Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

Yeah, im old and should know better but, any comics fans out there?

Guest MojoPogo

Guest MojoPogo

Didnt now where to put this, so mods, feel free to correct me if i've screwed it up, but any comics/graphic novel fans out there? If so, what are you into? Read anything good recently?

I myself am a bit of a graphic novel slut, enjoy X-men, Wolverine, Lady Death, Vampirella and Elektra and Daredevil amongst others. Justice League and Teen Titans (darker than you might imagine) are also faves.

Frank Millers stuff in general is legendary, but not necessarily conducive to easy reading!

Anybody else fans?:thumbsup

EDIT: Please don't mis-spell swear-words to get around the profanity filters.

Fill didn't actually do anything about it, I did :P.

Chris2K

Edited by Chris2K

There are actually quite a few comic fans around here.

Although I've not bought anything newish for a while, I do have quite an extensive collection of graphic novels. :)

I've got a huge variety of stuff.

Varying from Hellboy, Superman, Batman, Flash, Daredevil, X-Men, Wolverine, Hulk and many others.

Add in Darkstar's and Banner's stuff, and I think we cover a large selection. :D

Guest The Doctor
Cool! Do so darkstar and Banner are fans too? I think im gonna like this site!

I am indeed. I'm a lifelong (well, since I was 4, so that's close enough!) fan of the Hulk, and still read his monthly comic and any half decent limited series or crossovers he's in (he's just been in a great Defenders mini-series, BTW).

The Incredible Hulk and Liberty Meadows (actually anything by Frank Cho is gold - check out his recent Shanna mini-series) are the only comics I always buy , but honourable mention must go to the X-Men (Claremont/Byrne era especially), Wolverine (several great runs), Daredevil (Frank Miller era), Gen 13 (Gary Frank run), Supergirl (David/Frank run), Overkill (sadly missed Marvel UK anthology title), Sandman (plus Violent cases, Mr Punch, etc) and I dip into 2000AD on occasion.

I still spend roughly £20 a week on comics and *cough* aqquire a few more online... *nudgenudgewinkwink*

Agree with the Liberty Meadows love of Brett - Cho rules all, monkeyboy!

I'm a Bendis nut - if his name's on it, I'll buy it - I have everything he's put out, and still to this day think that Torso is his finest hour, closely followed by Jinx and then the mighty POWERS~~~!

Hate the big company wide crossover events that seem to be the norm these days - and I hate what DC are doing in bumping their continuity forward by a year because of the Infitie Crisis 'event' :(

Fave books ever? Watchmen, Guardian Devil, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Secret Wars, We3 and many more... I used to write a comic review column over on another site that stopped because I got bored... I may revive that at some point if I get back into it.

Guest MojoPogo
Excellent, theres some proper connoisseurs on here! Funnily enough, as much as i love the X-Men, i really hated the Age of Apocalypse story arc, i hate anything that messes with the continuity of the characters, and X-mens trick was always in building the characters, and showing them hanging out and stuff as well as the action. but then all of a sudden, constant massed battles.......meh!

I must admit - I'm not an X-Men fan at all. I dig the Ultimate X-Men, but mainly because Bendis started wiritng on it and I got into it... and I think Wolverine is THE most over-used character in existence.

There, I said it!

Guest MojoPogo
Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion! I must admit, i like him, but it WOULD be interesting if they killed him off......morbid though that sounds.

Speaking of the Watchmen, I have a first run set (stored in plastic comic bags) - quite a few years back it was worth tons for the set, but because they kept on re-releasing it, it's now not worth much. :P

White gloves & Tweezers? No, not that obsessive - but I am careful to wash my hands before I read them, then they go in the bag after they've been read.

The Sin City books are excellent - I've got a couple of them in book form and the full set on PC... well worth checking out.

Guest MojoPogo

i still read mine! yeah, i look after em, but they still give me a lot of pleasure!

never got the whole, collect em all. yes, theres a few i particularly treasure, but they still get read. i really enjoyed vampire princess miyu as well.

Do you use white gloves and tweezers to look at them?

Im not taking the piss, im genuinely wondering.

My Watchmen don't come out of the bags - I'm trying to keep them in good condition for their value.

I bought a graphic novel of them to re-read, but it went walk-about when somebody borrowed it years ago.

But the rest, they just get read.

Guest Anime Otaku
First editions are the ones to get or the first appearence of a particular major Character like the D.C. Comics edition #1 or the first Marvel comic (I thinl Marvel) with Spider-man in it are bothe in to 4 or 5 figures in good condition