Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE Extreme Rules 2011 Discussion Thread - May 1, 2011 from Tampa, FL (#5)

TPIB

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MojoPogo

I enjoyed this far more than i thought i was going to. Orton seemed to be genuinelly getting buoyed by each cheer, and getting more and more mental as that match went on, which was brilliant. Punk sold as fantastically as he always does. Kharma made me laugh, it was her laughing then serious face, but i just knew she was gonna KILL McTool, that music is great. But Christian winning? Both me and my pal Sarah legitimately jumped up and shouted YES! fists pumping. These, friends, are the moments that remind me why I love to watch wrestling!

Edges' reaction to was just gold. Genuine emotion, and he even had the grace to remind Christian it was HIS moment! Brilliant, and I hope the find a role for him. Commentary would be excellent! Del Rio looked a little uncomfortable in that environment, but he didnt have take a sore one on the ladder so, kudos. Ironically, the match i enjoyed the least was the cage match, as i could predict what was coming, and im not normally so good at that. Still a fine show all round though.

Also, any updates on whether Christain got fined for nearly knocking Brodus Clay's head off with a ladder? And can Alvarez listeners confirm my suspicions that Alvarez stayed quiet on the Christain/Brodus Clay thing while only a few weeks ago he had a fit over kendo stick shots to Bubba Ray's head.
"The paranoia is strong in this one."

:lol

Guest The Beltster
Alvarez is a fan boy. Expect and accept it or dont listen to him or it, along with his homo voice, will drive you crazy.

Guest Twig
sounds like a good show, don't have the interest to watch the whole thing, but if you could recommend one match that I HAVE to see which one would it be?

Wow, hard call Twigs. Punk/Orton was good in ring, the womens match was pretty decent and worth watching for Kong making her debut. But if just one... ladder match I think.

Wow, poor Brodus Clay. It has been quite some time since I've seen that much blood spilled on a WWE show and the fact that it was unintentional makes it worse.

Believe it or not, I was kind of surprised that John Cena was given the WWE Title. I kind of expected The Miz to hold on to it until SummerSlam, at least. I really hope Cena does not hold on to the title until his WrestleMania match with The Rock, though it seems highly likely.

I seriously have my doubts about Christian as World Heavyweight Champion. I can't really pinpoint why, but I still don't see Christian as World Champion material, but who knows? Maybe he will surprise me as champion.

Despite her finisher not exactly looking as devastating as it should have, I thought Kharma's debut was well done and I look forward to her demolishing the Divas division.

I don't really frequent sites like WrestleScoop or anything too much nowadays, but I assume Michelle McCool requested some time off or something.

Booker T still comes across as hopelessly clueless in a lot of his commentary, but he is improving more every week.

I was surprised to see Michael Cole & Jack Swagger come out the winners of the Country Whipping Match. This whole Michael Cole angle is starting to run a little thin to me, so that probably means they will keep it going for a while longer. I expect the next evolution of the angle will probably see a legit Superstar challenging Michael Cole to a match and then getting beat down or something. I would love to see Kharma be the one to do that, :lol

As is the case a lot in wrestling, The Miz should consider himself lucky that he did not do serious damage to his neck. It definitely looked like a stinger to me, but time will tell if that is all it is, I suppose.

The Last Man Standing Match was a solid match and a decent way to end the feud, but I think some post-match involvement from The New Nexus might have made some sense. They could have them run out and try to attack Orton, only for Orton to use the kendo sticks on them, but oh well.

I enjoyed the Falls Count Anywhere Match, as well. It was nice, and surprising, to see the Poison Mist make an appearance. Given the shot on Mysterio's eyes that they gave, it gave me ideas of them turning Rey heel, which would be interesting, but I can't see it happening. By the way, here is the shot I am referring to:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e317/wwecsh88/20110501_er_rey_r.jpg

I was surprised to see them give the United States Title to Kofi Kingston. It's kind of a shame as I thought Sheamus was really doing good as the champion, but maybe they are looking to move him up to the main event on SmackDown, which would make sense to me.

I'm not entirely convinced that the "off" parts of R-Truth's promos are part of the unbalanced heel character, but it seems to be working for the character.

I don't really frequent sites like WrestleScoop or anything too much nowadays, but I assume Michelle McCool requested some time off or something.

Womens match potential spoilers

PWInsider.com has confirmed that

Michelle McCool is legitimately leaving WWE, not taking time off as some speculated. Therefore, this Sunday will be her final match with WWE.

So yeah, shes done if thats right.

Edited by Kam

Guest Jayfunk
I seriously have my doubts about Christian as World Heavyweight Champion. I can't really pinpoint why, but I still don't see Christian as World Champion material, but who knows? Maybe he will surprise me as champion.

But you see del rio as champ interesting

Personally I thought that was an excellent little PPV, the only matches that really let it down were the women's match (redeemed by Kong) and the tag title match which was utterly pointless.

What I think stood out for me was that looking at who was on the card there were not really that many of the old guard big guns running the show. The only long term (if you call them that now) top card guys were Orton and Cena (ignoring the tag match because it did nothing). Morrison looked awesome in that cage match and I guess that's the ultimate problem with him. In that kind of gimmick environment he can excel but is he that exciting in a normal one on one match?

Anyway, the point is there are a lot of mid card guys doing a really good job for the WWE right now and stepping up their game when they've been given the chance.

Guest Jamster26

Ha, over the moon. Finally, a PPV that delivered! It's been a while. Obviously chuffed for Christian, even if I was alittle surprised that he won; can't wait to see how it develops.

The other matches were decent but my god, the way Miz fell; very lucky. Who's fault was it; I don't know whether Miz didnt tuck his head in far enough or whether Cena / Morrison just didn't execute the move properly?

Hopefully WWE can keep the PPV's to this standard and if they do, I'll be buying more, on a regular basis.

Guest Seraphina

I'm getting ready for work at the moment, so this is gonna be pretty disjointed since I'm just gonna throw out random thoughts on the show since I won't get a chance later.

I enjoyed it, overall. Much, much better than Mania. I can't think of any particular part of the show that out and out sucked, but I can think of plenty that really satisfied. Sure, I'm sick to the back teeth of Michael Cole, and I'm irritated to see he won, which indicates the inevitable continue of his dead-horse of an angle, but ah well....most of the matches were damn good.

I'm a little concerned about Del Rio at this point. I was worried that whoever lost between him and Christian (and let's face it, because of the Edge situation, Christian was the emotional favourite and Del Rio was never going to win that match) was going to end up shuffled down to the midcard and forgotten, because that's what Vince tends to do. Hopefully the fact that he's at the top of the card means he'll stay at the top of the card, and will start fueding for the championship on..uh...whatever show he's one now, anyway, I haven't watched Smackdown or Raw lately.

I don't mind the belt being back on Cena...partly because I think they longer the Miz's reign went on, and the more they treated him like a whipping boy, the more harm it was going to do him and the title. His reign did nothing to legitimise him as champion, unfortunately. But hey, at least he got there.

Also: Awesome Kong/Kharma scared the bejezus out of me.

I can't really be bothered reading through 8 pages of comments...but did anyone else notice that, at the end of the Last Man Standing match, Randy almost forgot to stand up O.o The ref got to nine before he had to gesture for Randy to stand up before he ended up counting it out as a draw.

Guest Jayfunk
The only bad thing about Kong's debut is basically the fact that mccool is a terrible wrestler and didn't land on her stomach but on her knees which IMHO took away from the move Edited by Jayfunk

Anyone else got a feeling that JR wants to knock some serious shit into people when he steps in the ring? Can understand with all the piss he gets.

Guest Jimmy Redman
I don't mind the belt being back on Cena...partly because I think they longer the Miz's reign went on, and the more they treated him like a whipping boy, the more harm it was going to do him and the title. His reign did nothing to legitimise him as champion, unfortunately. But hey, at least he got there.

This is interesting...and I'd actually agree with it.

When Miz won MITB in the first place I was always comparing it to Edge in my head. I know when Edge lost the belt back to Cena three weeks later everyone was crying into their pillows, but in hindsight, it actually worked out better for him that way, instead of trying to have a long reign straight up, going through WM season standing next to more legitimate stars. He would only have been pushed aside for Cena and HHH anyway and ended up looking like...well, The Miz.

But the way it happened, Edge won the belt, proved he could hold it, spiked business, and then dropped down and had a good feud with Foley in the semi-main position, looked strong for the next few months at that level and then won the belt back later on his own merits, not from cashing in.

I mean of course there is a lot more to it than simple a timeline of winning and losing the title, Edge had a lot more credibility and was booked light years better than Miz has been. Plus in 2006 the title meant a gazillion times more so it actually mattered then that Edge wasnt totally there yet, as opposed to now when midcarders win it and it doesnt matter at all.

I think my point is that good booking is better than simply holding onto the title like Miz has.

I really, really, REALLY enjoyed this show.

I loved that all the way through the show there were loads of teases to spots you've come to expect and then they'd throw you a curve ball. Just great.

Christian winning was pretty wonderful - you could really tell it meant a lot to him and it makes ALL the difference. Really chuffed for him.

Only major problem I have was Cole going over. Just moronic.

Even up to that point though I'd been having loads of fun with that match, so it's a shame they killed it completely with the decision.

Even the tag title match which was pointless was short enough, along with Big Show's impressive big bump, to make me not hate it. I spent ages trying to work out who all the lumberjacks were and genuinely couldn't name most of them... oh dear me.

As somebody else said, it was a great "oh look, we actually have a whole bunch of pretty f*cking talented young guys in the company".

The video to Rhodes/Mysterio was amazing to - got me soooooooo psyched for it :).

Very glad I went for it, yeah.

Guest Jayfunk
i loved orton vs punk but it seriously shouldn't have gone out first wwe needs to sort it out they have been doing this a lot lately it sucks,