Fan Clubs | beta

Resident Evil 5

Guest Phil

I've had a look through the last couple of pages and not seen a thread for this one.

so what do you all think of Resident Evil 5, for those that have played it?

How do you think it compares to Resi Evil 4, and what do you think of the new 'revelations' that are encountered throughout the game.

I remember playing number 4 about 5 times while I was at Uni, being able to upgrade weapons and buy all the stuff fromt he trader was brilliant and made a welcome change from the original games. I loved the whole static camera look of the first few games, but it was definitely getting a bit boring, number 4 took a risk and I think it worked. First time I played it it took me about 15 hours, by the 5th time I was doing it in about 5/6 hours. Brilliant game.

RE5 is similar in gameplay and style, but the story is much more ingrained in RE history. RE4 seemed like a one off story, RE5 incorporates number 4 and the previous titles and moulds it all into one giant story, it really is awesome how they've done it.

Unfortunately, after finishing it the other day I don't feel it has the repeat factor that 4 does, I'm sure I'll play it again to try and unlock some more stuff, but I get the impression i'll be doing it solely for the extras, whereas with 4 I really wanted to play it again.

ANybody else played this one? What are your thoughts?

Guest Evil Monkey

I played it through 3 times. Its a great game I think, but very similar to RE4. I also think it was way too short - maybe its because I am better at games than I was but I have found that I have completed this Resident Evil much quicker than previous instalments.

I agree with the repeat factor - the only reason I played it 3 times was to try and get my money's worth out of it, but I have since traded it in (a mere month after it was released).

Guest Dante Spears
I can't stand it. Your partner is an idiot, and the inventory screen is bloody annoying. I'm amazed they basically ripped off RE4, and still managed to botch the entire thing

Guest Jaycey Baby
I can't stand it. Your partner is an idiot, and the inventory screen is bloody annoying. I'm amazed they basically ripped off RE4, and still managed to botch the entire thing

Just like that bloody Lord Of The Rings : The Two Towers, ripping of Lord Of The Rings : Fellowship like that. Same characters, still banging on about the bloody ring, what a swizz!

Oh yes, lots of opportunities for wanton sarcasm today!

Edited by Jaycey Baby

Guest John Hancock
I gave up after I found the controls to be literally the worst controls I've ever used on a modern game. Just horrible. Horribly horrible. I rented this game and played it, I believe, a full two times before I gave up. It wasn't hard or anything, it was just no fun to play. Not being able to move and shoot, enemies that take a million shots to kill, everything looking the exact damn same, a horrible camera angle, and some of the worst partner AI I've ever seen.

Not being able to move and shoot, enemies that take a million shots to kill, everything looking the exact damn same, a horrible camera angle, and some of the worst partner AI I've ever seen.

I agree with the partner AI, the amount of time she was shooting me in the shoulder instead of the enemies was crazy, but you've never been able to move and shoot in any of the previous Resident Evil games, so how come that became an issue with this one?

The controls were a bit clunky, definitely not as good as RE4, but after a while you get used to them.

The controls were a bit clunky, definitely not as good as RE4, but after a while you get used to them.
I agree with this; I wasn't a fan of the controls when I first played the game, but after about 30mins, they became intuitive and easy to work around.

I really enjoyed the game and loved how the mythology of the entire series was tied together. The reveal of the mystery women being Jill Valentine was an anti-climax (it was so obvious), but the story was well done and some of the set-pieces were amazing.

I agree with this; I wasn't a fan of the controls when I first played the game, but after about 30mins, they became intuitive and easy to work around.

definitely, there were still some problems I had, trying to do a quick 180 turn and then stun rod someone often led to do me doing a full 360 and then stunning Sheva by accident, but you figure out how to move and how not to move.

I really enjoyed the game and loved how the mythology of the entire series was tied together. The reveal of the mystery women being Jill Valentine was an anti-climax (it was so obvious), but the story was well done and some of the set-pieces were amazing.

I loved that aspect, the fact that they managed to tie it all together was brilliant. With RE4 I kinda thought it was just like a action/horror game that starred Leon Kennedy, but RE5 really merged everything well.

Like you say the Jill bit was obvious from the moment we learnt she might not be dead after all (and probably before that bit too).

Guest John Hancock
you've never been able to move and shoot in any of the previous Resident Evil games, so how come that became an issue with this one?

I don't know if it's because of other games I've played since Resi 4 or whatever, but, for some reason, I kept on trying to run and aim and being weirdly frustrated that I couldn't.

I think it might be the design of the game in 4 meant that it wasn't so much of an issue.

The moment that really sticks in my mind is the first battle with one of the bag headed chainsaw guys. It's you and him in a tiny, tiny alley way, and, if he touches you, you die instantly. I don't mind that, as it's a cool little claustrophobic atmosphere, but the problem arises when it become clear that what you have to do is run as far backwards as you can and repeated shoot this guy until he runs up to you, then, before the can hit you, turn around and run off again, rather than the logical and more atmospheric thing, which would be you desperately running backwards whilst shooting. I just remember doing that and thinking, "Man, this would be so cool if I could actually move."

Generally, as I think of it, it's the boss battles that really wound me up with the no-running-whilst-shooting stuff, because it means that, whatever you're doing, you have to run off ahead somewhere to give you time to stand perfectly still and aim, rather than having the freedom to move whilst you line up your shoots, which is a game dynamic that struck me as really, really dumb. I like game where the characters move realistically, right in there, reaction with the action, but, in this game, every big fight I had was basically me running, as fast as I could, to the back of the map, putting my back to a wall, and shooting every target one by one, until they catch up with me and I'm forced to change position, like it was Time Crisis, or something like that (NOT THAT I'M KNOCKING TIME CRISIS!).

The whole way the shooting worked was just... boring. Every fight was the same. It's you standing still whilst zombies come through, either a door, a window, or an alley way, and you stand perfectly still, like a retard, shooting them in the head one by one, whilst your partner repeatedly shooting you in the back for 50% of the time, whilst spending the other 50% screaming about how she doesn't have any ammunition.

After a point, I just played the game with my knife and my fists, just because it was more fun.

Guest John Hancock
I preferred the Silent Hills too, but, they're really different games. Resident Evil's always been an action game with a bit of horror, where as the Silent Hills are horror games with a bit of action.

Guest Jayfunk
I preferred the Silent Hills too, but, they're really different games. Resident Evil's always been an action game with a bit of horror, where as the Silent Hills are horror games with a bit of action.

totally agree, i love the whole town of silent hill and atmosphere its great

Guest John Hancock
I'm embarrassed to say it, but one of the Silent Hills (I forget which one) was the only game so scary that I literally had to just stop playing it. Everyone of those games just full on freaked me out.

I'm not a fan of the "not being able to move while shooting" aspect, but I got round it pretty quickly.

As for Silent Hill, there have been moments of playing the first three games (Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 specifically) where, due to playing in a darkened room on my own, my mind started playing tricks on me and I had to stop for a bit to calm down.

Guest John Hancock
was it the cat in the locker in the school? the only time i ever jumpped at a game

That bit made me jump but being made to jump doesn't really effect me. The bit that made me go "Yeah, I'll just play this in the morning when it's light" can be described on three words, a number, and a hyphen that will strike fear into anyone who knows what I'm talking about;

Silent Hill 3 - Mannequins.

A close second is Silent Hill 2 when it's finally made overtly obvious that Pyramid Head is... a rapist. A demon rapist from hell, who rapes the other demons, then kills them, then rapes their corpses, and will do the same to you. That right there is the most f*cked up video game character to all time.

That actually something I have against Resident Evil. Either it needs to pick atmosphere and scares and claustrophobia, and go the Silent Hill root, like the first Resident Evils did, which might justify it's controls, and it's apparently unexpected plot twists, or they need to do the Dead Rising root and just shout, 'ZOMBIEZ!" and let you run around killing things like a mad man. Playing Resident Evil 5 made me have four emotions:

Something scary happens - "I wish I was playing Silent Hill"

Some action happens - "I wish I was playing Dead Rising"

Some story line happens - "I wish I was playing Resident Evil 1"

I get shot in the back for the 800th time by my own partner whilst stuck in a pitch black tunnel with no ammunition, standing perfectly still, waiting for zombies to walk themselves into my knife range because, apparently, in Special Forces Training Camp I didn't attend the lesson regarding MOVING AND USING A SWITCH BLADE AT THE SAME TIME, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure my one year cousin could do that with relative ease, given the motive - "I wish I wasn't playing this game"

EDIT: Silent Hill disturbing moment number three, whilst I think of it, that room in, I think, Silent Hill 4, when one wall of the room is a MASSIVE badly burnt and scared woman's face, who's eyes follow you. She's stuck in the room, and all she does is just repeatedly ask you to kill her

Edited by John Hancock

• 2 months later...
Guest Ruderz
After getting the game, I find it quite good. I agree with the moving/shooting thing, that sucks, especially in boss battles, but the story line has me interested. Oh, and you should be able to BUY AMMUNITION!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest LadyHotrod

I am a HUGE RE fan and I actually hate RE4. I know it's the opposite of what most people think of it but I just really can't stand it and playing through it once was enough for me. I tried to play it again and barely made it 10 minutes into the game. I just find the whole atmosphere of the game to be very dull and the new characters sucked. I mean, Steve has to be one of the worst characters ever but I'd even prefer him and his sissy attitude over garbage like Salazar.

RE5, on the other hand, I LOVED and played about a zillion times over. It was awesome nostalgia to see Wesker, Chris and Jill together in the same game again.