Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  19 members  ·  Free

Anime

Anime films

Guest Shampy

Guest Shampy
I have recently bought Animatrix, Akira, Appleseed, new dominion tank police and blackjack can you recomend any other anime films and please give a breif run down on what happens thanks :thumbsup

Guest The Doctor

Ghost In The Shell, Ninja Scroll and Crying Freeman. :worship

[edit]Oh, "brief rundown on what happens", sorry. :dumb

Ghost In The Shell

Plot Outline: A female cyborg cop and her partner hunt a mysterious and powerful hacker called the Puppet Master. Cool quote to live your life by: "If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation."

Ghost in the Shell is a visually stunning animated masterpiece. Japanese animation has always been in a class of its own, so I won't even attempt to describe the incredible attention to detail and beautiful imagery in this movie. In this case the animation is merely icing for what is one of the most important works of science fiction in recent years.

Every generation has had books and movies that have contributed to our collective understanding of reality. Prior to World War II this included books like Huxley's "Brave New World", and later Orwell's "1984". Today most warnings about the future fall into the category of science fiction. Science fiction began to fill this role when Arthur C. Clarke's "2001" warned us of the potential for humanity to create intelligent, even sentient computers that could murder their human creators. "2001" envisioned computer intelligence imprisoned in the physical body of a computer. Where "2001" left off, Ghost in the Shell begins.

Ghost in the Shell tells the story of a future in which a computer program, Project 2501, becomes self-aware and begins a quest to fill basic needs it feels are qualifiers of being alive by controlling computers and people to achieve its ultimate goals. Whereas the HAL-9000 computer was relatively harmless, owing to its confinement in the Odyssey space ship, Project 2501 is a recognition that the global internet could have dire consequences for all of us. By comparison, this new villain is virtually invincible. But is Project 2501 a villain?

Most people who have told me that they didn't like this move said that they didn't understand it. Indeed, the story and concepts are very complicated. I have watched it several times and still get new things out of it every time. Roger Ebert called Ghost in the Shell, "Unusually intelligent and challenging science fiction, aimed at smart audiences".

The characters in Ghost in the Shell are unusually deep and are a refreshing change from the one-dimensional stereotypes we've become numbed by in modern media. Ghost in the Shell would be required reading in many high school and university courses if it weren't for the fortuitous fact that it can be enjoyed in this beautifully animated feature film. This is one of the few movies ever made that everyone should watch at least once.

Ninja Scroll

Plot Outline: A ninja-for-hire is forced into fighting an old nemesis who is bent on overthrowing the Japanese government. His nemesis is also the leader of a group of demons each with superhuman powers.

Masterless samurai for hire is "tricked" by aging government spy in order to partake in assassinating eight supernatural beings during the era of feudal Japan. Ultraviolent premise is not for all tastes, but fascinating visual punch and original story telling make this a must see for animation buffs. Kawajiri's finest film to date is dazzling and gripping from start to finish.

Crying Freeman

Plot Outline: The bloody story of an assassin who silently weeps for his victims, Crying Freeman began as a 1986 manga by Kazuo Koike and Ryoichi Ikegami. In addition to this six-part anime, the story has been filmed twice in live action. The leaders of the Chinese Mafia known as the 108 Dragons brainwash ceramicist Yoh Hinamura and transform him into the ultimate assassin. Virginal artist Emu Hino witnesses a killing by Yoh, but when he comes to murder her, she seduces him and wins his heart. Defying the syndicate, he refuses to give her up. Emu and Yoh subsequently become the bosses of the 108 Dragons. They run the organization--whose illegal activities are tactfully glossed over--on the principles of honor and absolute loyalty extolled in live-action Yakuza movies.

Edited by The Doctor

Guest Shampy
Ghost In The Shell' date=' Ninja Scroll and Crying Freeman. :worship[/quote']

could you please tell me about ghost in the shell because i think i have seen it a long time ago does it involve a female singer.

Guest The Doctor
could you please tell me about ghost in the shell because i think i have seen it a long time ago does it involve a female singer.

Not that I recall, but I did see it yeeeears ago (I really need to buy it). My original post is now edited to include plot outlines.

Guest Anime Otaku

Ghost in the Shell is one of THE anime movies that everyone must see.

In my personall collection i have Perfect Blue which is a psychological horror/thriller movie.

Neon Genesis Evangelion series boxset/NGE: Death and Rebirth/NGE: End of Evangelion That is an immense Giant Robot series plus 2 movie and may be one of the best series of all time.

Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 is another very good series about a group of female crime fighters that are out to get a corperation that are trying ot rule the world by making androids called 'boomers' that are used in all parts of socity from simple waitresses through to giant tank like military models, Though i have heard that the two series before it Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash are both superior.

Martian Successor Nadesico: This is a HILARIOUS space based war/comedy/romance/Giant robo series about a space craft that is crewed by a bunch of misfits that are given the resposibility of crewing the most advanced ship in the space fleet against the evil 'Jovian Lizards'. Well worth a watch IMO

Princess Mononoke: A very visually stunning movie in the mythological aciant japanese setting with a strong conversation theme. It is also an Oscar winner for best animation.

Spirited away: another stunning movie by Miyazaki this time set in the modern day but again with a magical dream like quality as the child heroine is trapped in the land of the spirits and has to find a way to save herself from being trapped there and her parents from being eaten as they have been changed into pigs after helping themselves to food that had been cursed.

Ninja Scroll bored me! However Vampire Hunter D, and The Guyver rocked my world.

Vampiure Hunter D is about a vampire hunter called.........D! The Guyver is a monster/alien technology film (also turned into live action into Mutronics, staring Mark 'Luke Skywalker' Hamell'). Guyver is the best, set in 12 half hour episodes, made a great treat monthly as it came out.

Guest MrFill
Guyver is the best' date=' set in 12 half hour episodes, made a great treat monthly as it came out.[/quote']

Didn't you notice how the quality dived half way through though?

Guest nWosSlave
Akira is absolutely the best anime movie. It was the first one I've seen and it got me hooked on Japanese animation, almost as much as I'm hooked on Japanese wrestling. Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Samurai X, Princess Mononoke, Metropolis, Cowboy Beebop, and the Inuyasha movies (I love Inuyasha!) are the ones in my collection thus far. And if they didn't cost so much, I'd have more. lol

Guest MrFill

While Akira was the first anime that hit it "big time", I'm more a fan of the quirky anime

My favorite anime movie of all time is still Kiki's Delivery Service (in the original Japanese, not the horrid Disney dub)

Although movies like Roujin Z have always raised a smile :)