Fan Clubs | beta

Let's play some visual novels!

Guest chelsea45

Guest chelsea45

I am so chuffed about these games! Visual novels excel in providing options to decide how the story evolves, so it is normal to play them more than once and fully explore the story elements. Despite the overall cute graphical style, they may offer rich plot twists with genres varying from romance to horror. Most are released on the Steam platform, but some can be downloaded straight to the computer. Example: Doki Doki Literature Club

If you have any question about the visual novels, I will be happy to help.

Guest North

I don't mean to scare anyone, but I recently read an article about how some parents claimed that the visual novel you mentioned had caused two deaths of young children. Age restrictions should be imposed more strictly to avoid those incidents. Parents should also be more attentive.

What other genre or title would you recommend for beginners?

I am so chuffed about these games! Visual novels excel in providing options to decide how the story evolves, so it is normal to play them more than once and fully explore the story elements. Despite the overall cute graphical style, they may offer rich plot twists with genres varying from romance to horror. Most are released on the Steam platform, but some can be downloaded straight to the computer. Example: Doki Doki Literature Club

If you have any question about the visual novels, I will be happy to help.

Yeah, I have a question. That link you served up looks like something interesting to a child, yet they have that disclaimer at the bottom. When I think of literature, I don't think of animated characters that can cause an adult to come mentally unhinged. Am I not seeing the whole picture here becasue I didn't donate to the site?

I was picturing something more mature looking with the visual equivilent of writing the next chapter however you want. Is that too much to ask?

Guest The Wild Things

I've never heard of these before but the comments about how they might be dangerous for children intrigued me. This article highlights some of the things that might not be suitable for some people. It seems like age isn't the only restriction, according to the site at least.

I have a question for you, @chelsea45. That article I linked to said that the boy got texts from the girl characters in the middle of the night. Do they actually text your phone or what?

Guest chelsea45

@TynBox Most visual novels have that kind of "anime-style" illustrations which look like the cartoons we watched when we were little. It has nothing to do with the donations. I have not found a visual novel with more realistic images, but I will let you know when I find one.

@North and @The Wild Things I suppose I chose a controversial game to start with. The game's dark twists are certainly not for everyone, especially the young ones. The text messages are probably related to the Steam platform which provides a chat feature. It is risky because at times the game speaks to the player directly, but there is a certain charm in games or shows which try to break the fourth wall and succeed.

Hm, so these are basically like a combination of a Choose Your Own Adventure book and a video game? It sounds like your standard online RPG game to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

@TynBox Most visual novels have that kind of "anime-style" illustrations which look like the cartoons we watched when we were little. It has nothing to do with the donations. I have not found a visual novel with more realistic images, but I will let you know when I find one.

At the very least, make the animation more representative of the subject matter. If the story is in the horror genre with most scenes at night in rural settings, brightly colored Japanese anime girls with big eyes and short skirts is a juxtaposition that's just plain weird.

I think it's a pretty cool idea, but can we grow it up a little?

Guest The Wild Things

@chelsea45, a chat feature on Steam sounds way less risky than actual text messages. I'm actually downloading this now because I'm really intrigued from what I've read. It sounds stressful and sort of awful...but maybe in a good way? The reviews on Steam are overwhelmingly positive, at least.

@TynBox, I think I have to disagree with you here. There's something haunting about the juxtaposition of the genre and the bright, cheery art.

Guest chelsea45
At the very least, make the animation more representative of the subject matter. If the story is in the horror genre with most scenes at night in rural settings, brightly colored Japanese anime girls with big eyes and short skirts is a juxtaposition that's just plain weird.

I think it's a pretty cool idea, but can we grow it up a little?

They use some disturbing images when the horror twist begins, although the characters and other design stay the same. Like what @The Wild Things said, the cute style is possibly a twist itself. It may be a reflection of reality; what we see may hide many more things beneath the surface.

Good luck, The Wild Things. Please let me know how it goes.