Fan Clubs (beta)

Walking Dead - Season 8 *USA Pace*

Guest TalksAlot

Well I wasn't expecting that!

From Digital Spy - episode 9 spoilers:

...And, while he's not dead yet, Riggs has since confirmed Carl definitely will die – and his final moments will be screened in episode 809 when the show returns in the new year.

The actor also revealed he never expected Carl to get killed off and leaving was not his decision. SOB.

"Leaving Walking Dead wasn't my decision," Riggs told The Hollywood Reporter. "It was all story related. It made sense story-wise for it to happen for Rick and Michonne and all the other characters."

"I didn't expect for Carl to ever get killed off but it serves a good purpose in the story."

Riggs added: "There's still a little more left in Carl's story, and that impacts Rick, Michonne and everyone. Although Carl's story is coming to an end it's not over yet."

"Episode 809 is really Carl trying to teach Rick as much as he can about what he's learned and trying to convince Rick to not kill every single Savior because there's still good people out there.

"The Alexandrians, the Hilltop and the Kingdom — all those people probably see him as a villain like the Saviors. There's some humanitarian aspects that Carl is going to try and teach Rick in his final moments. "

Apparently his dad was angry over it and posted a rant on Facebook, the below is courtesy of Hollywood Reporter:

Given the magnitude of the twist, it's no surprise that many Walking Dead fans are upset about the looming departure of Carl Grimes, the young survivor played since season one by Chandler Riggs — and that list includes Riggs' own father, who took to social media to express his disappointment in Walking Dead showrunner Scott M. Gimple over how his son's exit was handled.

"Watching Gimple fire my son 2 weeks before his 18th birthday after telling him they wanted him for the next 3 years was disappointing," Riggs' father wrote on Facebook following the AMC zombie drama's midseason finale, in which Carl was revealed to be suffering from a fatal zombie bite. "I never trusted Gimple or AMC, but Chandler did. I know how much it hurt him. But we do absolutely know how lucky we have been to be a part of it all and appreciate all the love from fans all these years!"

I've seen some comments online about how Chandler only chose to go to Georgia uni so he would be close for filming, apparently he just purchased a house there as well...

I've seen some theories that this might be a red herring and Carl will survive somehow (Game of Thrones have done it in the past) - I'm not too sure. I think they will kill him off. I feel he deserved a better death, the bite was off screen and from a normal walker, it feels a little rushed. It's as if they wanted a surprise/shock in the mid season finale and they just went with that.

I still don't understand the point of the garbage people.

The first 8 episodes only covers 2 days I think but the amount of Saviors Ricks crew killed, I find it surprising that Negan managed to re-group and act on his revenge so quickly. I really hope the remainder of season 8 isn't the same old stuff we've seen from the last season and this one.

Oh and I've just about had enough of Eugene, I'm sick of his inner turmoil.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know what scene it was meant to be from, it's just we never actually saw the bite happen. I know some people loved the reveal but I didn't.

I guess it's all to do with this season's timeline being all screwy - which I think has been pretty awful. I'm assuming the scene we saw at the start of episode 8 with Carl walking with Rick is from episode 9 before he dies, it looked like he was giving Rick advice?

I've seen some theories that this might be a red herring and Carl will survive somehow (Game of Thrones have done it in the past) - I'm not too sure. I think they will kill him off. I feel he deserved a better death, the bite was off screen and from a normal walker, it feels a little rushed. It's as if they wanted a surprise/shock in the mid season finale and they just went with that.

I still don't understand the point of the garbage people.

The first 8 episodes only covers 2 days I think but the amount of Saviors Ricks crew killed, I find it surprising that Negan managed to re-group and act on his revenge so quickly. I really hope the remainder of season 8 isn't the same old stuff we've seen from the last season and this one.

Oh and I've just about had enough of Eugene, I'm sick of his inner turmoil.

This. All of this. Riggs' comment aside, there is no way for Carl to survive with the current knowledge we have of the universe. Unless they introduce a new rule, e.g. someone is immune to the change for a reason they need to find. I also don't buy the reason to kill Carl to introduce a different approach to Rick. I think it's possible to do it differently without killing someone so vital and potential for growth. They wanted to shock us and they succeeded in a bad way.

People say this death completely separates the TV series from the comics. Where do you think the series will go from here on?

Carl plays a big part in the comic but the comic and the show don't always go the same way. I like Carl and think that the show won't be the same without him. All the leaks could be a big media stunt, he may survive after all.

• 3 months later...
Guest North

Any thoughts now that we are on our way to the final episode of season 8?

I hope we get some decent action for the last episode as Negan said. Carl's letter is nice but a bit too idealistic given the current setup. I'm also still hoping for an explanation for the vision of Rick against a tree with stained glass. Or is that meant keep us hooked for the next season?

I really don't want Negan to die. More and more, I find myself thinking I'd probably side with Negan instead of Rick. I mean when this whole Saviors story started, they were portrayed as jerkwads taking advantage of people. And to some extent, that's part of their group - But as we've grown to know Negan (especially in season 8), more and more I feel that his rule is hard because he has to keep people who are crazy like Simon under control. But it seems like he legit does want to save people and keep them safe.

And I think the confrontation only got so bad as it did, because it started off bad. Rick and crew attacked the Saviors first. If they'd simply been found or encountered each other, maybe it would've still led to a conflict, but I dunno if it'd have been as dramatic or painful as it was when they first met Negan and he killed Glenn and Abraham.

I hope we do find out what the hell that Rick vision is all about. I'm wondering if Rick's gonna die.

I thought the finale was awful...luckily I wasn't expecting much.

No big battle, no deaths - all over in about 5 mins. So Rick slit Negan's throat but knew Negan would be fine? Even after all that blood loss. Once again it almost feels like they want us to feel sorry for Negan, I didn't think Carl's utopia included Negan locked in a cell for the rest of his life.

That scene with Daryl, Maggie and Jesus?! :rolleye2: I could understand Maggie being angry with the decision to keep Negan alive but would the other 2 really be plotting against Rick and Michonne?

Kevin has his review up of the finale HERE - pretty much agree with him on it.

I loved the finale, mainly because I got what I wanted - That is, I wanted Negan to survive. If the series was ending, I'd have wanted Negan and the Saviors to wipe out Rick and company. But since it's not ending, we know that wouldn't happen - Negan surviving makes me happy, and Rick & crew taking over for the Saviors makes sense, much like when they took in the Governor's people.

As for Rick slicing Negan's throat, that was just one more example of Rick being a vengeful asshole. Just like in the bar with the escaped Saviors, he talks about peace and a road to community, and Negan gave him a few seconds to talk it out, and Negan paused at the end. HE PAUSED and looked at Rick like he was seriously considering it, and then Rick delivered what would've been a fatal blow IF he hadn't of had the new doctor there.

And speaking on that, that cut wasn't very deep compared to other throat slices we've seen. Plus I think he got him in an area slightly higher than normal, which is why I think it was possible to save Negan. I also think that Rick didn't go into that confrontation with the intention to save Negan. I truly believe he had nothing on his mind but revenge, and when he finally got it, that weight was lifted and Carl's words/legacy got through to him and he decided to honor his son's memory by attempting to build the future he imagined.

Obviously Carl didn't imagine a world with Negan locked up forever in it, but realistically speaking, it has to be that way for at least a certain amount of time. Negan can't be trusted yet, there's too much bad blood. They gotta make him pay for his sins for awhile, and eventually there's gonna come a point where they need all hands on deck and Negan's gonna agree to help for self-preservation OR they're gonna have plenty of good talks along the way to slowly bring him over to their side and he's gonna escape but willingly stay to help and turn over a new leaf.

I look forward to that.

Was happy Dwight got what he got - Makes sense to send him riding off in to the sunset. All he wanted was Negan taken down, and then to find his wife. It seems like he will.

Glad Eugene came back around, I love him so much. Every time he opens his mouth I love it. His vocabulary and speech is just fantastic.

Morgan needs some time to get right, though him saying "People are everything" and then following it up with "I'm staying, I just can't" kind've undermines that whole sentiment. Should've said "I can't, not yet". At least that would've made more sense. Feels like a repeat of the Carol storyline, honestly, just with a bit more crazy mixed in.

No major characters dying was real surprising, but given the way things went down, it made sense. After all, Eugene sabotaged the bullets. Saviors couldn't kill anyone.

As for the Maggie/Jesus/Darryl alliance, I'm reserving judgment on that. I thought Maggie had gotten past the whole "single-minded revenge" craze a couple episodes ago after the Saviors attacked the Hilltop on Simon's command, seemed like they wanted to hammer in the point that she was a real leader who cared about the people and not so much about her own agenda and she seemed to take it to heart. But now, maybe not. I mean, I do get it, having your husband and father of your child murdered brutally right in front of you is a pretty solid reason to want to see Negan dead. I think Jesus had gone on his own solo mission to kill Negan or at least scout the Saviors awhile back to get intel that could lead to Negan's demise. Also keep in mind, Jesus has shown his loyalty lies with Maggie above all else. Yea he likes Rick and everyone else, but Maggie's the one who he's really gotten to know and bond with and she's proven to be a very good leader as well, Jesus may have played the role of her conscious earlier on, but ultimately I think he's gonna do what she wants...and of course, Darryl wants to kill him after being held captive and while he let Dwight go, he only did that cause Dwight earned that reprieve by turning on Negan. He still threatened to kill him if he ever came back. Darryl doesn't let stuff go.

My main question is what direction this will go - Is this simply Maggie and company planning to find a way to kill Negan without hurting anyone else and proving Rick/Michonne wrong, or are they suddenly enemies now? Cause I can understand wanting to go in and kill Negan but not want to hurt anyone else. But if they are all like "Screw Rick he's gotta die" then I'm gonna be a bit perplexed.

Edited by Zack T

Guest North

I'm trying to understand why the ending lacked an emotional punch. I guess it was because the reasons I saw didn't convince me enough. Carl's wish is not bad, but why so sudden near his death? Rick probably wanted to honor Carl, but what about himself? Why did Negan appreciate Carl so much? Too many why, but not enough answer.

My main question is what direction this will go - Is this simply Maggie and company planning to find a way to kill Negan without hurting anyone else and proving Rick/Michonne wrong, or are they suddenly enemies now? Cause I can understand wanting to go in and kill Negan but not want to hurt anyone else. But if they are all like "Screw Rick he's gotta die" then I'm gonna be a bit perplexed.

If that's the track they will follow, I hope to see the trio disagree with Rick's future decisions for some good reasons (not just blatant hate). I think there are enough grey areas in Rick's decisions so far to create something like that. But given what I write above, I will try not to hope for anything.