Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club - The Final FrontEar

Paul

King said to give it another go, so here we go. Lets get sign ups before Wednesday and then kick off. If we can. :)

1 - Paul

2 - King

3 - Laffy

4 - Gringles

Edited by Paul

Well here we go, first pick is Halestorm, from 2010 playing a Familiar Taste of Poison live on Jimmy Fallon...

I picked this because a) Lzzy gives a brilliant vocal performance b) Arejay is as usual magnificent on the drums and c) how weird is to see Selena Gomez watching Halestorm and then meeting them at the end? What?

Second choice is Corey Taylor, performing the Slipknot song Snuff by himself acoustically at the House of Blues in 2015...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJK4ohsbs5o

He has made this a staple of his live sets when touring solo and it is the song he always plays in memory of the sadly now passed Paul Gray of Slipknot. Everytime I have seen him play this song, whenever he gets to the second verse, it just gets him and the emotion just pours through a still clearly raw wound. I just find it beautiful and chilling personally having been a fan of the song in its original incarnation as well.

Firstly I have Pulp doing a live version of Babies, a personal favourite track.

Secondly Ricky Martin, Livin' La Vida Loca. DONT JUDGE ME. Its a bloody great pop track.:lol

Guest Laffy

My picks are:

The Osmonds Crazy Horses. This is my guilty pleasure I am totally addicted to this group and own almost all their cd's.

Celine Dion & Josh Groban Live "The Prayer" I love classical music and love Josh it seemed strange to me how these two got together and how weirdly it seems to work.

Paul

Pulp - Babies: This is probably my second favorite Pulp track after Underwear and it just highlights Cocker's ability as a songwriter and the twisted story telling that makes for great music. It's just a shame this version is cut short because the ending of the studio version builds into a wonderful climax both musically and storywise. Solid rendition up to then though but the lack of a final part knocks it down for me. 7/10

Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca: First off... how big a band do you need? Great actual stage performance and show with the dancers but his voice seems to be struggling a little bit live but then no one said Ricky Martin was a fantastic singer did they? It's a good pop song fair enough and it brings back memories of my childhood and 1999 when I was in year nine at school but whilst I don't actively hate the song, I don't really like it either... it's just there. 5/10

King

Bruce Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad: Modern American Folk, magnificently done, political commentary, story telling and a guitar duel between the Boss and Morello before Morello goes sh*tless at the end. Just bloody amazing, what you want from Rock 'n' Roll really. Interesting fact, Morello recorded this with Rage Against the Machine in 1997 but I prefer Springsteen's and this version more. 10/10 - That guitar solo tho!

Guns n Roses - November Rain: I liked the faithful playing of the outro to Layla as an intro, but the one thing that annoyed me about Velvet Revolver, Snake Pit and GnR gigs is that because this lot can't stay in a band for too long before breaking up, they never record enough material to fill a headlining slot and always have to resort to covers to pad it out. Still, was wonderfully done like most things Slash does on a guitar. Also damn King, you love yourself some long rock songs! Axl's voice has seen better days but then again drugs and alcohol you know... but Slash and the rest are pretty damn on point and they nail the climax of the song, again with Slash just making that guitar cry. It's not as good as it used to be but its still pretty damn good... 8/10

Laffy

The Osmonds - Crazy Horses: Sorry Laffy, the original is better for me. The arrangement just makes it a bit cheesy where as the original had that little bit of edginess, certainly for the time and the band that produced it. It's still a classic song in the history of American music but the band members age and the subsequent need to then faff with the tune has spoiled this version a little for me. 4/10. If it was the original studio version it would have been around 7/10 for me.

Celine Dion & Josh Groban - The Prayer: Ok so they are both brilliant live vocal artists. They are, for all the crap flung at both Groban and Dion they have fantastic voices and can smoke most people performance wise live... and Groban managed to spend a year and a bit in a relationship with Kat Dennings as well, so kudos dude. But for all their talent, I just don't like the type of music. It's well done, its a lovely musical arrangement, their voices by and large compliment each other... I just don't give a damn about the song. As a result it's just there for me again... I don't hate it I just can't bring myself to like it. 5/10

Gringo

Halestorm

Hauntingly beautiful performance. Just... perfect. Honestly perfect. 10/10 with ease.

Corey Taylor

I really am not a fan of Slipknot and expected to hate this. But its actually OK. The vocals are a lot better than I expected, in fact they're pretty good, and I'm a sucker for an acoustic performance. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan but I certainly enjoyed it. 7/10

King

Springsteen and Morello

Its starts off like the theme to Angel. :lol:

Anyhow, I do like a bit of folksy stuff. And this version keeps the feel while updating the sound, something that's always a difficult act. Then, however, the guitar solos start and the track loses me big style. I hate this sort of stuff (ironic for a fan of Marillion and Queen). 5/10

Guns N Roses

The eternal intro... fuck sake. Just get on with it already. I could decipher a Jayfunk post in the time this took to get cracking on.

Oh, here we go. Yeah, Axls voice is fucked, yet its still a better sound than a lot at their peak! Still a beautiful song isn't it, makes me smile as it takes me back to being a young teen. :) 7/10

Laffy

Osmonds

This is just kinda there. It felt like it was just starting to get really started and then BOOM, its done. Eh. 5/10

Celine Dion and Josh Groban

Well you cant fault the vocal performances. Though it does sound like what it is; an animated film song. Decent though, I admit I found myself swaying to it a bit. 6.5/10

Paul

Pulp - Babies:

I was a never a fan of Pulp, even the song Common People I hated, Jarvis and his crew just annoyed me.Sorry Paul not my cup of tea.......3/10

Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca

This is just a very good pop song.It's always on the radio and sounds really good live on that video.Yes it's cheesy as hell but it's suppose to be, puts you in a good mood listening to it......8/10

Gringo

Halestorm

Love this song Gringo, really enjoyed it.........9/10

Corey Taylor

Slipknot or Stone Sour, Corey Taylor rules.Great vocals on this and extremely emotional stuff........9/10

Laffy

The Osmonds - Crazy Horses: Sorry Laffy the only time I enjoyed the Osmands was a few weeks ago when one of them was on Masterchef :lol:

Sorry not for me...........3/10

Celine Dion & Josh Groban - The Prayer: I thought I would not like this but was surprised by it, not bad at all, now I doubt it will be going onto my iPod but still a good choice, well worth a listen......6/10

• Heart 1