Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort

Guest Dusty Finish

Guest Frank Botch

http://i55.tinypic.com/4r3whi.gif

This should probably have it's own thread in every section, brings a tear to the eye.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird that people were complaining a while back about how Anderson had no personality, now he should just shut up before fights. And when Sonnen was arrogant, and you know racist, it was all an act. Huh.

Never said I liked Chael Sonnen did I? Never said I agreed with what he said in the run up to their fight did I?

I don't even care if a fighter has no personality, I am not there to fall in love with them I am there to watch them fight and if they are a good fighter then that is good enough for me.

But when good fighters drop their hands, dance around, throw punches to the thigh and do kung fu hand movements just to goad and disrespect their opponent I find it arrogant and hard to like.

How about this, if your bored because he's not trying to hit you then hit him Anderson.

But the fact is Anderson dislikes that because when he used to press fights and attack rather then counter since he got tapped out over in Pride and now he is too scared of that happening and losing his streak.

Fair enough that is a wise evolution and smart thinking but there is no need to then become arrogant. Machida fights the same way, wanting others to instigate so he may counter but he isn't disrespectful to the fans or his opponent whilst doing so.

Guest Frank Botch
Never said I liked Chael Sonnen did I? Never said I agreed with what he said in the run up to their fight did I?

Jeez take it easy. Questions in sequence are so aggresive. I wasn't even taking about you in particular, just... others have been doing it. Maybe I shouldn't have quoted you but I didn't want you to think I was throwing shots at you indirectly.

But the fact is Anderson dislikes that because when he used to press fights and attack rather then counter since he got tapped out over in Pride and now he is too scared of that happening and losing his streak.

Wait... he stopped doing the things that got him beat? Son of a bitch. As you say that's a wise evolution and it's what good fighters do. I love watching him and Machida, I just like when they outclass their opponents, never got the sense I was being disrespected. And if you're fighting Anderson and allowing yourself to be embarrassed by him... you're a bitch.

Bounus payout!

Fighters were awarded $75,000 bonuses.

Fight of the Night: Donald Cerrone vs. Paul Kelly

Knockout of the Night: Anderson Silva

Submission of the Night: Jon Jones

There just seems to be a difference in the way that the two go about it though. Machida just seems to wait patiently, maybe toss out a few jabs to cause frustration and distance so the other fighter feels the need to close the distance and attack.

Anderson on the other hand, in the two minutes at the start of that fight, danced around in circles, threw a punch to the thigh and basically danced.

I have seen him do that against Maia and Lietes now and it just didn't sit well. We know he's good but he doesn't have to rub it in like that, his performance should do that for him.

Guest The Beltster

I like it personally, it adds to the fight unless its taken to far like Silva did against Demian Maia. I liked Naseem Hamed and Chris Eubank too, and its also why Muhammad Ali is so fondly remembered. Their personalities, along with being winners, made them stand out.

Machida is respectful, but he's boring as hell too.

Guest Frank Botch

Yeah that's true about Machida being different, the Maia fight was just so odd, that's the one fight where I'll fully admit that Anderson wanted to humiliate his opponent. I found it pretty funny to be honest, I'm a mean dude though. It just annoys me a little when people just straight up ignore his ability and talk about his antics, ''he has a bad attitude'' etc. I mean objectively he has to be the best around right now. Not saying you're doing that by the way because you've said you know he's good.

Anyway, here's Steven Seagal talking about how he invented that kick - ''no one else knows it!''

[YOUTUBE]UcNgrp2Ftew[/YOUTUBE]

Dude looks faded as hell.

Edited by Frank Botch

What happened to Anderson moving back up to Light Heavyweight anyhow? Seen as he has beaten Forrest at that weight he has proven he can do it and I think against anyone in that division he has more then a chance of winning.

However Machida against Silva could be the most boring fight ever - they would both wait for the first punch that would never come lol.

Also is there another middleweight in the UFC left for Silva to fight unless a light heavy takes the cut down like Victor?

Guest Rikidozan
...and now for some great irony...after all the previous-posts talk of boringness, it appears Yushin Okami is next in line at the 185lbs title...

Guest Frank Botch

If I remember right the ''Anderson to LHW'' deal was blown out of proportion by Yahoo, Soares was even talking about suing them, so it was never really planned. And man, as Dusty said, there's no point in giving Okami a title shot. I know he earned it and everything but he doesn't stand a chance, good luck to anyone trying to spin it differently.

As for another challenger, I saw someone on another forum say that, since he won't fight Jones, Rashad should drop down to fight Silva but I think that would go the same way as Evans/Machida. There really is no one at 185 to touch him.

Guest Rikidozan

People said Sonnen and Werdum had no chance, and lookie there...

Okami may not be the most dynamite fighter on the planet, but he's 10-2 in the UFC (26-5 overall), with the two losses coming via unanimous decision to Franklin and Sonnen. He's never been stopped in the UFC, and Okami/Silva could headline the first Zuffa Japan show. When booking MMA fights, there's a number of different factors to consider.

Guest Frank Botch
Sonnen lost and Werdum got lucky. Okami has never impressed me, he has no outstanding strenghts. Henderson and Sonnen were better wrestlers, Belfort was a better striker, Franklin was more well rounded, Maia had the BJJ going for him... Silva beat all of them. He's an average fighter who doesn't have a prayer against Anderson.

Submission of the Night: Jon Jones
This is the one I disagree with; Donald Cerrone should've got it for his rear-naked choke on Paul Kelly. The technique in positioning his choking arm was sublime.

This is the one I disagree with; Donald Cerrone should've got it for his rear-naked choke on Paul Kelly. The technique in positioning his choking arm was sublime.

True but Jones secured a win over an undefeated opponent by adapting an existing hold in a difficult position to get the tap out.

Whilst Cerrone's was textbook and great Jones adaptation gives it the edge for me.

Plus Dana White loves him to bits.

Guest Frank Botch

I'd agree, it looked pretty. Pretty as a vicious choke can look anyway. Everybody saw that cheap shot Kelly took at the start of the fight? He said sorry on twitter:

I never ment any wrong withthat first punchsorry if it come accos that way I was just hyped an wanted to go to work on my daughters!!!

Yeah, could've worded that better, go to work on my daughters indeed.

BAS is not impressed with Seagal's claims:

@BasRuttenMMA Said: (regarding Seagal's interview with Helwani)

I bet u he really believes what he says, its the funniest thing ever, EVER!

web • 2/6/11 11:13 PM

I thought it was a skit first, like Saturday night live, but then realized it's not. "He contacted me to teach me deadly stuff", Haha, tears!

web • 2/6/11 11:15 PM

He taught him a front kick to the face? he invented that? Nobody else knows this kick yet? What planet does he live on? OK, lets NEVER talk

about this again, lets NOT do this, I WILL address it ONCE on Inside MMA though, but that's it. Party on!

web • 2/6/11 11:18 PM

I saw Ariel having a smirk on his face, that's why I really thought it was a joke, I am not kidding, Inside MMA is coming up! Hahahaha!!

web • 2/6/11 11:28 PM

http://media.heavy.com/media/2011/02/10UFC126SilvaVs.jpg

I love the look of concentration an Andersons face, what a man.

Guest John Hancock

I'm SO proud of myself for having completely avoided spoilers for the past three days, as I only just got a chance to finally watch the thing. Thoughts;

~ Torres and Banuelos might have just single handedly killed all casual-fan interest in the new weight classes. Who ever booked such a mismatch on a big PPV like that needs a slap.

~ Second on the slap list is whichever judge called Ellenberger/Rocha as a 30 point win for Rocha.

~ Jon Jones is a bad motherf*cker. That choke was crazy, and his reaction to finding out he was number one contender was nice to see, shame Shogun managed to kill that woman by speaking English like he has Down's syndrome. Also, LOL@Rashad Evans' life. That's what you get for working with Greg Jackson. God has broken your legs for giving that boring f*cker your time and money.

~ I complete forgot that Forrest Griffin is actually pretty good. I have now idea how Franklin thought he won that, he looked pretty bad to be fair, and was pretty lucky not to get finished on the ground. It looks like Griffin has a reason not to kill himself just yet after all.

~ I'm calling it now; Silva's going to knock GSP out. I mean, the guy just uppercutted a dude... WITH HIS FOOT. Madness. I spent that entire fight sitting with my Dad who likes combat sports but doesn't really know MMA with him complaining that the fight was boring whilst I just said, "Wait for it...". I'm glad that Silva vindicated me.

Good show (although maybe not as good as a card THAT stacked deserved). Considering the hype, I'm interested as to what numbers this does.