Fan Clubs | beta

Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal

Guest Springsteen

Guest Springsteen
The worldwide leader in family entertainment is about to get a great deal more entertaining, as the Walt Disney Company agrees to acquire iconic comic book company Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion.

More than 5,000 iconic comic book characters will soon be in the hands of Disney, raising serious questions about the future of Marvel video game titles from Activision, Sega, THQ, and the upcoming MMO from Gazillion Entertainment. Under the terms of the agreement, Disney will pay Marvel shareholders $30 per share for their Marvel stock, plus .745 of a share of Disney stock for each share they own.

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."

Guest Anime Otaku
I heard a little about this, I kinda worry about how much the Disney Execs will try to meddle with Marvel's output. I'm sure the likes of Spider-man will be OK but I'm not sure what would happen to the likes of Blade and The Punisher (I'm fairly sure he's Marvel) if they do try to really exert control over what Marvel Produces. But then I'm also fairly sure Disney owns the likes of Miramax which does have predominantly adult orientated output.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I am thinking the same AO. Marvel have been great doing their own movies (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk) but I am wondering with any future movies how much pressure Disney will put on them to change the direction of things and make them more general audiance worthy then they may be otherwise under Marvel alone

From the BBC News website:

Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal

Entertainment giant Walt Disney is to buy Marvel Entertainment in a shares and cash deal valued at $4bn (£2.5bn).

The deal means Disney will take over ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters, such as Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Marvel shareholders will get $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share owned.

The boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the deal, which now needs the backing of Marvel shareholders and competition authorities.

Marvel shares were ahead $9.76, or 25%, to $48.41 in midday trading while Disney shares fell 94 cents, or 3.5%, to $25.90.

'Great assets'

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Disney president and chief executive Robert Iger said.

"We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."

Other Marvel's characters include Captain America, the Fantastic Four and Thor.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Marvel chief executive Ike Perlmutter.

"This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world," he added.

'Good deal'

Arvind Bhatia, an analyst at Sterne, Agee and Leach, said that the deal appeared to be a "win-win situation for both companies".

"They [Marvel shareholders] are getting a good deal in my opinion. The CEO of the company, Isaac Perlmutter, is also the largest shareholder of the company.

"From that standpoint, we think the chances of this deal going through are pretty high."

Last month, Walt Disney reported a fall in profits of more than a quarter as the downturn hit revenue at its film and theme park divisions.

Net profit between April and June came in at $954m (£579m), down 26% on the $1.28bn the entertainment giant made in the same period last year.

Revenues of $8.6bn were down 7% from the $9.2bn recorded a year before.

Guest Dante Spears

And so Disney continues their quest to take over the world

I wonder how long until they buy Wal-Mart and McDonalds.

Guest Dante Spears
I am wondering how long before Wal-Mart or McDonalds buy Disney more then the other way around :lol

Forget it that mouse isn't going to rest until he controls the entire world.

I heard a little about this, I kinda worry about how much the Disney Execs will try to meddle with Marvel's output. I'm sure the likes of Spider-man will be OK but I'm not sure what would happen to the likes of Blade and The Punisher (I'm fairly sure he's Marvel) if they do try to really exert control over what Marvel Produces. But then I'm also fairly sure Disney owns the likes of Miramax which does have predominantly adult orientated output.

They also own Touchstone which for awhile was they outlet for let's say, less kiddle type movies.

As long as they leave the characters as they are, I think it's a good think. Disney if anyone has the money to back them up and they know how to make movies.

Guest John Hancock
I really doubt too much will change, other than someone will make more money than they were before hand, and a bunch of people will have a new boss. The films, I bet, will remain much the same.

I really doubt too much will change, other than someone will make more money than they were before hand, and a bunch of people will have a new boss. The films, I bet, will remain much the same.

agreed, it's not like they're buying it in order to change it. As long as they leave it as an independent company (of sorts) then nothing should really change. Marvel themselves had different banners which released different films (Punisher Warzone was released under the Marvel Knights banner, which is for more adult stories), so it's not like Marvel were that different from disney.

Plus, Disney now own the Power Rangers franchise, which is a show that was aimed for kids, but caused uproar in the 90s for the amountof violence and racism, so it shows they can mellow a bit.

Darkstar - are crossovers really a good thing? I never got on board with cross-company storytelling, it just seemed like another unnecessary waste of money.