Fan Clubs | beta

Your 5 Favourite Which Should Never Be Re-Made

Guest DarkMatchJobber

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Spanish quarantine and then the American quarantine and to be fair, they were both pretty similar, except the language. Hats off to the director for that because I hate it when they add extra stuff from the original, it feels spoilt.

Anyhoo, I'd like to add the evil dead series to the never should be remade.

Like Nightmare on Elm street has shown, you just can't replace a good actor like Robert Englund and you couldn't replace Bruce Campbell.

Guest John Hancock
I preferred the Spanish version (REC) just because the acting was better, and because they used cheaper cameras and lighting and stuff which, ironically, made it look more realistic. It's still basically the exact same film though.

Guest Reno

Anyhoo, I'd like to add the evil dead series to the never should be remade.

It can be argued that the second Evil Dead can be classed as a remake. :P

Though, I totally agree with this. These films shouldn't be touched, Bruce Campbell could never be replaced... Just give us Evil Dead IV, Raimi!

Guest The Cork
I preferred the Spanish version (REC) just because the acting was better, and because they used cheaper cameras and lighting and stuff which, ironically, made it look more realistic. It's still basically the exact same film though.

I agree, the Spanish one just seemed spookier to me, that scene with the old zombie woman scared the shit out of me.

Guest Anime Otaku
I think that's a problem with Hollywood, particularly big studios, (assuming Quarantine was remade by a big studio) is that they seem to think that everything needs to be slicker and flashier where as the likes of Ringu get their strength from being very understated. Honestly, I love the Saw movies that I've seen but I think that they could be better and nastier if they were filmed more simply.

Off the top of my head...

2001: A Space Odyssey - Ground-breaking film with cinematic effects that still hold up to this day (seriously, even check out the film on blu-ray, stunning visuals.) There's no point trying to re-tell that story when the orginal is..well near-perfect the way it is.

The Shawshank Redemption - I could actually see it being done in the future but I'd be very angry to see it. Another near-perfect movie that nobody needs to see updated.

The Godfather - It would seem like a crime wouldn't it?!

That's all I can think of at the minute..

I actually think Eyes Wide Shut isn't nearly as bad as some people make out. I do accept that it is quite clearly a marmite film and one that many just didn't get or maybe didn't understand the point of the story.

Personally speaking, I found the story interesting and at times, down-right uncomfortable and creepy. When a film does that (regardless of how Kubrick made every single one of his films look outstanding anyway) it's hard for me to dislike it.

The films I don't ever EVER want to be seen remade are Labyrinth, St Elmos Fire (and all from that era) and Rocky Horror Picture Show. The fact Rocky Horror is apparently being remade makes me cringe and want to weep in a corner...

Right, so if we didnt like it we didnt get it or understand the point of it. Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I'll go back to watching the American Pie series where I can be entertained by d*ck jokes as clearly I'm not qualified to watch anything above that level.

I apologise for voicing a quite clearly stupid opinion, I'll not make that mistake again when a film expert like you is around.

Right, so if we didnt like it we didnt get it or understand the point of it. Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I'll go back to watching the American Pie series where I can be entertained by d*ck jokes as clearly I'm not qualified to watch anything above that level.

I apologise for voicing a quite clearly stupid opinion, I'll not make that mistake again when a film expert like you is around.

Bad day? :lol

Allllrigghhttty-roo!

Just to be clear, when I said people might not get it, I didn't necessarily mean through lack of intelligence or open-mindedness (is that a word?!)

I was going along the lines of..say..how I don't get all the fuss around the Twilight movies..or I personally don't get why the Lord of the Rings trilogy is so great.

Personal taste yeah?

Either way, I'm not going to apologise for saying something that even now (looking at it again) isn't snobbish at all.

Darkstar's post is a complete over-reaction in my book (if he was being serious and not half-hearted) and hence why I asked if he was just having a shit day.

But if you still think I'm in the wrong then fire ahead and tell me why.

Although I do ask you keep it mature and not like some sort of rant.

My post was intended 'dry' rather than annoyed. Though the basic point I was making is also something I think is true. JC, you DO have a habit of being elitist about stuff and saying that 'if people dont like it they dont get it', or words to that effect.

For examples of both:

I think you are very uninformed/ignorant about why films are dubbed classics.

I mean I'm a real fan of wrestling (although apparently' date=' a minority - go figure)[/quote']

Maybe its just your phrasing, I know I can very often come over as condescending and elitist about things, but its how your posts do often come over to me. And its a tad grating to be honest.

Maybe its just your phrasing' date=' I know I can very often come over as condescending and elitist about things, but its how your posts do often come over to me. And its a tad grating to be honest.[/quote']

First thing, quickly, yeah I do word things in a certain way.

But frankly, I find it a tad creepy you pulling up those quotes like you've been compiling a dossier on me but I'll not go into that any further and just assume you've remembered, then went and looked for them.

I was going to go-to-town over your view of me but I've realised it's probably not worth the effort. In simple terms:

1) I'm no more elitest than a sh*tload of other people on here.

2) I'm no more condescending than a sh*tload of other people on here.

3) If people have a problem with what I post..have some bottle and argue against it?! This is a forum, yeah? I'm not writing articles for people to leave sarcastic comments under.

If people posting on a forum have ill-feeling towards me I'll lose no sleep over it, trust me. :lol

Firstly, he's a global mod and as global mods he has tools for finding things really, really quickly, cause we need it when reminding people of their posts sometimes.

Secondly, this all really has nothing to do with films that shouldn't be remade now is it?

So let's get back to it please?