Fan Clubs | beta

How To Stop Playing?

Guest Pumba

Guest Pumba
There were many games that I played wherein I couldn't help myself from stopping so I could get sleep. How do you stop yourself from playing a game in order to do something else?

Guest RegentLennox
I usually get so sleepy that I have no problem stopping whatever it is I'm doing in order to get some sleep. Sometimes just getting to my room is a challenge.

Guest Incredible Iron
Coleman is correct. Old age will force us to go to sleep when our body is already tired. I can stay awake for 2 days when I was in college, but I can't do that at my age.

Guest Meerkat
Parents can be very persuasive and annoying at times, but they can stop me from playing a video game when I was still living under their roof. Spouses who are not gamers could also stop us from playing a video game.

Guest Pumba
The problem with me is that when I'm playing a game that I really like then I'm really immersed in the game. Our boy is the one that tells me to sleep because he needed someone to read him his bedtime stories.

Guest Mecha Jaraxxus
When I realize several hours have passed, I force myself to switch the game off. If I stay up too late messing about on games it ruins the whole next day for me so I remind myself of that when I get the urge to keep playing.

Guest browncoat

I remember an old friend laughing at a few of us for being incredibly tired as we finally woke up at 2 or 3 in the afternoon on a Saturday after a very long gaming session the night before. He always logged off at a reasonable time around midnight or 1am. He would say that he liked the peace and quiet in the household when he would get up around 7am with no kids or his spouse up yet and would use those few hours to game. At the time I thought he was just covering up the fact that he had a hard time functioning without a good amount of sleep, but now that I have kids I must say I think about it every time I get up at 7am and game for a few hours before the kids get up. It really is a peaceful time of the day! :)

So, my advice is, give it a shot by forcing yourself to go to sleep (take melatonin if you really have a hard time sleeping early) at a reasonable time and see if you enjoy gaming in the morning. If, like me, you find out that you actually do enjoy it that might just be enough to break the habit for you. A lot of things are different in online games in the early morning. Prices are different on the auction houses, hard to farm areas aren't as overpopulated, a different set of people are online to interact with which can lead to friendships and being included in different raids or other activities, etc.

• 1 month later...
Guest Pumba
Hey there browncoat. Your suggestion is what I was doing already. I force myself to sleep and wake up at around 5 AM to play my games. It is peaceful and quiet, although I'm rushing my games on weekdays because I need to prepare for work after playing my games.

Guest browncoat
Hey there browncoat. Your suggestion is what I was doing already. I force myself to sleep and wake up at around 5 AM to play my games. It is peaceful and quiet, although I'm rushing my games on weekdays because I need to prepare for work after playing my games.

Would taking a nap after work to buy you a few hours at night to play help out then? Might let you sleep in a little bit on the weekdays and still get more done overall without sacrificing too much sleep.

Guest Meerkat
Sleeping during work hours, I like that if that is possible. I would like to suggest writing down your priorities. Gaming is good so long as it doesn't take the majority of the waking hours we have, as well as our sleeping hours.