Fan Clubs | beta

The use of VAR in major leagues

lymmo

The system is already being used in the Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga. It will just be a matter of time before other top leagues adopt this mechanism. VAR will probably ensure fairness and reduce referring errors but overall, do you get the feeling that it tends to halt the flow of the game? Football (just like any kind of sport) has both physical and mental aspects.

In my opinion, the use of VAR is long overdue. You watch football matches and get appalled at the decisions taken by some referees. This technology will ensure fair play and I don't think the slight disruption will affect the game in any way.

Guest Castle
I support the use of VAR. Although it disrupts the flow of the game, it adds an aspect of suspense which is quite interesting to watch. Furthermore, VAR will ensure more fairness in the games.

I also agree that the use of VAR is long overdue. Neil Warnock (Cardiff City manager) in his post-match interview, felt that the referee had erroneously let an invalid goal stand. There was a lot of uproar after Chelaea’s first goal was (apparently) scored from an offside position.

• 4 weeks later...
We're not talking about Value At Risk, are we? One could make the argument.................

I think it's a great idea as long as the technology behind it remains superior.

I had to look up what Value At Risk means and I must admit that I had a completely different meaning in my head. The only downside of the Video Assistant Referee (IMO) is that it tends to slow the pace and rhythm of the game. On the other hand, it increases fairness and transparency.

Without it's use in the Champions League, Manchester City would probably have advanced to the competition's semi final stage!

I had to look up what Value At Risk means and I must admit that I had a completely different meaning in my head. The only downside of the Video Assistant Referee (IMO) is that it tends to slow the pace and rhythm of the game. On the other hand, it increases fairness and transparency.

Without it's use in the Champions League, Manchester City would probably have advanced to the competition's semi final stage!

Which is why I think VAR is a good addition. The best team should be awarded that title based on skill and not the fact that they can cheat better.

As Greylien states above the stakes are so high in this day and age we’re talking about astronomic sums of money and as it stands this enthralling Premier League title race could come down to some tight rack of the eye offside desicion and that would be a dreadful way for it to end.

The Premier League however have probably gone about it the correct way allowing the other European leagues sort of iron out the issues before they really implement it.

The drama at the Etihad the other night was fantastic tv and thanks to the technology at the stadium it wasn’t really that confusing for fans who were attending the game. But if you happen to be at a stadium that maybe isn’t quite as luxurious then it can maybe a issue, and it’s really important that you don’t confuse the fans who are in the ground.

The stakes are definitely higher and yes there shouldn't be any room for error. I actually recall an instance when the wrong player was awarded a red card. The referee could hear none of the pleas from the player who had committed the foul. If implemented correctly, VAR will improve the game.