Fan Clubs | beta

Batman to be killed off?

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Batman is set to be killed off after 70 years of crime-fighting - in the comic book which created the cartoon superhero.

Rumours are rife that in the next issue of DC Comics' Batman, published on Thursday, Bruce Wayne will meet a grisly end.

The latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight, starring Christian Bale as Wayne, was a box office smash this year and another film is said to be in the offing - but it appears the comic book equivalent has now run its course.

The Bruce Wayne character is now expected to 'retire' from his duties, perhaps leading to a new Batman or an entirely different superhero to take his place.

Credit: WENN

So all you comic book fans what do yu think of this news then?

I read about Bruce Wayne being killed off quite a while ago. He's a little old now, but I'd like to see someone else take over as Batman like in Batman of the Future or something, that was cool.

Maybe Robin can take over. He needs a new outfit badly. Not surprised to hear Batman is going away he's been around forever. No pun intended.

pish.

They killed Supes and bought him back.

They've done anything they can feasibly do to Bats/Bruce and still he keeps on keepin' on.

They'll keep him dead for 6-12 months then he'll be back when sales need a spike.

DC comics = arseholes.

Agree with Inno... death of batman = sales, return of Batman = sales.

Though, I have to admit they really did a number with the death of superman, 4 comics for each of the 4 returned supermen and in the end

It wasn't any of them, well except the clone, it was superman, just not er... Superman... You know what I mean!!!!

Guest Jayfunk
Maybe Robin can take over. He needs a new outfit badly. Not surprised to hear Batman is going away he's been around forever. No pun intended.

robin becomes nightwing in the arch

robin becomes nightwing in the arch

I have no idea that that means. I'm not really into superheroes. I mean I know the main characters but that's about it.

All they are saying is that Bruce Wayne is dying, possibly, not Batman as the whole idea of Batman is to create something for criminals to fear, an image, an icon as a man is weak and easily destroyed.

Therefore if Bruce does die then the character will go onto to a new character OR Bruce will just 'die', that meaning he will appear to have died and then come back later on in a new arch of story like Inno and others have suggested.

Mind you thats better then the storyline re-boot they did after the Civil War sage ended over in Marvel for the Spiderman storylines via Aunt May OR the one they did for nearly the whole Marvel range after the Onslaught sage as well.

But still an annoying rip off.

Guest Sparrow

THE world’s most famous comic book hero has breathed his last Bat breath.

Bruce Wayne – who by night is Batman – gets murdered by a man claiming to be the father he thought was dead.

In a highly controversial new storyline Bruce, who first appeared in 1939, is killed by Simon Hurt – the leader of the shady Black Glove organisation.

Simon claims he is really Dr Thomas Wayne, saying he faked his own passing when Bruce was a child.

The superhero dies when he tries to stop his foe escaping by helicopter in the new comic Batman R.I.P.

Writer Grant Morrison said: “This is so much better than death. People have killed characters in the past but to me, that kind of ends the story!

"I like to keep the story twisting and turning. So what I am doing is a fate worse than death. Things that no one would expect to happen to these guys at all.

"This is the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman."

Batman will live on though, with another character filling his Batsuit.

Two likely contenders are Dick Grayson - the original Robin - or current Boy Wonder, Tim Drake.

:sad: A nice twist but a sad day for all!

OK, I call it now, Bruce didnt die (belive that, screw what it says above as most other sources disagree) but will either return as Batman (remember Bane and knightfall) or as an advisor to Batman.

Though Grayson as Batman wont work for me, I liked Batman as being a hero who walked that line between black and white, right and wrong, sanity and insanity. Grayson isnt that messed up.

This will so fall on its ass it is unbelievable, I mean, who is going to replace a playboy who really leads a double life?

Hey! Perhaps P.Diddy would like to nominate himself to that as well?

• 2 months later...
Grant Morrison's 2008 storyline, "Batman R.I.P.", featuring Batman being physically and mentally broken by the enigmatic "Black Glove", garnered much news coverage in advance of its highly-promoted conclusion, which would supposedly feature the death of Bruce Wayne.

The intention was, in fact, not for Batman to die in the pages of "R.I.P." but for the story to continue with the current DC event Final Crisis, and have the death occur there. However, out of desire to give the storyline of "R.I.P." a suitable conclusion in an of itself, Batman appeared to die in the final chapter of the story, only to turn up alive in the very next issues as a prisoner of "Crisis" villain Darkseid.

The true death came a month later, in the limited series Final Crisis, during which Batman confronts the story's villain Darkseid. Making rare exception, Batman uses a gun, loaded with a Radion (which is poisonous to the New Gods) bullet, to shoot Darkseid's shoulder, just as Darkseid unleashes his Omega Sanction, the "life that is death", upon Batman and his charred corpse is recovered by Superman.

However, the Omega Sanction does not kill its victims: instead, it sends their consciousness travelling through parallel worlds, and at the conclusion of Final Crisis, it is made clear that this is the fate that has befallen the still-living Batman, as he watches the passing of Anthro in the distant past.

Credit: Wiki

I had read that it wasn't Bruce's actual father and that he was being manipulated by Dr. Sam Hurt and the "Black Glove" crime syndicate, but the conclusion with Darkseid is something I just read about today.

Anyway, here is a nice shot of those who may take over the mantle of "The Bat" until they find a way to bring Bruce back. Who can you spot among the crowd?

Two-Face is my favourite looking one.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hyks43.jpg

Guest Jaycey Baby
I bet it won't be as exciting as when Softie Walter disguised himself as The Pink Glove and messed with Dennis and Gnasher's tiny minds in The Beano.