make sure that there was no potential for backlash.

So again, Sonys fault not Muslims. :P

The playtester was a Muslim (so I've read elsewhere).

Guest Jaycey Baby
Well Sony should have released the game as it was then and not bottled it in the face of possibly boycott by a few

They have lost much more money delaying it then they would have from any possibly boycott and more importantly angered me :P

Believe me, the monetary cost of the recall for Sony is small potatoes compared to what they'll gain from the publicity the game has garnered over this. I've seen snippets of the game played on prime-time news. From a financial standpoint at least, no publicity is bad publicity (and if you disagree, explain to me how the likes of Kerry Katona and Jade Goody are still living celebrity lifestyles). Sony are clever little *******s, that's why they have the profile they enjoy today.

Personally, I'm against censorship of any kind, but I can see the benefits of removing such material from a game largely intended for a younger audience. I wouldn't want my kids running around the playground idly chanting verses from the Koran either. If it's an edgy gaming experience you're after, I'd recommend playing games that aren't intended for kids.

I've said it before : if you're easily riled by this kind of thing maybe it would be better to stay away from The Sun or The Daily Mail's websites. Can't be good for your blood pressure fella :D

Edited by Jaycey Baby

Guest Chriscare
Believe me, the monetary cost of the recall for Sony is small potatoes compared to what they'll gain from the publicity the game has garnered over this. I've seen snippets of the game played on prime-time news. From a financial standpoint at least, no publicity is bad publicity (and if you disagree, explain to me how the likes of Kerry Katona and Jade Goody are still living celebrity lifestyles). Sony are clever little *******s, that's why they have the profile they enjoy today.

Good point. Who's to say Sony didn't do this intentionally?

Little Big Planet is potentially the hugest game of the year. However, they've not done much of a marketing campaign for it, which seemed very odd until now. But with this they're in the main stream news, and it's not exactly bad publicity, if anything it makes them look good, a game is delayed, but its because someone found something offensive, and instead of being cooperate greed mongers, they appear to have delayed the game to make people happy.

And they're hardly going to loose out on sales because of it, the only people who know when games are coming out are pretty hardcore gamers and they'd be mad to not HAVE to play this game