Fan Clubs | beta

When do you think graphics will stop being an issue?

Guest milyt g. planet

Guest milyt g. planet

The other day I was reading an old PlayStation magazine from more than 10 years ago. There was an article that had several speculations for what gaming would be like in 10 years. Among these speculations was the (hopeful) prediction that graphics would no longer mean anything in 2016. Well, here we are in 2018 and graphics still mean something; console hardware specs still have a discernible impact on how good a game looks, many modern PC games can't run on normal computers, and in some cases polygons can still be seen and counted.

Artistry has always been a big part of what defines "good graphics", but we're still a long way from artistry being the lowest ceiling for how good a game looks. How long do you think it will be before hardware stops affecting games' graphics?

That sounds unreasonable really. For every step that graphics cards advance, game creators will push things that much further. The creative arts always advances; technology always advances. Isn't that how it works?

Guest Pumba
There was an article that had several speculations for what gaming would be like in 10 years. Among these speculations was the (hopeful) prediction that graphics would no longer mean anything in 2016.

The writer of the article might not be a gamer or a game developer and just a speculator. We will never come to a point where graphics is not an issue any longer. Virtual Reality is slowly changing how games are played and these games needed a high-performance graphics card.

It's probably almost permanently engrained in video game culture now. People who take console specs super seriously will buy into the hype of whatever new processor and power comes out in the next gen of systems and brag that their system of choice is 10% more powerful than the other one - even though there's not really any discernible difference to the eye.

I think that the only time we'll finally get past it is when graphics truly hit life-like display during gameplay, both for console and VR. Once they hit that point, then it won't be about graphics anymore, but rather about (hopefully) story and gameplay.

That sounds unreasonable really. For every step that graphics cards advance, game creators will push things that much further. The creative arts always advances; technology always advances. Isn't that how it works?

I agree with this. There's also no reason for them to say, "Now is a good time to stop." They need the competitive edge over their competition and need to give gamers reasons to continue to buy new systems in order to play new games.

Graphics will stop being an issue the day that a hand reaches out of the screen and takes control of the control.

You can't get more real than that. :omg:

I actually like the fact that it's a competitive thing. Competition brings out the best in us all.

Graphics will stop being an issue the day that a hand reaches out of the screen and takes control of the control.

You can't get more real than that. :omg:

I actually like the fact that it's a competitive thing. Competition brings out the best in us all.

You really can't get more real than that. The day that happens is the day I stop buying video games.

Competition does bring out the best in us. Well, it at least helps us deliver our best work.

Even if graphics reached their "max potential" (I don't even know if that's a thing), it's also about presentation. Just look at movies. Some people like movies that are more aesthetically realistic, others like movies like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and some prefer anime. If everyone wanted the same thing then graphics could eventually not be part of the equation. That's just not the case though.