Fan Clubs | beta

Tim Burtons Alice In Wonderland

Guest Michael89

Guest John Hancock

I just came back from watching it, and, really, people need to remember one thing;

IT'S A F*CKING CHILDREN'S FILM FOR CHILDREN

People are complaining online because it isn't dark enough, or it isn't deep enough, or there isn't enough character development. Well? What were people expecting? It's a PG Disney film. Also, people are complaining that there's no story line, although there's roughly 84,000,000,000% more story line than the original Alice In Wonderland, which was a series of characters just arriving, being weird, and then leaving never to be seen again. It's my favourite book of all time, but it's silly to pretend that it has any story line other than "Alice saw this, then she saw this, then she saw this, then she saw this".

I for one liked it. The art direction was Burton at his best, the characters were relatively faithful and I'm sure, were I half my age, I'd have found it far more entertaining. As it was though, I got by on the beautiful "sets", the loveably weird characters, and Mia Wasikowska hotness.

I'm saying no more, as I'm sure this film will receive the same "Hindus reviewing hamburgers" reaction that Twilight got, as straight middle aged men fail to realise that everything isn't designed solely to entertain them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sub par effects and poor acting from the lead arent excused by 'its a kids film'. Wasikowska could either act or do the accent, not both at once! The scenery and huge set pieces may have been spectacular, but the interaction between Alice (small) and The Hatter as well as Alice riding the, ummm, dog thingy were straight out of Clash of the Titans. And I dont mean the new one. :lol

I do agree that complaining about how dark it is or isnt (I thought it got that right) is silly, though nothing wrong with complaining about plot. Its still a film. Though the plot was fine for what it was.

But I guess I shouldnt be allowed to have an opinion on a film, I only paid to see it so my opinion isnt worth anything.

edit: and since when does being a childrens film mean it cant appeal to adults? Look at Corpse Bride, Toy Story and Shrek to name just 3. Kids films that adults love.

or if you want live action PG (and under) Disney movies then Herbie, Pirates of the Caribbean and Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Edited by Paul

What the new Alice movie was supposed to be (not PG, not Disney, not a kids film) and the Alice movie we landed up with instead are two totally different things. That's bound to create some backlash. Damn, I need to find a copy of American McGees Alice game..

edit: and since when does being a childrens film mean it cant appeal to adults?

why does the excuse "its meant for kids" seem to apply when a film is labelled as shit. I think that's really insulting to kids.

Guest John Hancock
I should say, my actually kinda uncalled for rant wasn't directed at Darkstar, but was still a little bit over the top, so apologies for that.

Guest Tommate2k9
I'm off to watch this in 3D on Wednesday so ill post my comments thoughts up here at some point. bare in mind iv never seen a 3D film. And i don't actually like Alice in wonderland. But i'm keeping an open mind.

Guest John Hancock

By the way, Bonham Carters queen, very Queenie from Blackadder the Second did you not think?

I said the exact same thing! It's the same voice, the same look, the same mannerisms...

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Went to see it on Wednesday in 3D and really I need to see it in 2D to give an objective reaction to it as I got around an hour in with the 3D glasses on before I had to take them off and look away for a while as my head was throbbing way too bad.

What I saw of it I thought it was ok though. not great but I wouldn't say it was terrible either, my girlfriend loved every second of it but I wasn't that impressed but the 3D problem didn't help my impressions of it

Went to see it yesterday, in glorious 3D.

Not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination. Depp's good as the Hatter to be fair, he'll never shake off the Cap'n Jack mannerisms though. Bonham Carter had clearly just watched a series of Blackadder to research her role, although it was very funny.

I did enjoy the cameo's as such from the Bandersnatch, the JubJub Bird and the Jabberwocky. Beware the Jub Jub Bird and Shun the Furious Bandersnatch :) And I liked how the Jabberwocky was spot on from the book, and of course it's greatest cameo appearance to date, The Real Ghostbusters :P

Not exactly what I was expecting, I was expecting more a 3D-laiden redone clone of the cartoon, but what Burton did was actually very clever and very original. It's pretty much the sequel to the cartoon without saying so, or really trying to make out to be, but then also not cloning the cartoon. Very good stuff, and the 3D in the cinema was a billion times better than 3D at home like The Final Destination 3D. Shame the glasses dont work with the DVD 3D :(

Best part of my afternoon was of course, the gloriously brilliant 3D commercial for the new series of Doctor Who before the film though, complete with music snippet

Best part of my afternoon was of course, the gloriously brilliant 3D commercial for the new series of Doctor Who before the film though, complete with music snippet

My sister told me about the 3D trailer for DW, i'm half tempted to go see the film for this even with little intrest whatsoever in the film.

Clash of the Titans in 3D however really tickles my fancy.