Fan Clubs | beta

New Doctor Who Series and Rumours

Paul

Rumours are afoot...

He took on the role of the Doctor earlier this year but it has now emerged that he has been telling friends he wants to leave the show after two series so he can try his hand at cracking America.

Matt, 27, is currently filming this year’s Christmas special with his foxy co-star Karen Gillan, who plays his assistant Amy Pond.

He will be joined by Catherine Jenkins who is guest-starring in the Christmas special along with Harry Potter actor Michael Gambon.

The new series of Doctor Who is set to air next year and recording will begin as soon as the season special has been completed.

Though he may be keeping himself busy with his time-travelling duties for now, a friend of his told The Sun of his big American dream which is likely to shock BBC bosses: ‘Matt plans to quit after the next series.’

‘He is eager to try new things and thinks Hollywood beckons.’

The actor, who is currently dating model Daisy Lowe, 21, made a great impact on critics of his interpretation of the famous Doctor. Leaving after just two seasons is likely to leave a gaping hole for show bigwigs.

The BBC have admitted that any future involving Smith and the Doctor Who series is uncertain anyway though: 'The BBC and Matt won't speculate on things.'

Credit: Metro

These rumours are being reported all over at the moment.

However...

After Matt Smith's first year in the titular role of Doctor Who (a very good one at that, in my opinion), there were rumors that, like Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston, he might be leaving the show just a series after he started. Various reasons were given, including Smith's desire to move to America and focus on films, or that ratings for "The Big Bang," were bad enough to send him packing.

Steven Moffat, Doctor Who's current showrunner, has dismissed those rumors. The question of a regeneration was posed to him by BBC News after Benedict Cumberbatch, the star of Moffat's miniseries Sherlock, didn't deny an inquiry of whether or not he would be the Doctor in his upcoming recurring role in the series. "Maybe," Cumberbatch replied simply, and the rumor mill began to churn.

Moffat has decided to put a stop to the rumors of Cumberbatch — or anyone — replacing Smith. "There is no vacancy," Moffat stated, putting at ease the minds of Smith fans everywhere. "Matt Smith is the Doctor and he's been an astonishing success and – who knows – maybe he'll never regenerate again."

While of course the quotation that "maybe he'll never regenerate again" translates to "he won't regenerate for a few years," it's still nice to see that bit of reassurance coming straight from the horse's mouth. Smith has been my favorite Doctor since Eccleston in 2005, and is the latest in a stream of great actors to portray the time-travelling alien.

Within the continuity of the series, the Doctor can only have thirteen incarnations, and Smith is the Eleventh. While it seems likely that the story will find some way around this, regenerating the Doctor so soon seems like a self-destruction just waiting to happen.

Doctor Who will return in December with a Christmas special (starring Smith alongside companions Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill), and then again next spring with a sixth series.

Credit: tvovermind

Moffat telling the truth or misdirecting us?

Though the thought of Cumberbatch as The Master is one I love very much, though I think he'd be a cracking Doctor... especially the 12th, he has enough about him to be The Valeyard.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cumberbatch has hinted in recent interviews that he will appear in the next series as a recurring character, and i must admit the first thing that popped into my head was The Master.

The end of Smiths reign rumours are to be expected, pretty much the first question that anyone cast as The Doctor will recieve is when are you leaving?

The more I think about it the more I want him to appear as The Valeyard as a multi series villain trying to guide Smiths Doctor into doing the actions that will set in motion the creation of The Valeyard.

That could be so much fun.

Guest Laffy
I just can't get into him as the doctor I have been watching Dr Who since 1980 and was gutted when it went off air i watched religiously with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant but just can't see Smith as the Dr hated the last series and only watch first four episodes, most of the time i was out but unlike previous occasions where i would record and watch later this time did not bother so would welcome a new doctor as I love Dr Who.

I actually liked Matt Smith, but didn't enjoy the series , I preferred him to Tennant , but the writing didn't seem as sharp this time around.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting news from Edinburgh.

Speaking at the Edinburgh International Television Festival, Steven Moffat has announced that the next series of Doctor Who will be split in two with a 'gamechanging' cliffhanger in episode 7.

"The split series is hugely exciting because viewers will be treated to two premieres, two finales and more event episodes. For the kids it will never be more than a few months to the next Doctor Who! Easter, Autumn, Christmas!!"

The BBC press office describe the split transmission as the result of a request from Steven Moffat to write a new Doctor Who story arc which involves a big plot twist in the middle of the series. "By splitting the series Moffat plans to give viewers one of the most exciting Doctor Who cliffhangers and plot twists ever, leaving them waiting, on the edge of their seats, until the autumn to find out what happens."

The Guardian, who host the annual television festival, have uploaded a video clip of Moffat making the announcement Here

Flash Forward was a brand new ridiculously convoluted show though.

Dr Who is hugely established, already has a big core audience, so it won't make any difference.

I'd also say that the Lost season 3 mid season finale was flipping awesome. Probably one of the best cliffhangers the show had in its entire run.

Could also be worth noting that the mid season gap is where Torchwood : The New World is currently slated to air. Which should appease some of the older Doctor Who fans

For those that care, Moffat also announced that another 3 episodes of Sherlock have been commissioned which should also air Autumn 2011.

• 2 weeks later...
so he's basically trying to make it more American by having a 'mid-season finale' style show. Worked really well for Flash Forward.

Works really well for Burn Notice, Psych etc. Basically, by splitting it into two mini-seasons in which episodes are shown consistently week after week during that mini-season, you do see a ratings improvement.

Mainly because people aren't missing that, for example, one random episode of Smallville, by itself out in the middle of ****ing nowhere. I'm just saying...

Sorry, that really annoyed me last year.

yeah I know that loads of shows do it, I just really don't see the point. Plus, FF wasn't the greatest show, but it was still interesting and I reckon if it hadn't have been off TV for 4 months it might have managed a second series. DR Who only has 13 episodes a series, there's really no need to split it in two!

• 1 month later...

How to solve a 34 year old problem Russell.T.Davies style

He travels through time and space, saves the Earth, and has millions of fans all over the world. But as every "Whovian" knows, the Doctor cannot last for ever: Time Lords are able to regenerate only 12 times before they die.

Fans have always thought that the 13th doctor would be the last, thanks to a 1976 Doctor Who episode, The Deadly Assassin, featuring Tom Baker as the Doctor in his fourth incarnation, and revealing for the first time the regeneration limit. But a passing comment in a children's television programme later this month is set to rewrite history and cast the Doctor, iconic hero of the world's most successful and longest-running science fiction series, as immortal.

The moment comes in the CBBC spin-off show, The Sarah Jane Adventures, which stars former companion Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. Matt Smith, who plays the current Doctor Who, guest stars in a two-part episode called The Death of the Doctor, to be screened on October 25 and 26. While the Doctor and Clyde Langer, played by Daniel Anthony, are in the process of outwitting spooky vulture undertakers the Shansheeth, Clyde asks how many times he can regenerate. The Doctor indicates that there is no limit. The action continues.

Fans of the show have been expecting an official moving of the goalposts for some time, but it was anticipated as part of the Christmas special, rather than in an after-school slot on the CBBC channel.

Back in 1976, 12 regenerations must have felt like a safely distant number to pluck from the ether. Now, however, with Smith playing the character in his 11th incarnation, circumventing the rule has begun to feel rather urgent. As JK Rowling hinted last week, once a hero has conquered the world, it is hard to put him away for good: we may also see an extension to the seven-book Harry Potter franchise, despite its very final ending and Nineteen Years Later epilogue.

And with the Doctor Who brand constantly expanding (including spin-offs that range from lunchboxes to the Doctor Who Live show currently on a 25-date, nine-city tour) it was hardly likely that the BBC was going to call time on the series.

It was a stroke of PR genius to slip the hotly anticipated fudging of the Doctor's longevity into a children's series: the episodes are now sure to draw in the viewers. However, Whovians (famously likened by Sarah Jane creator Russell T Davies to a swarm of mosquitoes) will be disappointed that there is no technical reason given for the change: it is simply stated in passing.

Whovian Simon says: "Many of us old-timers have looked forward to the story that addresses the end of the Doctor's life span. I'm gutted that it appears that something so integral to the show's long-term storyline has been passed over in this way."

The BBC would not say whether there would be any further explanation. "We never comment on future storylines for Doctor Who," said a spokeswoman.

But... that was answered in the 5th Doctors time. :lol

The Master had his regenerations extended as a reward for helping The Doctor during the Five Doctors story. Thus we know that 12 regenerations is an arbitrary number on behalf of the Time Lords. The only question was how it was limited/extended, and thats not being explained.

I only know that as its my favorite Doctor story (until School Reunion that is).