Fan Clubs | beta

How to choose a movie to watch

didge

Film reviews are a good way to determine which movies to watch. Getting a snippet of the plot can help you make a judgement about the overall quality. Review aggregators (like rotten tomatoes and so on) collect reviews from different sources too. Which other methods can be of help?

I usually look who is in it. If I like other movies they have done then I’ll watch it

Ditto. Actors are my main indicators whether I will watch a TV show or a movie. Tom Hanks is at the top of my list so if he is the actor or a producer of a film then I will definitely watch it.

Guest Cherry-Chan
I'm not really that bothered about who is in it. it's the subject matter, the plot, the genre, the script and the location that is of interest to me. I tend to look at the reviews in the newspapers, or go on which films friends are talking about.

Guest Revenger
I rely on word-of-mouth reviews, especially from friends with similar likes. I sometimes look at the preview to see whether I will like it or not, but there were a few times that I was disappointed with the main movie because the trailer was just a bait.

I rely on word-of-mouth reviews, especially from friends with similar likes. I sometimes look at the preview to see whether I will like it or not, but there were a few times that I was disappointed with the main movie because the trailer was just a bait.

Same here but I don't rely on just one method all the time. Overall, ratings play a huge part in helping us making that decision but overall, we have that one producer, actor or actress that we fancy. I used to love movies directed by JJ Abrams.

• Heart 1

Guest AmyRichmond

It isn't so much the choice of which movie to see, but finding a movie going friend who actually wants to see the same thing! I have a friend who only wants to see children's movies, but I would rather see grown up films. I have a friend that I meet often that never wants to go to the cinema at all. My boyfriend will only go to see a film if it has an absolutely perfect review - which most films don't.

I might just as well go to the cinema on my own, since it seems to be so hard for two people to actually want to see the same film.

It isn't so much the choice of which movie to see, but finding a movie going friend who actually wants to see the same thing! I have a friend who only wants to see children's movies, but I would rather see grown up films. I have a friend that I meet often that never wants to go to the cinema at all. My boyfriend will only go to see a film if it has an absolutely perfect review - which most films don't.

I might just as well go to the cinema on my own, since it seems to be so hard for two people to actually want to see the same film.

I used to find it so hard and awkward to go to the cinema on my own until I appreciated the simple fact that different people love to watch different genres. It is one thing to settle on a movie and it is quite another to find a companion to watch it with.

I tend to rely on the cast as an indicator of how good a movie is. However, it also has to be a genre that I like. If it is not my kind of movie, I will not watch it regardless of who is in it.