Fan Clubs | beta

2010 Console of the Year

Guest Chriscare

Guest Chriscare

Which has been the best console of the year? I'll give you a quick reminder about what each console has had to offer this year.

Xbox 360 - Released New Xbox 360 S version

- Release the the artist formerly known as NATAL, Kinect

Top 10 Exclusive Titles:

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Halo Reach

3. Splinter Cell: Conviction

4. Alan Wake

5. Crackdown 2

6-10: Good luck finding some more

Playstation 3 - Released the very sh*t Playstation Move

Top 10 Exclusive Titles:

1. Gran Turismo 5

2. Modnation Racers

3. God of War 3

4. Heavy Rain

5. MAG

6 - 10: Other rubbish

Top 5 360 and PS3 Titles:

1. Red Dead Redemption

2. Bayonetta

3. Bioshock 2

4. Battlefield Bad Company 2

5. Fallout New Vegas

Nintendo Wii - Released a red version, woopdedoo

Top 11 Exclusive Titles

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

2. Goldeneye

3. Donkey Kong Country Returns

4. Sin and Punishment

5. Red Steel 2

6. Epic Mickey

7. Kirbys Epic Yarn

8. Metroid: Other M

9. No More Heroes 2

10. Sonic Colours

11. Tatsunko vs Capcom: Ultimate ALl-Stars

Summary:

So, both Sony and Microsoft have very few exclusive titles this year, compared to the Wii's whopping amount. However the Wii misses out on some good 3rd party titles like Red Dead Redemption. Kinect is a bit more interesting than the new dated PS Move, but neither really has any software for it to rave about.

It's certainly a close year. I'd say the 360 edges ahead of the PS3 due to slightly better exclusive titles, getting Mass Effect a year ahead of the PS3 was a huge win for them.

My verdict: Joint winners Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii (360 might just clench it for their better online support this year as the virtual console well has been dry outisde of Japan)

What's your verdict?

Edited by Chriscare

Guest The Beltster

XBox 360, year in and year out, its my preference. I own all 3 but spend the vast majority of my gaming time on the 360.

I prefer the XBox exclusives over the PS3's, I prefer the control pad, I prefer the dashboard and so on.

Guest Chriscare

I actually think the 360 pad is the worst out of the 3. The Classic controller is my favourite on the wii (or at least it would be if you'd didn't have to attach it to the wii mote). Not so keen on the Sixaxis as the r2 and l2 just feel a bit weird, but I do like the Dual Shock PS3 alot. I just think the battery pack adds a bit too much weight to the 360 one for my liking.

PS3 deffo needs a makeover on its operating system though, far too complicated and ugly compared to the 360 and the Wii. I love how xbox arcade offers and deals of the week pop up on the main page.

Playstation 3 - Released the very underwhelming Playstation Move

Personally, I don't think this should've been worded as such in the opening post as it should be an impartial listing of what's on offer to inform only.

That, coupled with the "nothing of interest" comment for the Top 10 PS3 exclusives show a bias that shouldn't be there as the first post should be an information piece, not a personal opinion comment. There are plenty of PS3-exclusive games (PSN and store-bought) that could have filled out the list.

What I mean is that, of course, you have an opinion and every right to let everyone else know your opinion, but in the opening post, when you're asking people to comment, you're limiting those reading it to your opinion on things instead of giving a fully formed list of information to work from.

Guest John Hancock
As normal, PS3. Same reasons as Belty but reversed.

Same as Darkstar... but reversed again.

Really though, it's just because I have an X-box 360, and I like it, and the other two always feel weird and somehow wrong because they aren't what I'm used to. None's really "better" than the other.

Guest Chriscare

Sorry i'll re-word it :)

There's no bias on my part anyway, all the games I've mentioned in the lists are ones that have generally received positive reviews. If there's any you think I've missed I'll happily add them, but as far as I can find there's only 4 games really worth mentioning for PS3 and 360, Crackdown 2 and MAG was me grasping at straws really. If I were to include every exclusive game for every console I'd be here all day as the Wii get tonnes of shitty releases, I had to draw a line somewhere.

Really though, it's just because I have an X-box 360, and I like it, and the other two always feel weird and somehow wrong because they aren't what I'm used to. None's really "better" than the other.

How very stand offish of you. It's not really about which console is better anyway, just which console has had a better year. Which really is gonna depend on what you class as a good year, Wii had to win for consistancy, as PS3 haven't had a top exclusive title since about April/May I think? and 360's last one was Reach in September. And if you're a racing game lover the PS3 is gonna look the top dog for you, whereas Wii has owned the platform genre this year, and 360 has been great for Multiplayer.

Edited by Chriscare

Guest Chriscare
I think at the moment both Kinect and Move barely register this year. They're just impressive pieces of hardware with nothing to really show them off. 2011 will be a much better judge of which of them is actually worth getting, I like Move, its cool seeing the remote turn into an object like something out of who framed roger rabbit, but unless you like golf (i dont) it really needs a killer app.

Guest John Hancock

How very stand offish of you. It's not really about which console is better anyway, just which console has had a better year. Which really is gonna depend on what you class as a good year, Wii had to win for consistancy, as PS3 haven't had a top exclusive title since about April/May I think? and 360's last one was Reach in September. And if you're a racing game lover the PS3 is gonna look the top dog for you, whereas Wii has owned the platform genre this year, and 360 has been great for Multiplayer.

I was being "stand offish" by saying I don't really have a strong opinion? What?

360 would have "won" the year with Kinect selling beyond all expectations, and with the eclusive titles. Next year will be another story with PS3 getting a gazillion exclusives and only Gears of War 3 announced for Xbox. It doesn't really matter though, they are both good systems and each have their own advantages.

The Wii can lie down however.

Guest Chriscare

Yea it's been an excellent year for the Wii, but I think it's just about done for the hardcore gamer. Nintendo needs to announce its successor.

2011 looks like a brilliant year for the PS3, I can't even imagine what MS could possibly have up it's sleaves to put up a fight.

Edited by Chriscare

Guest The Beltster

There are plenty of top titles on the Wii and just this past few months with Donkey Kong, Goldeneye and Super Mario All Stars getting a release its had me back on the Wii alot.

It has its place and is a great alternative when your sick of FPS.

Guest Chriscare
There are plenty of top titles on the Wii and just this past few months with Donkey Kong, Goldeneye and Super Mario All Stars getting a release its had me back on the Wii alot.

It has its place and is a great alternative when your sick of FPS.

I prefer the Wii for FPS games to be honest. It takes some getting used to, but it's alot more fun holding a gun than using sticks. I just hope the release of Goldneye encourages more FPS fans over so when Conduit 2 comes out there'll actually be people to play against.

I do kinda want Mario All-Stars, but I already have mario bros 3 on my virtual console and 20 quid is pretty steep for a non updated Snes game. I really wish they'd have put more effort into the 25th anniversary disk to be honest. They could have easily released it at 40 quid with Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Mario RPG and Mario 64 on there. Zeldas gamecube collectors disk really puts it to shame

Edited by Chriscare

Well, the possibility of BluRay coming to the XBox 360 is still up in the air, so the PS3 wins by default as the best overall entertainment system.

Of course, for gaming, it's down to individual tastes, not just in system, but in games (when it comes to the exclusive titles).

Also, Kinect has clearly got better future potential than Move.

Guest The Beltster
I prefer the Wii for FPS games to be honest. It takes some getting used to, but it's alot more fun holding a gun than using sticks. I just hope the release of Goldneye encourages more FPS fans over so when Conduit 2 comes out there'll actually be people to play against.

I do kinda want Mario All-Stars, but I already have mario bros 3 on my virtual console and 20 quid is pretty steep for a non updated Snes game. I really wish they'd have put more effort into the 25th anniversary disk to be honest. They could have easily released it at 40 quid with Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Mario RPG and Mario 64 on there. Zeldas gamecube collectors disk really puts it to shame

I pay a fiver for all my games so price never comes into it with 360 or Wii for me, thats probably a big part of why I prefer them over PS3, I dont care for paying full price for games :lol