Fan Clubs | beta

Disney vs Sony on Spider-Man

Guest North

I don't want to see Spider-Man die because of this fight. I like the way Spider-Man is being handled so far, whether as a part of MCU or not. Far From Home was fun, and it has so many promises in the future. But now there's a probability that we won't get any of it after being teased this far!

Who do you think should've calmed down and opened up to the other side?

Sony's shown they're capable of making good Spider Man movies in the past, and the new Into The Spider-Verse is actually all Sony as well.

However, it comes across as pretty crappy of them to allow Disney to revitalize their Spider-Man franchise with their creative writing, then say "lol thanks bye" when Disney understandably asks for a more even split (They wanted 50/50). It seems awfully short sighted of Sony and also really drives home the point that they don't care about what the fans want, they just want all those profits 100% for themselves, even if it's less than what they would've made if they just stuck with Disney.

Guest Incredible Iron
Time will tell whether Spider-Man will remain a thing in the theaters. In my opinion, Sony will eventually sell the rights to Disney once the executives find it hard to maintain this character in the movies. If Sony is after the money, then Disney should just offer a good amount of money for Sony to release the spider from their web, so to speak.

Guest Meerkat
The Spider-Man franchise is like the Batman franchise. They both have their high-notes and off tunes. Executives don't determine the success of a movie unless they control every bit of the action, the story, and the direction of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony's shown they're capable of making good Spider Man movies in the past, and the new Into The Spider-Verse is actually all Sony as well.

However, it comes across as pretty crappy of them to allow Disney to revitalize their Spider-Man franchise with their creative writing, then say "lol thanks bye" when Disney understandably asks for a more even split (They wanted 50/50). It seems awfully short sighted of Sony and also really drives home the point that they don't care about what the fans want, they just want all those profits 100% for themselves, even if it's less than what they would've made if they just stuck with Disney.

I didn't follow Into The Spider-Verse, but I had heard of positive comments about it. As a viewer, it's great to see two big names working on a franchise as old and important like Spider-Man. I thought about the promising longevity of the series if they keep up this style. Wouldn't it benefit everyone that way? It feels like a slap when I realize that it's still about money at the end of the day.

Disney probably wouldn't care either way; MCU can go on without Spider-Man, though I already see him as the perfect successor to Iron Man.

MCU can go on, but it's gonna result in both franchises dealing with this weird fallout of the deal resulting in everything in the past being unable to be mentioned due to copyright/licensing issues, yet they're going to have to move forward building off of that past. It's gonna be weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the copyright issue going to prevent even the mention of the characters? If these two can't find the middle ground, I hope that at least the MCU team gets to send off Spider-Man from their universe in a graceful way. That won't be possible if they can't even mention his name without paying stuff to Sony.

Then again, it probably won't be an issue as long as the new superhero group doesn't have a movie together (like The Avengers), but that sounds impossible.

Yea it would mess that up. Basically Disney-Marvel movies would be 100% unable to reference Spider Man or any character primarily tied to his stories (Like Venom, Mary Jane, Norman Osborne, etc).

For Sony's Spider-Man, they'd be unable to reference Iron Man and Marvel stuff in entirety, BUT they could get away with something like airing footage of Iron Man flying alongside Parker in their special suits because that footage comes from Spider-Man Homecoming, and while they may not have rights to say Iron Man's name, they can show footage because it's from a movie they have rights to. But otherwise, they couldn't mention Nick Fury or the Avengers or even directly reference The Snap anymore, so I dunno how they'd handle it moving forward.

I think we'll end up with an agreement back in place before we get to the next Spider-Man movie.

Good news everyone, we're back in business. Sony and Disney reached a new deal, though the details of that deal have not been released.

So Spider Man 3 will be a MCU movie, and Spider Man is currently scheduled to be in another non-Spider Man MCU movie. Maybe Avengers, or something else who knows. I'd also bet on Venom being added to the MCU at some point.

Good news everyone, we're back in business. Sony and Disney reached a new deal, though the details of that deal have not been released.

So Spider Man 3 will be a MCU movie, and Spider Man is currently scheduled to be in another non-Spider Man MCU movie. Maybe Avengers, or something else who knows. I'd also bet on Venom being added to the MCU at some point.

Yes! I saw that a while back and I wanted to share it here, but I didn't have the time to do that. Apparently, we will get the third movie by 2021. That's still far in the future, but at least it's something to look forward to.

What do you think happened behind the scenes for them to come to that decision?

It's all about money, but I have hope that both companies are thinking of fans as well as profits. It's probably a lot easier for both of them to make money from Spider-Man by working together at this point, rather than not.

I understand that the entertainment industry is all about the profits, so if those companies can at least consider us and the beauty of their creations a little, I guess I can't complain. I read rumors about Tom Holland worked hard helping the negotiation of both sides. If it's true, that's kind of adorable.