Fan Clubs | beta

Criticizing Critics

Guest Incredible Iron

Guest Incredible Iron
Many of the movie and television show critics are so negative when they review a film or a show. They are quick to find all the small flaws and mistakes that the actors or writers did in the flick. How can we determine which critic to believe because sometimes we rely on the reviews whether to watch a movie or a TV show?

I think it is best to compare a few reviews before taking a decision ourselves. Since reviews still have subjective elements, different opinions are natural. When three writers talk about the same flaws or strengths, what they claim may really be the truth. Then again, sometimes you may also like what most people don't.

Guest Incredible Iron
I believe you are right. We may have a different perspective on a movie even when most reviewers agree on one thing. It is also their right to think whatever they are writing because this is a subjective issue as you have mentioned.

Critics will always have something to say about a movie or film but that has never discouraged me from watching what I need to watch. I always prefer to rely on ratings rather than the actual reviews.

As much as I'm often skeptical about reviews, I still prefer those over the numbers and ratings. I like to see the arguments behind the scores because that's how I decide if the concerns are valid or if there are other things about the movie that I should avoid. I'm not saying the ratings are invalid, but it's easier to spam the stars than write a review.

Many of the movie and television show critics are so negative when they review a film or a show. They are quick to find all the small flaws and mistakes that the actors or writers did in the flick. How can we determine which critic to believe because sometimes we rely on the reviews whether to watch a movie or a TV show?

Come to think of it, if we believed everything the critics said, would it make sense to watch anything out here? There will always be flaws and imperfections but that should always be the decision to be made by the viewer. It would be unfair for a viewer to take these critics so seriously, then end up not watching a movie in question.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Incredible Iron
Critics will always have something to say about a movie or film but that has never discouraged me from watching what I need to watch. I always prefer to rely on ratings rather than the actual reviews.

On the other hand, most of the ratings are given by the critics. Just go to IMDB and you can see there that the critics' score adds up to the rating of the movie. I agree with you that critics should not discourage us from watching a movie. It may even encourage us to watch it because we wanted to know why that critic said this and that about the movie.

On the other hand, most of the ratings are given by the critics. Just go to IMDB and you can see there that the critics' score adds up to the rating of the movie. I agree with you that critics should not discourage us from watching a movie. It may even encourage us to watch it because we wanted to know why that critic said this and that about the movie.

Very true @Incredible Iron. For instance, have you ever selected a movie to watch based on these ratings then ended up not liking it and vice versa? At times, it helps to have a glance at the plot summary and cast plus we all have a bias for different genres, right?