Fan Clubs (beta)

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Guest Yodahew

Guest Yodahew
Im working my way through them in order at the moment. Watched iron man so far. Dam i need more time. I did only start this week though.

Guest Jayfunk
Does anyone else if there has been an overload of these films and the bubble may burst and they might not be a good in the box office

Guest The Beltster
I said it before, I dont really think you can over saturate the market with these things because its not like its a weekly thing. How many comic movies do they release per year? Lets say 6, that means 1 every 2 months. I dont think thats overkill personally, and if you like these sort of movies you have enough of a break in between each one to look forward to the next. And worse case scenario, if you dont like them, theres plenty of other things to watch at the cinema.

Guest John Hancock
I think you can overload it if all the films are similar, but, so far, they aren't. Personally, I didn't like any of the phase one films, but I loved Captain America 2, and I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm sure there's people who think the exact opposite. As long as they keep a mixture of tones and sub-genres, there's going to be room. If they just kept making Iron-Man movies with different actors, which is what I though phase one threatened to become, that quip-quip-quip gross Joss Whedon, Lethal Weapon for kids style, they'll be fine. So far, they've done 90s actions movies, spy-thrillers, sic-fi comedies, sci-fi fantasies, action-comedies, they've got a good mix of tones whilst still keeping everything in the same universe. Edited by John Hancock

Marvel have also been pretty cunning in knowing what has worked while changing it up enough that it's different enough to the last installment that you'll still go see the next if you're not bowled over by the current one. Thor 2 is case in point, I thought Thor 1 was way better, but Thor 2 kept me interested enough to want to know what happens in the next one.

They've also got a really broad range of characters to call on, which makes every movie unique in it's own right.

And it's hardly saturation when the release list looks like this, including future planned releases :

2008 - 2

2009 - 0

2010 -1

2011 - 2

2012 - 1

2013 - 2

2014 - 2

2015 - 2

2016 - 2

2017 - 1

Also, Joss Whedon was only involved with the Avengers, none of the other phase one stuff, so the rest of that's not his fault.

Edited by etz

Even taking into account the DC output in cinemas (and counting films from Batman Begins in 2005 on - as this was their re-emergence), you still only have one film per year, excluding 2007 and 2014/15.

2005 - Batman Begins

2006 - Superman Returns

2008 - The Dark Knight

2009 - Watchmen

2010 - Jonah Hex

2011 - Green Lantern

2012 - The Dark Knight Rises

2013 - Man of Steel

2016 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Fate

It does get a little more crowded if you take into account films from DC sub-publications like Vertigo, but it's still not over-saturated.

2005 - Constantine, A History of Violence

2006 - V for Vendetta

2007 - Stardust

2010 - The Losers, Red

2013 - RED 2

As Beltmark said, there are plenty of other films to watch if these aren't your cup of tea and as J-Rock said, they are not (for the most part) the same movie with characters swapped out.

That's even when you take into account The Fantastic Four (two films), Spider-Man (three films), X-Men (five films), Hulk (one film), Men In Black (one film), Kick-Ass (two films), Ghost Rider (two films) and the upcoming Kingsman: The Secret Service to take place in the 2005-to-present time-frame.

Oooo I just had "a moment" - with all the MCU movies being connected and Earth being "aware" of people with powers now... a few movies down the line - how AWESOME would a Marvels movie be?