Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

Yeah, im old and should know better but, any comics fans out there?

Guest MojoPogo

How much are they worth?

Not as much as they once were - think about his, there are 12 in the series, each cost £1 when I bought them - at the time I looked, at their peak the set was worth several hundred pounds.

What makes a comic worth a lot?

Rarity, condition, "first appearance" of a character, any "gifts" still attached. In some cases, mis-prints are worth a lot too.

Whats the one everyone most wants if they could have it?

A first appearance of Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Flash, any of the "big" characters.

For example, in 2004, a copy of Flash Comics #1 (January 1940), featuring the first appearance of the Flash, was auctioned for $42,000.

Detective Comics #27 features the first appearance of Batman.

Amazing Fantasy #15 features the first appearance of Spider-Man.

The most valuable comic book in the world is probably Action Comics #1 (June 1938), featuring the first appearance of Superman. This issue essentially ushered in the Golden Age of Comic Books and began the superhero comic book industry. Less than 100 copies of Action Comics #1 are known to exist in the entire world, and in 2003, $1 million was offered for a near-mint copy.

Guest MojoPogo
I like to get hold of Wolverine #86 which was him versus Sabretooth, and by all accounts was an absolute gem. Plus, it was the first time they'd had a Sabretooth v Wolvie fight for ages.........(they're always great!).

$1million for a comic book! Thats crazy! They wouldnt even be able to read it! Wow

Think of it like stamp collectors - you can't use them for posting letters, but you collect them.

I've got a few that are in the three figure range - a complete mint set of Origin, every 'Ultimate' book released, a few Silver Age flash and Batman titles... they are kept VERY safe :D

Bah, so far in and no one has mentioned the GREATEST comic/graphic novel series EVER: Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

Come on, it was cutting edge in content and style and is far and away totally unique in its outlook.

Bah, Hulk can bog off. :P

Guest The Doctor
Bah, so far in and no one has mentioned the GREATEST comic/graphic novel series EVER: Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

Come on, it was cutting edge in content and style and is far and away totally unique in its outlook.

I mentioned it, you muppet. :P

And I totally agree with your appraisal of it. Anyone who thinks a) comics are just for kids or b) they aren't an artform could do with broadening their mind with Mr Gaiman's finest hour. :)

Guest MojoPogo
I agree, in terms of quality, art and writing, Sandman is top notch. In fact, i'd go so far to say as its probably one of the few books, that could genuinelly be classed as true art. That said, i myself, (cheesy as it is) cant quite get into it. But i appreciate the impact it made. And still does for that matter.

Guest PHIZZLE

I'm not into comics myself but my brother is and he keeps them in plastic bags sealed

I've heard comics can be worth lots of money does anyone on here have any valuable comics

Guest The Doctor
I'm not into comics myself but my brother is and he keeps them in plastic bags sealed

I've heard comics can be worth lots of money does anyone on here have any valuable comics

I buy comics to read them, not collect them, but as it happens the very first one I was bought, at the age of 4, was the death of Proteus in the Uncanny X-Men - the last issue before the Dark Phoenix Saga. I think that's anout £4,500 near mint. Most of the Death of Superman ones I have are at least £30 each as well.

I mentioned it, you muppet. :P

And I totally agree with your appraisal of it. Anyone who thinks a) comics are just for kids or b) they aren't an artform could do with broadening their mind with Mr Gaiman's finest hour. :)

There's so many titles you could recommend to people that think Comcis are just for kids - Sandman is near the top of the pile, natch - add in Preacher, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Torso, Jinx, Goldfish... Comics are a growing medium these days. It's all good.

Guest MojoPogo
I have the foil cover issue where Magneto ripped out Wolverines adamantium skeleton, and although its only worth about £40 somebody offered me £200 for it......