Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  36 members  ·  Free

Xbox

X-Box live - help me decide!

Guest Phil

I really need some help on this one. i've been thinking of buying an XBox live subscription as most of the wii games I own aren't really designed for multiplayer, and I don't want to burn out those that are.

However, I really resent being made to pay for XBL when I can go online for free on the wii, so what are the benefits of getting it?

I can buy a 3 month subscription for about £16 in ASDA so that's not too bad, but all I want to do is play games online, I'm not bothered about i-player or last.fm or anything like that, so is it worth it when I can just go on the wii?

The only thing that's swinging it for me at the moment is the ability to talk to people, but there's a microphone coming out for the wii so that should cover that possibility.

any help would be appreciated.

Guest Anime Otaku
I'd say that if you're not using it for things like Last Fm and iPlayer then it comes down to the games and there are some great ones, though it'd probably be better if you can arrange to play online with friends for the best experience. Also the friends list on Xbox and PS3 is infinitely better implemented than Nintendo's friend codes.

things like iplayer I can get for free on the wii, without having to pay for the internet connection, so it's pointles getting XBox live just for that.

the games could be a selling point, as well as the friends thing, I have more friends with Xbox than wii.

Guest Anime Otaku
I think some games have 2 week freebie with them as well if you got something recently. Can't think of one that did off the top of my head though.

I have red dead redemption, section 8 and a few others that escape me now, If I get a live subscription I think I'd buy more games just for online play, at the moment I buy a lot of single player games like Darksiders and Legendary.

Guest Dr. ZERO
Unless you bought your hard drive second hand, you'll be able to try it for free - I'm pretty sure the first three accounts you make online accessible get a free month of gold.

Unless you bought your hard drive second hand, you'll be able to try it for free - I'm pretty sure the first three accounts you make online accessible get a free month of gold.

That's true. Plus Red Dead is unlimited fun online.

cheers guys. I've been on the XBox tonight to try and get a free demo and I think I need to buy an external router as it wouldn't connect, even though my wii connects fine, I'll look at picking that up tomorrow.

The Xbox is my cousins. He let me 'borrow' it while he was out of the country travelling. That was nearly 3 years ago and he's been back twice since then, so I don't think he wants it back any time soon!

I'm on wi-fi but I don't know what a wireless bridge is!

I have the most basic 360 if that helps, I can't even play original XBox games as I need to buy an external hard drive, which I'm not paying £60 for.

I've just been to Argos, Tesco and ASDA and the cheapest one they had was 40 odd quid. I got one for my laptop for £16.99. F*ck you Microsoft, I'll stick to the wii thanks you money grabbing c*nts!