Fan Clubs | beta

The distinction between a director and producer

jack25

I have come across people who use these terms interchangeably. Are there instances where one person fits into both roles?

From what I know, a director is more involved with giving direction to the cast and crew as well as film editing. The producer handles the production, finances, marketing and distribution.

Steven Spielberg is often both the director and the producer of a movie. In my understanding, the producer is the one who supplies the money for the movie project so he or she can have a say on what goes on the movie. The director's role, again in my own opinion, directs the actors to how the director interprets the story. Edited by Pumba

• 2 weeks later...
J.J. Abrahms can do both.

My favorite film maker, Christopher Nolan, very oftentimes does Writing/Directing/Producing. I believe all of the movies he's written, he's also directed and produced.

J.J Abrams happens to be a genius and I am not surprised that he can do both, in addition to being a screenwriter as well. The TV shoes I loved most were Lost and Fringe.

Guest whothe_h_isshane
That's actually interesting. I've never used them interchangeably because I know that the director is the one that is on the set at all times directing the actors and stuff, but I never really understood the role of a producer.

Fringe was soooooo good! I loved Walter and Peter Bishop so much.

At times I look back and desire to watch it again. I loved Walter, Peter Bishop, Olivia and Philip Broyles (the no-nonesense chap). We don't see a lot of these TV shows nowadays or am I just not looking in the right places?

• 2 weeks later...
I think to a certain point, there's only so many "themes" you can do. With fiction writing having existed since people began writing stuff down, how many unique original new themes are left to do? I think it's more about how well the shows are written and executed, as well as how effective the actors are.