Fan Clubs | beta

Games you hate but others LOVE

King

So it got me thinking after posting in the currently playing thread, what games do ye hate but most others seem to love?

3 off the top of my head are,

Halo

Borderlands

Fallout 3

I know there is many more, but this hangover is well mind numbing :lol

Funnily enough those are three games I all love - well apart from Halo 2 and Halo 3: ODST, they are the weaker children of the franchise.

For me it was Grand Theft Auto IV. That's four not five people. It was just TOO much with all the side missions, friends missions and the size of the city. Rockstar wanted to make a game that showed just how much they could do and build and everything else was sort of an after thought to me. The main character was dull, the cover system was pap and who the hell wants to find pigeons as a collectable?!?!

They fixed that with V by giving us Trevor and just tightening it the hell up again but still keeping a massive world and functioning city so kudos for listening Rockstar.

Also Call of Duty after MW2. They have the bones of a good idea and story for the single player, then remember that most people who play them only really play COD all day and nothing else until the next one comes out and just want to run around online shooting everything that moves so they skip to the end real quick and whack the game out. Battlefield is better people, trust me on this and even that ended a bit quick with 4.

Finally, going old school here, but Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Kazooie. I want my platform games to be side scrolling and 2D dammit! That's just personal opinion though but I don't think Mario was worth the 97% that GamesMaster gave it for instance on release. It still gets mentioned as one of if not the best n64 game ever when lets be honest, Ocarina of Time spanks its backside.

Call of Duty. Period. I bought the game full price once and that was for Modern Warfare 2. It was okay, not "zomgz bestest game ever" territory at all. Plus online is full of turds. Meh. Double meh.

Generally any combo-based fighting game (i.e. Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. well Tekken to a lesser extent as long as I can still exploit Eddy Gordo like the cheap ***** that I am.). I haven't got the patience to nail down super quick combos, plus end bosses are usually cheap assholes who drive me to the brink of breaking controllers. Damn them to hell. Also, special shoutout to the Acclaim Warzone engine games for a completely different reason, looking back, having to pause the game mid-match every 5 seconds to look up a combo for the move I want to do is a pain in my ass.

----

On the flip side, I just want to explain why I liked certain games that others don't get or just don't like.

Halo - Multiplayer. The story is usually pap that I skip, but Halo 3 and Reach for multiplayer death matches with your friends can be legendary. The sheer creativity of the community to create custom maps and game types on a console is virtually unheard of, but now is coming more and more into the mainstream. Used to have tons of fun playing with Rudie, Reno, Dr. Zero, Sparrow and a few others. Good times.

Fallout 3 - Took me a while to get into it, but the story is really quite cool. But you need to sink a lot into the game to ratchet up your skills and stuff. When I first started playing, I never got further than Megaton before being slaughtered. No me gusta.

Minecraft - Just for griefing really. :lol

Guest The Beltster

Portal 2, HALO (apart from Reach, which was alright), Battlefield, Metal Gear Solid, FIFA (football is the worst sport on the planet along with Cricket and Golf!)....going back, as a kid I hated Sonic, I was also a Nintendo/Mario kid.

Also, playing online. I hate it, I have never understood why this is such a big deal to people. Having to play laggy games with a bunch of racist 12 year old w@nkers isn't my idea of fun.

Metal Gear Solid

Yep, bang on the money there - I don't want to creep around in a box and getting pee'd on by wolves - I want shoot the whole place up and destroy it like the bad ass I am supposed to be. Plus all those cut scenes you couldn't skip that went on and on and on like a HHH promo from the late 90's.

Also, playing online. I hate it, I have never understood why this is such a big deal to people. Having to play laggy games with a bunch of racist 12 year old w@nkers isn't my idea of fun.

I hate playing online unless I am playing FIFA in a club with my friends and we are in party chat instead of general and even then if it is a bad day for lag the games gets turned off. When you play online against people who aren't your friends you soon release that it somehow takes all the worst parts of humanity, concentrates then and unleashes them in a bunch of vile, bile ridden idiotic comments and insults - if you don't want to lose don't play until you've figured out how to deal with it - start by remembering you are playing a game based in a virtual world you tools.

Every Call of Duty ever made.

This, plus any variations of CoD by other gaming companies. It's not that I hate them, I just struggle to grasp how it can be any different in each annual release. I know that as a FIFA fan that makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but at least with FIFA there's a bit of variation within the game.

Guest The Beltster
The difference is that the campaign is completely different. Its the same gameplay mechanics but a different story. So the difference is different levels pretty much. I buy every NBA game, dunno why, they are almost identical every year just like most annual sports releases.

The single player campaign and multiplayer maps are different in each release and they usually have a fun alternate game mode, like zombies. Some aspects of gameplay also vary between releases, but it's largely the same.

It's five or six hours of shooter fun where the writers have pretty much been given free reign to loose their minds. Ghosts is hilariously OTT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Anime Otaku
Gears of war, got the first one but it really didn't do anything for me, the multiplayer was put over as really good in reviews but I hated it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big FIFA fan (PS3) but I too get easily hateful when I have to deal with the cretins who play it online. Thing is I actually much prefer the gameplay you get when you are playing against another anonymous human. Virtual gameplay can become so predictable.

The thing that really grinds my gears about it is the fact that no matter who I play against, I always, always, always play against Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or Chelsea. Always. And if that's not bad enough they have also uploaded their stupid custom players? Every now and again you get a "PLAYER1" playing up front for Barcelona, who is 6'4", 100 pace, 100 shot power, top skills, unplayable.

To compound this I prefer playing as either Swindon, Santos or, if I'm feeling annoyed, Arsenal. This won't surprise you to hear at all but I much prefer being Swindon and just pass, pass, passing, creating space, pulling them out of position, before playing a through-ball to a third runner. Of course as soon as I lose the ball it's just "long ball, Ronaldo, runs with it, squares it, Benzema, tap in". Every time. It's tedious.

I like being Santos though, as they have Neymar, and I've pretty much mastered him and all his stupid tricks. You pick Santos, they pick Real Madrid, and when it kicks off you can hear the guy on the headset saying "oh sh*t" as it's dawned on him who Neymar played for before Barca.

The vilest crud I ever heard was a Santos game. Can't remember who I was playing, but I think it was Bayern. Anyway, it's 0-0 and it's comfortable for me. He's got about 3 customs on his side and the stuff he's saying down the phone is just pure evil. It was clear his father had repeatedly raped him as a child. It's easy for me to contain him, but Santos have Ganso, who has remarkable close control and eye for a pass, but pace of about 3. It takes some skill to completely master Ganso, something which I'm way off. This meant that I'm easy in defence but one of his stupid mega fast, mega strong customs is man-marking Ganso. It's a stalemate, and I end up taking the headphones off, but he's shouting now so you can still hear him.

90th minute, I'm playing a 4-3-3, Neymar left of the front 3. Can't remember the exact scenario but I think he's cleared a corner of mine, only Neymar is (quite bizarrely) stationed down by the halfway line for it. So he hoofs it clear towards my left wing, his right back :xyx and ol' Neymar collects it on the halfway line. I do a couple of standing step-overs and I see one of his gormless Bayern mongs sprinting towards Neyney. Can't remember what I do with my thumbs but I do something and Neymar does this pirhouetting, steppy-over flicky-up and leaves gimp slide-tackling like a moron. I hear him shouting something about raping a baby, genuinely.

Neymar runny-sprints down the left wing. You sprint at first but slow to a run when approaching a player because you have more control of the ball for avoiding tackles. Needless to say I slow down, knock it to the left or right just a smudge, and saunter past two more of his gimpy German halfwits. Then I just stop and put my foot on the ball, sending another one of his players slide-tackling in to the great beyond. I'm near the edge of the box now....

...what follows is just a series of feints and stepovers basically, and I'm weaving through his players, round his keeper, and to a tight angle to the right of the goal. Must have gone past 10 players. Last thing I do is three faked shots, eventually he presses the button that makes his keeper slide at my feet, and like a little Gedion Zelalem in 4 years time, my boy Neymar just does that little dinky-poos over his goalie and in to the goal. He goes berserk, I think he sodomises his own mother in the process, and is actually screaming like Dave Grohl down the headset, and the final whistle goes.

Never have I witnessed such anger, and never have I scored another goal like THAT! :xyx. Good times.

Cheers!

Guest BarrettBarrage

^^ I had a great Fifa experience last night, after dominating this guy for twenty minutes I got told "Mate I will c*nt your neck in"...This sentence is possibly the least sensical but most beautiful sentence I have ever heard.

As for games I hate that other people love, I'd probably go for GTA:V as the top one; victim of its own hype so I tried to look past that one. None of the characters are particularly interesting, they are just pretty generic to be honest. The heists were the most fun thing about the game and there were only two of the things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest fattyfudge

Mine is definitely an unpopular opinion and i'm ready for the hate, but i really couldn't get into The Last of Us. I thought the characters were boring and the story dragged like hell... It's also ridiculously difficult with the clickers so i never even finished it.

People were saying that they got really emotionally involved with the characters, but i didn't build any love for any of them whatsoever, and thought they were pretty bland overall. Maybe i would have got into it more if i had got further, but i never had the urge to play it and get through the story to see how it panned out.