Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

The Worst Movesets In Wrestling Today

Guest Jamster26

My personal gripe is moves that just look ridiculous, are clearly fake/being assisted by the person "taking" the move, or that should cause equal damage to the person delivering the move.

In that list are the Canadian Destroyer, the Styles Clash, any and all russian legsweeps, the 619, the spinny elbow thing R-Truth does, The overdrive, etc.

As for movesets, I don't think their is anyone I know of who actually does a large number of moves I'd consider shitty.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

I like Mickie's tornado DDT when its done well. The first few times she used it on Raw I was floored with how cool it was. But yeah, it gets botched a lot. I remember when she tried it on Alicia who couldnt support her weight and they almost died. I mean, the girls being too thin to work is another conversation entirely, but yeah.

I like Cody's Beautiful Disaster kick. He also has a really sweet moonsault that he doesnt use anymore.

Back to woman, I love the Implant Buster and before it the Glam Slam. Well, I really love Layla taking the Glam Slam.

Michelle actually had a sweet set of moves. Styles Clash, Superkick, the KNEETOTHEHEAD outside, the belly to belly, Heel Hook of Doom formerly, the rapid knee drops, some sweet forearms.

I always liked Trish's strikes too, they were more forearms than punches most of the time, they looked good.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Booker T's scissor kick.... I hate it. I really hate hate hate hate it. It always looks sh*t, the set up is contrived and watching some poor guy have to shuffle around to get into position bent over but looking at where booker is....urgh.

I think Stone Cold probably had the best style, especially after his knees went and limited what he could do, he made everything he did look impactful.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Oh yeah, the scissor kick sucks. Only once in my life have I seen it done somewhat naturally (and it was Alicia).

I really love the Lita DDT. In that I include its cousins, Miz's DDT and Maryse's DDT.

Actually, I really like the FutureShock too. Drew is coming along nicely with that, now the Bret Figure Four, a big Lariat, and so on.

Guest Jimmy Redman
I've never liked the Angle Slam as a finish, actually. It might partly be due to conditioning since its kicked out of so much, but it never looked all that impactful to me. You're just sort of lifted up and placed down behind the guy.

I've never liked the Angle Slam as a finish, actually. It might partly be due to conditioning since its kicked out of so much, but it never looked all that impactful to me. You're just sort of lifted up and placed down behind the guy.

That depended for me - there are some great times where he just throws them round and nearly kills 'em, but yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

It's the type of move that I imagine there's a Japanese guy out there doing a thousand times better!

I have zero problem with the Styles Clash, Ron Killings' spinning elbow, Edge's Spear, Booker T's scissors kick or any of the other finishers/signatures mentioned.

With the exception of MVP's Playmaker/Overdrive. I've seen MVP do it, I've seen Randy Orton do it, I've seen John Cena do it, and I just don't like it.

There has only been one instance when the Overdrive actually looked like it would hurt somebody that I've seen.

Guest Keegan

After more consideration, my nominees in addition to my original pick are...

Wade: Someone beat me to the punch. I hate his finisher and what he does in the ring is bland. I just wish he'd exchanged moves with someone like Sheamus. I think Wade's got a lot of potential and he looks great, he gets heat and he's smarmy, certainly looks like he could beat you up with very litte ease but hasn't shown me much 'style' in the ring. He doesn't have that high-intensity Austin does. Omega mentioned since Austin's knees went, it made his style look more impactful. I'd go along with that but I beg to differ one thing: I'd give more credit to the neck injury. Barret shouldn't need that incentive to help him change, though.

Ric Flair: Oh, this may cause some furore but I don't care. I watched him against Ricky Morton from 1986 on the Horsemen DVD and the moves were the same. The difference then - he was a great seller and could actually move. I love his charisma and persona and he used to be able to work a great match (his bout with Savage at WM8 for some reason has always been one of my favourites) but chop, low blow, flop, vertical suplex at times and figure 4. Oh, and a kneebreaker with the silly top-rope spot. If that counts. Been doing it for years and it's basic. Bleeding is also a trademark.

Guest Jamster26

I remember he did that once in a match on Raw and Michael Cole said something like " Oh a dropkick!" "Cena has added a drop kick to his arsenal"

Yeah, probably shouldn't have bothered, should he.

Choose your moves in an efed and that is what your character does. A move set limits a character to certain moves
That's not the case though, as the TWOStars characters do moves not in their list more often than not (for a number of reasons).
My personal gripe is moves that just look ridiculous, are clearly fake/being assisted by the person "taking" the move, or that should cause equal damage to the person delivering the move.

In that list are the Canadian Destroyer, the Styles Clash, any and all russian legsweeps, the 619, the spinny elbow thing R-Truth does, The overdrive, etc.

The side-russian legsweep (and its ilk) don't require obvious assistance from the opponent. It's grabbing a guy by the back of the neck and pulling. The Styles Clash is another one where it could be done with no assistance from the opponent and R-Truths' Lie Detector forearm is just him jumping into a standing/running opponent, so I'm not sure where you get "obvious assistance" from that either.

Guest Jimmy Redman

If you read the post you quoted, I'd say he meant that he hated moves that look assisted, OR look like they hurt the giver, OR just look ridiculous.

So he hates those moves for any of the above reasons, not just the second one.

If you read the post you quoted, I'd say he meant that he hated moves that look assisted, OR look like they hurt the giver, OR just look ridiculous.

So he hates those moves for any of the above reasons, not just the second one.

Exactly :good222:

The side-russian legsweep (and its ilk) don't require obvious assistance from the opponent. It's grabbing a guy by the back of the neck and pulling. The Styles Clash is another one where it could be done with no assistance from the opponent and R-Truths' Lie Detector forearm is just him jumping into a standing/running opponent, so I'm not sure where you get "obvious assistance" from that either.

To be specific, the Styles Clash and russian legsweeps should do roughly equal damage to both wrestlers and are therefore stupid.

Oh and to do the Styles Clash properly, you need to step over the opponents arms (to protect them) which is both an obvious assist and worse, is clearly meant to protect the opponent from being driven headfirst into the mat, which is supposed to be the aim of the move....

The R Truth spinny forearm is just looks ridiculous, the Canadian Destroyer both looks ridiculous and is obviously assisted.

Edited by etz

To be specific, the Styles Clash and russian legsweeps should do roughly equal damage to both wrestlers and are therefore stupid.

You could say, kayfabe wise, that the reason they don't hurt the wrestler performing the move as much is because they brace themselves for it, wheras the wrestler recieving the move is hit with the full force of it.

You could say, kayfabe wise, that the reason they don't hurt the wrestler performing the move as much is because they brace themselves for it, wheras the wrestler recieving the move is hit with the full force of it.

You could....

Physics, however, says that being dropped on your face hurts... and in the case of the Styles Clash, the head of the person delivering it is actually higher than the person receiving it, and thus the deliverer takes more impact to the face than the "victim".

Can you tell I hate the Styles Clash? To the point that I'd change the channel or increase the fast forward speed the instant they'd start setting it up. It's one of the most ridiculous, idiotic, non-impactful moves in wrestling.... and worse, if you hit it for real, you'd more likely knock yourself out than your opponent.

Edited by etz

Can you tell I hate the Styles Clash? To the point that I'd change the channel or increase the fast forward speed the instant they'd start setting it up. It's one of the most ridiculous, idiotic, non-impactful moves in wrestling.... and worse, if you hit it for real, you'd more likely knock yourself out than your opponent.

You'd have a point if you werent wrong. The person performing the move is protected by the other guys body. If you dont know how to take the move then you WILL get hurt. I've seen it ****ed up enough to know that. :lol

When the performer steps over the guy taking the Clashes arms, they are effectively in mirror image positions headwise and their heads should be equally protected by each others legs. Of course, the guy taking it has still got the other guy landing on his back, and he's also absorbing most of their combined weight on his hands, so it can go horribly wrong. And if he's got short arms, he's really screwed.

But that's not what the Clash is meant to be about, unless I've totally misunderstood it.

And none of that changes the fact that it still looks ridiculous, so even if it actually works, I still hate it on those grounds, which is my initial reason for hating it anyway.

Edited by etz