Fan Clubs | beta

Football Manager

Guest Jamster26

Haven't played footy manager game of any sort for well over 10 years now, but when I was in Uni me and my housemates had an epic 3-way game going on which went into (at least) the 12th season.

Mark was Juve (although he was eventually sacked and ended up in La Liga somewhere), Sam was Liverpool and I was PSV. All of us did really well in our own leagues.

Mark won "a few" Scudettos and the European Cup a couple of times. I remember that he signed Pablo Aimar from Valencia for about £16m (a big price tag, even then) and had him for a few seasons, eventually selling him to Madrid for £103m. To this day I couldn't see how :lol.

Sam used to use PSV as his feeder club and I used Liverpool as my cheap talent pool. I took Mellor, Welsh, Guthrie, Le Tallec (and a few other of Sam's own signings like Cherno Samba and Jerome Thomas) on loan and won Eredivisie every year and in return when my own young players were 25 years old I sold them to Liverpool with a couple million knocked off the asking price. Liverpool ended up with Van Bommel, Kezman, Hofland, Bouma and Jurgen Colin in their starting line-up (on the "cheap") and PSV still made £millions each year.

Real, Utd etc... aside, PSV were the richest club in the world. At one point I had over £800m sat in the bank, a youth team that produced 3 or 4 £20m players every year, and I used to take cheap Liverpool loans and fading Dutch stars on cheap wages.

My PSV side had Cocu, Stam, Van Der Sar, Van Nistelrooy, Reuser and Overmars (all 34+ years of age), with Danny Guthrie, Le Tallec and Zak Whitbread, and some "actual" signings like Anelka and Di Biagio.

I won the league at a canter, because you didn't need much to win it, sold two or three stars for £20m every summer, and replaced them for free. I usually got to the QF of the CL and wasn't expected to do any more.

Eventually my chairman said to me, in an Arsenal fan style, "spend some f*cking money!", seeing as I was sitting on nearly a £billion quid. So I severed ties with Sam's Liverpool, released my ageing Dutch stars (keeping Stam as captain as he was beyond world class) and scouted expensive, pricey talent from South America.

Ended up with "Hector Something" in goal (Arsenal ended up signing him in real life, he wasn't any good), Fernando Cavenaghi up front, scouted for weeks a 15 year old Kaka and signed him for £6m on his 16th birthday (this was before he was known), had a Paraguayan called "Nelson Something" as a marauding fullback, with Cicinho as the other one. I think I signed Mascherano as my holding midfielder and Diego and Deco as my attacking midfielders (Deco cost me £40m+ from Barcelona). I think I had Sorin in there somewhere, as well as Seb Deisler.

In all I spent nearly £200m that summer and the boss was begging me to spend more. We won Eredivisie by Xmas (seriously) and got to the final of the European Cup, only to be beat 3-2 by Mark's Juve.

OMFG, I miss those days :lol

Cheers!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Magic
It would be fun, but for it to work properly everybody has to be available to play at the same time, which could and probably will be an issue.

On a Neymar related note, I play FIFA 13 on the PS3 online, and I usually play as Santos. OMfnG, how good is Neymar!? :lol

Getting a bit pee-oh'd with constantly playing against Real, Barca and Bayern (and get super pee-oh'd when they change their tactics to "pressing" and "man-mark Neymar" because I can literally do nothing against that) but every now and again you play someone who plays as Mineiro, Sao Paolo, Ajax, Benfica etc... good teams with a star player, and we have some great games.

Yeah yeah, wrong thread I know :P.

Cheers!

I've been messing around with FM13 the last few weeks. Took United (which you'd think would be cheating, but I cannot get excited about managing any other team)

Same as that, when i play these types of games i cannot manage anyone else other than Arsenal, unless i do a few years with them then move on, but i always have to start with them.

Guest Jamster26

I’ve tried starting from the bottom of the management ladder so to speak, and manage a club in the Blue Square Premier and then slowly work your way up the ladder to more prestigious clubs. It’s just abit of a pain, you’re entire squad is on part-time contracts, no money at all, and as such, there’s no real opportunity to build a team of your own, you just have to make the best with what you have got.

I’ve done very well with my Barnsley save up to now. I managed to finish 8th in the league after initially being tipped as one of the favourites for relegation. Both Rory Delap and Marlon Harewood have been absolutely phenomenal for me.

I just hope I’m not a victim of my own success and the board start setting the minimum aim next season(s) to get promoted! :lol

It will be very hard to better this position next season.

Guest John Hancock
On FIFA 13, I play as Chelsea for fantasy mode, win everything every season, and buy Messi and Neymar and those sorts, but, for a reasonable challenge, I play as Ajax. Managed to buy a load of German and Brazilian teenagers and turn them into European contenders, eventually winning the Champion's League after a few seasons. Super-hard mode, for me, is either Dagenham & Redbridge, who I managed to get to the Championship, before getting relegated, and Beerschot (a Belgian club from Antwerp that I like), who I somehow managed to fluke the Europa League with.

Guest Ravenmark

Been playing FM (and it's incarnations before the FM and Champ Man Split) for almost 20 years now, starting with Championship Manager 92/93.

Fm13 is the hardest game yet, I had an Everton team and it took me 9 seasons to win the league - I did win the FA Cup a coupe of times during that period - and it felt very realistic and it was 'my' team that won it in the end with youth players etc

Currently playing as Tranmere and have had back to back promotions into the prem and won the league cup in my first season. Seems to be a bit easier and more forgiving starting with a lower division club.

When you say "FIFA 13" are you talking about regular FIFA like I've got where you do the "career" or is there a management version as well?

Cheers!

FIFA 13 is the games console career mode. FIFA MANAGER 13 is a management game like FM. Surprisingly FIFA MANAGER isn't that well known, just click the link TWO gives you when i type FIFA MANAGER 13 is my post.. it takes you to FM on Amazon :lol

Anyway here's the site for it.

http://www.fifa-manager.com/

Edited by Ryan

Guest Magic
I think I played Fifa manager once a few years back, but it didn't do it for me like the original FM does. That will always be my first love.

Guest Jamster26
I've never played Fifa manager. Any good? The last management game for a console I played was LMA Manager 2007 for the X-Box. Good fun, but obviously no way near the in-depth brilliance of FM.

Guest Jamster26

I KNEW this would happen.

So after finishing 8th in my first season with Barnsley, and steering the club away from relegation (no easy feat!), the following season my objective was to finish in the top-half, and things got off to a poor start, losing 6 out of our first 10 matches. Shortly after I was sacked as we were languishing in the bottom half. Very harsh, especially as I had zero money to strengthen the squad in the summer. As I said, victim of your own success...

I’m now the manager of Charlton who recently got rid of their manager, and my task is to keep the team in the Championship. Very mixed results so far, but I think I’ve managed to shore up our defence and we’re not conceding goals for fun anymore. I’ve had to sacrifice goals at the other end though but I had to go right back to basics.

• 3 months later...
Guest Jamster26

I started a new save with Bolton, and in my second season I managed to clinch 1st place, which I'm really happy about. Just started the Premier League season and I've been given a whopping £15m transfer kitty. I've had Bids rejected for both Rhodes and Austin, the latter of which ended up going to Cardiff, one of our relegation rivals this season.

So far I've managed to bring in:

Leonardo Ulloa from Brighton (£7m)

Albert Adomah- (£4m)

Freebies:

Matty Taylor

Dedryck Boyata

Goran Popov

Manuel Almunia

I'm happy with that so far.