Fan Clubs | beta

Future Game Consoles - Smartphones

Guest Incredible Iron

Guest Incredible Iron
I believe that smartphones will become the mainstream game consoles in the future. PC, Xbox, PS, and other game consoles will become obsolete when smartphones and tablets become powerful to play games that were once played on game consoles.

Guest Mecha Jaraxxus
Nah, I don't think so. Smartphones are too small. It's pretty hard to get immersed in the game world when you can hardly see what's going on! Smartphones are good for casual games like Candy Crush or whatever but as for a real game... no way!

Guest Revenger
I am neutral on this subject. I would say there will still be game consoles and they are having a come back due to the innovations of better TV screens and projectors. Smartphones, however, will continue to gain more gamers, but not necessarily dominate the game console race.

Guest whothe_h_isshane
I agree with @Mecha Jaraxxus , the screen of a mobile phone is too small. I like playing certain games on my phone, but for the full experience, most games need to be played on a big screen.

Guest Incredible Iron
The screen might be small for smartphones, but this problem will be resolved with the enhancement of virtual reality gears. I think the portability of playing through a smartphone will beat any game console that needed a screen.

Guest Pumba
The smartphones "may" become one of the main contenders for game consoles, but I don't think that it will take the lead. Gamers will still prefer bigger screens for them to feel immersed in the game.

There are some services that offer you the ability to connect your smartphone to a controller and use a cloud service to play games using your smartphone's screen and the controller while the servers handle all the processing work the game requires.

I think that could possibly catch on if it's executed well. The screen may be smaller than a TV, but I bet people would love to be able to whip out their games on their lunch break and play Call of Duty or whatever the heck.

VR headsets will keep getting better, but those are clunky because you do have to wear something in order for it to work, so I don't know if that'll truly catch on, even if it's solid technology.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pumba
The VR headsets do need a little more touch of finesse. A day will come that these headsets will truly change the way we play video games. When that day comes, then smartphones may truly become a real contender for video gaming.

Guest Chuckyy
I'm not sure about smartphones overtaking consoles, but they're probably going to become a more viable platform. Things like Google Cardboard use smartphones in creative ways to let people experience a certain level of VR. If you use a smartphone to have a VR experience, that negates the immersive world concern.