Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2010

Guest Dante Spears

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
I've been going through all the boxsets of cheers, up to season 6 now. It is the finest comedy ever made.
I thought the Frasier spin off was better ("I AM WOUNDED!!!!") and Seinfeld. I never really got into Cheers.

Guest Dante Spears
I always felt The Drew Carey Show (well the first 6 seasons) was a better comedy show then any of these. Frasier was always to high brow for me (I was a kid!) and Cheer's had it's moments with me. Seinfeld I don't understand, and hate Elaine enough to not want to watch the show.

Made an awful mistake of watching Wrestlicious. Worst. Promotion. EVER. Really.

Unless you haven't been watching TNA for the last 4 years, this is absolutely not true.

Wrestlelicious is fantastic in its awfulness. It's one of those "so ungodly bad that it's fascinatingly great" shows. Once the wrestling starts, it's boring as hell, but the "skits" and raps make it more than watchable.

Also, I may have posted this before, but I love this video:

[YOUTUBE]KtHDB0p66Rg[/YOUTUBE]

WWE do a lot of things wrong, but video packages is not one, and certainly not ones honouring the greats of the past.

The Andre cheer interests me, because I never fully grasped how big an attraction he was until I was talking to my radio lecturer in class last week. We were discussing my idea for a project and he mentioned that wrestling would have good soundbites for a documentary and that I could use "what's it called? The Royal Rumble?" and then namedropped Andre The Giant. Not Hogan, not Flair, not Austin - the first and only name he could think of, as a New Zealand-born nearly middle-aged man who clearly knew of wrestling but not much about it in the past 20 years, was Andre The Giant. And this astounded me, but now I kinda understand why.

Edited by DraVen

Guest Dave7g
Unless you haven't been watching TNA for the last 4 years, this is absolutely not true.

Wrestlelicious is fantastic in its awfulness. It's one of those "so ungodly bad that it's fascinatingly great" shows. Once the wrestling starts, it's boring as hell, but the "skits" and raps make it more than watchable.

Ah come on, it's attrocious, it's painful to watch, and it's embarrassing. The ironic studenty way of "LOL it's so bad it's AWESOME!!!!" mentality, doesn't work for me. This is shit beyond shit. The characters are retarded, the writing is retarded and the jokes make no sense. It looks like a CBBC puppet show.

It'll be gone in a week, and good riddance. Chikara do comedy well, Jimmy Hart doesn't. He's stuck in the 1970's.

Guest The Beltster
Also, I may have posted this before, but I love this video:

[YOUTUBE]KtHDB0p66Rg[/YOUTUBE]

WWE do a lot of things wrong, but video packages is not one, and certainly not ones honouring the greats of the past.

WWE, when they want to, are better at promoting past stars than anybody, they really make them seem special, even the jobbers, its a shame so many starts fall out with Vince, we are missing out on tons of videos.

Nice to hear Fred Blassie and Gorilla get those kinda of ovations too, both more than well deserved.

Ah come on, it's attrocious, it's painful to watch, and it's embarrassing. The ironic studenty way of "LOL it's so bad it's AWESOME!!!!" mentality, doesn't work for me. This is shit beyond shit. The characters are retarded, the writing is retarded and the jokes make no sense. It looks like a CBBC puppet show.

It'll be gone in a week, and good riddance. Chikara do comedy well, Jimmy Hart doesn't. He's stuck in the 1970's.

It's only sh*t if you have absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever. And ok, fair enough on this site, but it's absolutely something that is cringe theatre but highly entertaining with it, just because there's nothing about it that isn't hilarious or astounding - a money mark wins millions and forms his own women's wrestling company in order to meet hot girls, hiring Jimmy Hart and making everyone rap with the word "wrestlelicious" in it. It's completely and utterly absurd, and should not be treated in any other way. If you're expecting something serious from it, you're insane. Nothing about Wrestlelicious screams anything other than a big inside joke, and that's what it should be treated as.

Guest Dave7g
I couldn't get past the video where they introduced the wrestlers. The canned laughter is appalling too. Nah, not for me. Never.

Guest The GS

I couldn't find a Superstars thread so I'll post this here.

Just watched the Goldust v Jericho main event and I must say Goldust just keeps on impressing me. The guy who came to WWE some time back with a big gut is well gone. He's in unbelievable shape now. I just love watching him as his moves are so unique and he's a very good wrestler. It's a shame that we don't get to see him wrestle every week.

With him now on Smackdown I'm hoping he'll get some airtime, even if it means him losing the Goldust gimmick and joining CM Punk's straight edge society. Actually, that'd be a pretty decent storyline and if it means more Dustin Rhodes I'm all for it.

Having 2 of my favourite wrestlers CM Punk and Goldust in the same stable would be pretty cool.

Edited by The GS

I couldn't find a Superstars thread so I'll post this here.
You can find it here, it's the first thread in the Spoilers Forum (pinned at the top) and has been around there since the show started airing.

WWE, when they want to, are better at promoting past stars than anybody, they really make them seem special, even the jobbers, its a shame so many starts fall out with Vince, we are missing out on tons of videos.

Nice to hear Fred Blassie and Gorilla get those kinda of ovations too, both more than well deserved.

Yeah... They figured out that a little classical, ambient violin behind a slow narrative goes a long way. I also seem to see right thru the "flash cut into slow-motion after a heel's attack". They paint a picture, and they do it fine, but it's not "epic greatness" to me. But, with that being said, they're the best in the business today at doing it... but we all seem to be in agreement that, that isn't saying a whole lot.

Yeah... They figured out that a little classical, ambient violin behind a slow narrative goes a long way. I also seem to see right thru the "flash cut into slow-motion after a heel's attack". They paint a picture, and they do it fine, but it's not "epic greatness" to me. But, with that being said, they're the best in the business today at doing it... but we all seem to be in agreement that, that isn't saying a whole lot.
Yeah, but I would've thought everything was in a slow-motion haze for you. :lol

Yeah, but I would've thought everything was in a slow-motion haze for you. :lol

I haven't smoked weed in two months, thank you very much :P

...But: "Good one." :lol

Browsing around the internet, it's amazing the things you find out that you didn't know before. Take, for example, that Ahmed Johnson was arrested and charged for pimping three young (i.e. considered underage) girls in 1999.

He should have heeded The Godfather's advice.

When TNA was on weekly PPVs, it needed to move to TV. When it moved to TV, it needed moving to a better station. When it moved to a better station, it needed two hours. When it got two hours, it needed a prime-time slot. When it got a prime-time slot, it needed bigger stars. When it got bigger stars, it needed Monday nights against Raw.

TNA now has Monday nights against Raw. So, what will be the next logical progression that the TNA brass wheels out in two months time when it's doing 1.1's again with no PPV growth whatsoever?

TNA now has Monday nights against Raw. So, what will be the next logical progression that the TNA brass wheels out in two months time when it's doing 1.1's again with no PPV growth whatsoever?

The next step is getting out of the Impact Zone I should think. That's a long way off though and I don't think TNA will ever have a real crack at WWE until they have a massive budget and more stars. At the moment I don't see Impact in competition with Raw for a veeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyy long time :(