Fan Clubs | beta

Interested in making your own video game?

Guest milyt g. planet

Guest milyt g. planet
For the past year or two, I've been putting serious time and effort into making my own video game. Prior to that, I was doing a lot of drawing and planning with serious thoughts about making my own game. It's a long process but it can be done. There's a documentary out called "Indie Game" that shows some of what indie game producers go through. Have you ever thought about making your own video game from the ground up? If you were going to make your own game, what would it be about?

I would love to have the skill and I've tried taking an online course, but I can't get the computer programming down. I found it extraordinarily difficult from the very beginning. Maybe I should try a different programming language. Which do you prefer?

Guest milyt g. planet

I'm still in the learning stages of coding, so I'm working on projects using programs that have visual scripting.

I've dabbled a bit with different coding languages and lessons, and so far, partly because I'm new to them, I prefer languages that are based on simple and/or lenient syntax because it's easier to find, correct, or avoid mistakes.

If a programming language is known for being able to do more, like if it's more powerful or doesn't have as many limits as other languages, I'm pretty sure I could get used to more rigid formatting.

Guest Weasley
That's so cool, @milyt g. planet. I wish I had those kinds of skills! No artistic talent whatsoever is definitely holding me back from even dreaming of making my own video game. That sounds like an interesting documentary though. That's going on my never-ending list of things I need to watch. What sort of game are you thinking of making?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest North

I will always remember the story of Stardew Valley's creator. He created the whole thing from scratch; the publisher helped with the technical details outside the game. It may be a long journey, but certainly possible. I respect you for that, milyt!

I love to play, but I don't think I'm creative enough to create one. I'm always up for more games which focus on the plot as much as the gameplay, which I think has been missing lately from some of the popular developers, but I know it's not an easy feat to pull.

Guest Revenger
I don't know how to create a game myself but I dream of a game where all the game genres are in that one game. WRPG, JRPG, Strategy, City-Building, and FPS in one awesome game. If someone can do that then I guess that person will become rich overnight.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Meerkat

I wish I can as I will recreate Marvel Avengers Assemble. I terribly missed that game because of the many combinations of heroes, skills, and weapons to defeat specific enemies.

On the other note, it seems like you can become rich by creating a game that many players will like.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest milyt g. planet
I don't know how to create a game myself but I dream of a game where all the game genres are in that one game. WRPG, JRPG, Strategy, City-Building, and FPS in one awesome game. If someone can do that then I guess that person will become rich overnight.

As hard as it might be to execute, it seems simple in theory. An FPS would be easy to integrate into a JRPG, as there have already been tons of JRPGs that have real time combat. If i'm not mistaken Dark Cloud was an action JRPG with city building elements. I'm not too familiar with what defines a WRPG, but Mass Effect and its dialog system comes to mind, a lore- and dialog-heavy shooter game.

Edited by milyt g. planet

Guest Revenger
Western RPG's are usually developed in European or American companies. In WRPG, you don't need a separate battle scene to fight your enemies. What I like about WRPG is that the action is seamless.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Grandmthethird

I made a game in RPG maker. Not really sure that counts. At the moment I’m learning to code. Wether I use that knowledge to make a game or not, I haven’t decided. I will probably do something, but probably more for my own fun of creating something than any commercial gain.

I think i’d like to make a turn based tactics game like Xcom or a rogue like (a real 1 that’s actually like rogue).