Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

Stephen King, What Can You Say About His Stories?

Guest Revenger

Guest Revenger
I'm currently following the TV series Castle Rock and Mr. Mercedes. These shows were derived from the books or stories of Stephen King. I'm not totally a fan of him, but I like these shows. How about you?

I bet everybody knows his name, though I don't actively read his works or look for the adaptations of his books. Maybe that's because I am not a fan of horror stories. What do you like about those titles?

Guest Revenger
I like the thrill and the mystery in those shows. I'm not a fan of horror movies, but these shows are different because they showcase the supernatural and the unknown, which make them interesting to me.

Guest Revenger
Thank you, Salome. I will look into that show. The thrill of understanding the unknown makes me alive when watching these type of shows. I haven't read the books yet. Do the TV adaptations portray exactly how the books were written?

Guest HighlyLogical

I used to read Stephen King, but I stopped many years ago. Sometimes I found his books to be not to my exact taste, and I would always struggle to finish them to the end. One experience that probably made me stop reading his books is that I was reading Misery, I only had about 3 or 4 pages to go, and wouldn't you know, I accidentally left the book on public transportation. That same experience had happened other times too, not the whole leaving the book on the train, but just something happening where I didn't finish the book. I kind of just stopped reading his stuff after awhile.

I haven't watched the shows that you are talking about here. I like mystery shows, but nothing too thrilling, if that makes sense. I like to relax and enjoy what I'm watching, otherwise I get too excited. I'm that person who yells at the TV, and paces the floor, and talks to the screen asking the people why they're doing something so stupid. I get way too into it, so most of the time I tend to (try to) watch things that calm me down. :)

Guest Incredible Iron
I'm that person who yells at the TV, and paces the floor, and talks to the screen asking the people why they're doing something so stupid.

This means that the show creators were successful in letting the audience become part of the show. Speaking of people doing stupid things, why is it that actors/actresses always, I mean "always", trip when a ghost, a zombie, or a serial killer is chasing them?

Guest HighlyLogical
This means that the show creators were successful in letting the audience become part of the show. Speaking of people doing stupid things, why is it that actors/actresses always, I mean "always", trip when a ghost, a zombie, or a serial killer is chasing them?

Yes, you're right about the creators being successful in letting the audience become a part of the show. I'm that person people hate to watch movies with, unless of course they're like me, and in that case we're both screaming and yelling at the screen.:lol:

I'm not mad at myself about his particular trait though. I like that I'm able to get fully immersed in a movie, it makes things interesting... exhausting, but interesting.

And you are so right about the person always tripping when they see a ghost, or zombie, but to be honest, I can kind of understand that because sometimes if you're really scared, your faculties abandon you. You might need to scream, but you can't. You might need to run, but your legs turn to Jell-O. It's interesting how that happens, but yeah, I can understand it. All I can guess is that some of the people making these horror flicks have personally been in certain situations and have experienced first hand how sometimes the body can seem to turn on you when you're really frightened? Bottom line, I'll somewhat give them a pass on the tripping and falling.

The stupid thing that irks me that characters seem to always do is when they turn their back on the killer after they have hit him once, or shot him once, or whatever. That part really irks me! And they never seem to make sure the villain is dead! It's like, come on! Really?

I watched a movie a few weeks ago where some crazy broad had killed up half of her neighborhood, and had just attacked another neighbor. The neighbor got the best of the crazy lady and hit her with something. Then the neighbor proceeds to grab her cell phone to call someone to tell them what happened, and of course she turned her back on the crazy lady who was laying on the floor 'dead', only to have the lady come back to life and hit the woman who was on the phone from behind. It's like, come on people, it's 2018. Are we really still writing plots where people are turning their backs on the bad guy while trying to use the phone to call for help? Ugh. That's just gets me so annoyed. it's like, where is the creativity? Can't we think of other ways to do things?

Thank you, Salome. I will look into that show. The thrill of understanding the unknown makes me alive when watching these type of shows. I haven't read the books yet. Do the TV adaptations portray exactly how the books were written?

Mostly. Mr. Mercedes is skipping past the second book (and taking more of the third) in the Bill Hodges trilogy for this new season, but 11/22/63 was pretty close to the book, as I recall.

Guest Revenger

The stupid thing that irks me that characters seem to always do is when they turn their back on the killer after they have hit him once, or shot him once, or whatever.

We are watching too many shows or movies that we become like what we are watching. On the other hand, when we don't have the will to kill then we won't kill even though the person in front of us is a killer. I understand you though that the lady you mentioned should at least tied the hands and feet of the crazy woman before calling for help.

Guest HighlyLogical
We are watching too many shows or movies that we become like what we are watching. On the other hand, when we don't have the will to kill then we won't kill even though the person in front of us is a killer. I understand you though that the lady you mentioned should at least tied the hands and feet of the crazy woman before calling for help.

Tie the hands and feet! Exactly. Or at least shoot her once in each leg, or once in one leg if you feel like shooting her in both legs is excessive. Or if there's no gun available, stab her in one of her feet or something. Ugh!

Just writing about this has made my blood pressure go up a little bit... I think I'm waaaaay too into movies.

As far as the will to kill, if someone is trying to kill the character and the character doesn't have the will to kill at that time, then I don't know what to say. There's not much hope for that character if they are not willing to kill in order to save their own life, my goodness! Whew, I'm getting all worked up. :lol:

Guest Revenger

Don't get too serious about this, or you might do something stupid. :dumb:

I feel you though because people becomes illogical when they are afraid of something. Fear can make our body stiff or make our brain stagnant that we cannot think properly about what to do.