Fan Clubs | beta

Boardwalk Empire Season 5

Guest John Hancock

Guest John Hancock
Boo you sir! I'm an episode ahead, so I don't want to say too much, but I'm loving it. They better hurry up and go somewhere though, this season needs a mega-mega everyone dies send off, and they better start getting there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
You'd assume so, but the name change leaves it open. It's kinda the same with Narcisse, that they're both based on real people, but you can go off script with them because of the name change.

Guest John Hancock
I loved the Goodfellas thing (that movies was Goodfells right?), where you think it's a rip off of the "Funny how?" thing, and then, at the end, it completely flips. Capone is the new Rosetti.

Guest John Hancock

How shit is that Harlem brothel doorman?

I don't know if I like or dislike how casually it's taking the end of the series. I thought, after the shooting in Cuba, things might start barrelling out of control, but everything's still sort of held together still, I'm waiting for the wheels to finally come off. Looking at the trailer, that could well happen tonight.

EDIT: Watched back that episode and I forgot to say, that scene of Doyle pretending to hand over Chalky was, so creepy, with the piano being tuned in the background and the really weird laugh. If Doyle turns out being a villain, I'd have absolutely no problem with it after that scene.

Edited by John Hancock

Guest John Hancock
Hoooooooooooly shit, King, avoid spoilers with your very life. After saying how slowly it's building toward the finale, episode six, shit. kicks. off.

Wow, just WOW!!, that was a f**king great episode, Van Alden losing it at the end showing what kind of a psycho he was originally was great and poor ol chalky knowing what was in his future was just great tv.

The Nucky stuff was only ok but got great with the last scene with Doyle.

Guest John Hancock

One of my favourite things about this show is how important ever death is. Whenever a major character dies, there's a little story to it that always pays off. Van Alden goes back to being Van Alden after, what, three seasons of being someone else? When he yelled "AND I AM AN AGENT OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!" or whatever he said, first time I've ever marked out for a return to Christian fundamentalism. He got to die as Nelson van Alden, with everyone knowing his name and who he was, it was almost like a little victory in a way.

And then you get Chalky, resigning to his fact, acting like he's been tricked, even though he knew all along and just went with it. He let himself die for a second chance at saving his daughter's life (Daughter's daughter, which I assume was his).

Only two episodes left now. It's sinking in finally :(

I think I've pretty much got the end figured out though.

The kid Mickey Doyle hired is Tommy Darmody and he's going to kill Nucky. The writing papers Gillian's sneaking out in prison are either letters to Nucky, threatening or bribing him, which ends up with Tommy finding out who he's really working for when Gillian eventually goes public telling everyone Nucky killed Jimmy, which would tie into who the newspapers went after Nucky Johnson in 1931 in real life. OR Tommy's known all along, because Gillian's writing to him, getting him on the inside, and he eventually ends up killing Nucky overtly on the Syndicate's behalf, but, really it's personal, and he just either walks away, or the story goes full circle, hence the flash backs, and Tommy becomes the new Nucky, and the story starts all over again

Guest John Hancock

Maybe I got overexcited by the last one, but I thought it was a step back. Everything just sort of plops to a halt and it's like "Oh... oh that's it? That's how it happens?". I don't really know what they're going to do with the finale. I felt like the Chalky/Van Alden episode just had so much more energy and wtfness coming out of it.

The flashbacks are weird too. It's almost like they're trying to push Gillian as the main force behind this entire show's entire storyline with only one episode left, and it comes across kinda awkwardly.

Busy Siegel has a good song about vaginas though, which pretty much saved the episode.