Your 5 Favourite Which Should Never Be Re-Made

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest Gemsi

1) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

2) Cool Runnings

3) Labrynth

4) Brassed Off

5) Rocky Horror Picture Show

Ok, so all older films in there, but I like 'em and don't think they should ever be remade.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anime Otaku
Arguably Rocky Horror has been remade many times already, just not the movie version. Of course the Rocky Horror Picture Show is itself a remake/adaptation.

Chitty chitty bang bang is a very good call. Actually, pretty much any of the musicals from that period. Imagine Oliver, or The Sound of Music being remade.... it'd be as bad as remaking the Dirty Dozen movies.

Guest Anime Otaku
Not seen "To kill a mocking bird" but I agree there isn't much point in them being remade as they are very much of the time they were made, same with The Devils Advocate and Wall Street, though that does have a sequel out or coming out.

You're missing out if you haven't seen To Kill a Mockingbird, Taj; it's one of the best films ever made and has one of the greatest movie heroes in Atticus Finch (played by an at-his-best Gregory Peck).

I don't agree that it couldn't be remade (some would argue that the basic situation - white lawyer defends black man of a crime in a racist area of the US - has been remade countless times, with A Time to Kill being one of my favourite takes on that story), either keeping it in the timeframe of the book, updating it to a more contemporary setting or just adapting the basic elements above into a different set of circumstances.

Guest Fiona

I don't agree that it couldn't be remade (some would argue that the basic situation - white lawyer defends black man of a crime in a racist area of the US - has been remade countless times, with A Time to Kill being one of my favourite takes on that story), either keeping it in the timeframe of the book, updating it to a more contemporary setting or just adapting the basic elements above into a different set of circumstances.

Totally disagree. The reason the book was so successful is that the author based it on an event that happened back in 1936. It was one of the first books to take on the subject of racism in the deep South. To put it into a contemporary setting wouldn't work. Even though the issue of race still rears it's ugly head, with the 24 hour news channels it doesn't have the impact it had 70 years ago. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite books/movies ever, and should be left alone and not touched. Also who are you going to find in this day and age that could come close to the performance that Gregory Peck gave?

Guest Fiona

I forgot to put my list on when doing the first post. These are the 5 films I wouldn't remake.

1. Some Like it Hot

2. Dinner at Eight

3. Psycho

4. Bridge Over the River Kwai

5. Clockwork Orange

Edited by Fiona

1) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

2) Cool Runnings

3) Labrynth

4) Brassed Off

5) Rocky Horror Picture Show

Ok, so all older films in there, but I like 'em and don't think they should ever be remade.

But a sequel (whether a proper sequel or an homage) would be great for Labyrinth.

And Dark Crystal.

But no cheating with the CGI - just puppets and physical effects as were (the majority) of the effects in the originals.

Hmm... Might see if I can persuade Mrs C that a Labyrinth/Dark Crystal double-bill should be tonight's entertainment... :)

The only film I think that they should never remake, although they tried a sequel (aka: "remake") is The Blues Brothers.

I had a dream a while back that they did remake The Blues Brothers. I can't remember who they got to play them, but I'm kinda certain Jack Black was Jake, but I cannot remember who played Elwood at all :P.

And it wasn't Blues either. It was more "stoner rock".

In fact, perhaps I was just watching "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny".

Cheers!

Guest Fiona

Now this would definitely be a remake of a different kind.

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/129202649562665531.jpg