Fan Clubs (beta)

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Guest Yodahew

Guest Yodahew
Just curious to see what peoples favourite or most hated film from the current MCU is? What do you think of phase 2 in comparison to phase 1? Do you include Hulk in phase 1? Any gripes with what they are doing since avengers assemble? Who do you think they should add to the universe?

Predictable, but Iron Man is my favorite, just because it is the least "comic book movie" comic book movie I've seen. The marvel franchise has grown progressively more overblown and ludicrous. It seems the more comic book elements they introduce, the worse the movies get as they trade storytelling for spectacle.

They're not alone in this either, the last Spidey franchise did the same thing and new one seems to be going down the same road.

How do you make a comic book sequel? Same basic story.... add MOAR BAD GUYYYZZZ...

I enjoyed Phase 1, technically Incredible Hulk is part despite the change in actor playing Banner as they referenced it in Avengers.

See I don't mind any of the stand-alones in Phase 1, I've not seen Iron Man 3 yet or Thor 2, so will catch up when I get chance. In terms of Marvel Universe though, I'm much more drawn to the Spider-Man Wider Universe they're starting to make. Venom and Sinister Six movies will help open that, and while I'm fearful Spidey 2 will go the old Spidey 3 route and be villain overkill, but the trailer made me think WOW!

As for least Superhero-like/Comic Book Movie, Man of Steel was easily the best Sci-Fi film of the year that really blew me away with how amazing it was. For a Superhero who really is the poster boy for all other Superheros, it didn't feel like a film about that at all. It felt like a big-budget hard-hitting Sci-fi film.

Guest Yodahew

I know incredible hulk is part of phase 1 i meant the 2003 Hulk film. It is technically a prequel of incredible hulk so would that count as a early part of phase 1? Iron Man 1 is one of the best movies superhero related as it followed the dark knight trilogy of being set in real world and is grounded and realistic.

Comic books are outlandish and fantastically ludicrus. As far as my favourite films are I would have to say iron man 1, thor 1 & 2. I really hope they are allowed to merge spiderman and fantastic four into the mcu. Fantastic four has much more chance of this as the right revert back to Marvel soon.

I think the story telling so far has been perfect for the amount of source material they have to work through and intertwine the stories together in a coherant manner. The reason it seems a bit disjointed is all the teasers they put in with regards to guardians and ultron which are going to finish phase 2. It is meant to feel disjointed so you watch the others to find out what is going on. The only one I'm not sure about is Ant-Man. I just never really liked him.

Take Thor for example. They show the infinity gauntlet in the vault in asgard. That was phase 1. Now phase 2 is about Thanos, the owner and user of the infinity gauntlet. They are teasing and teasing all the time.

Fletch, Iron Man 3 is good, Thor 2 is amazing you should definately watch them if you get a chance.

I enjoyed Phase 1, technically Incredible Hulk is part despite the change in actor playing Banner as they referenced it in Avengers
There's no "technically" about it; The Incredible Hulk is an official part of Phase 1.

When talking about the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I assume we're talking only about those that share a link with Avengers and none of the Fox or Sony films?

If so, then that would be comprised of -:

Phase 1

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

The Avengers

Phase 2

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

To come we have -:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (04/04/14)

Guardians of the Galaxy (01/08/14)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (01/05/15)

Phase 3

Ant-Man (31/07/15)

Edited by DC

Guest Beefhead
They haven't said hank pym yet, only ant man. I think they have a lot of scientists already so he'll be Scott Lang not Pym. I say a quick hank Pym appearance in one of the last two phase 2 films, and a brief mention of his ant man/giant man technology. Then Rudd's lang steals the technology and becomes ant man in his stand alone. That could be great.

Guest Yodahew
I enjoyed Phase 1' date=' technically Incredible Hulk is part despite the change in actor playing Banner as they referenced it in Avengers[/quote']There's no "technically" about it; The Incredible Hulk is an official part of Phase 1.

When talking about the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I assume we're talking only about those that share a link with Avengers and none of the Fox or Sony films?

If so, then that would be comprised of -:

Phase 1

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

To come we have -:

Phase 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (04/04/14)

Guardians of the Galaxy (01/08/14)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (01/05/15)

Phase 3

Ant-Man (31/07/15)

Phase 1 actually finished with the avengers. Thats the whole point of each phase. To lead to the next avengers film. So iron man 3 and thor 2 are part of phase 2.

I f*cked that up, didn't I? :lol

Thing is, I knew they were in Phase 2, but I copied them as "released" and "to be released" and then listed them wrong for some reason.

I'll fix my post now to try and salvage some dignity.

Guest Yodahew
Well saved sir. Well saved. Lol who else do you think they will bring into the mcu? Any story arc from the comics you wanna see on film?

Guest John Hancock
I'd like to see World War Hulk, but, seeing that the Marvel films tend to be so flippant and smug and one liner-y, and I don't see how they could really do it justice.

I know they want to lead up to and then film a version of Civil War , but Marvel would need to get some of their properties back first according to Avi Arad.

There's also an issue that's been raised before about how they could integrate the "persecution of mutants" from X-Men with the "heroes are awesome" feeling from the current MCU. The general thought is that they two situations couldn't co-exist and make sense.

Guest John Hancock
I hope they keep these films and the X-Men films completely separate. The notes are totally different. The Marvel Universe are kids movies, they're like Disney films, and that's fine, Disney is awesome, but I don't want every Marvel property to become part of that "PG cut of a 90s buddy action-comedy" style.

I'd like to see the X Men Inferno crossover storyline done on film just so it end with the X Men in Australia, my favorite X Men roster.

http://i.imgur.com/M1GCi4C.jpg

In my dreams Katee Sackhoff plays Dazzler, the best X Man ever!

There's also an issue that's been raised before about how they could integrate the "persecution of mutants" from X-Men with the "heroes are awesome" feeling from the current MCU. The general thought is that they two situations couldn't co-exist and make sense.

For me that is an issue that was never fully resolved in the actual comic books as well. Whenever there was a crossover with Wolverine or any of the X-Men really with someone like Spiderman or however they never mentioned it really until the Civil War and even then in passing.

For instance when the X-Men are helping them clear up the Stamford incident that sparks the registration act the Sentinels are there, watching the X-Men and not one of the hero's says "Hey wait a minute, these guys are helping out and doing a decent and good thing, why are the freaking killer robots knocking about again?" Never once does Spiderman try and make a case for them despite them CONSTANTLY helping him and despite Wolverine being an Avenger and Storm being part of the Fantastic Four at various points does anyone try and stand up for the cause in solidarity? NOPE.

Then again Marvel did once marry Doc Octopus to Auntie May so you know, numpties.

Edited by Evil Gringo

I think they will keep X-Men and The Avengers apart as well as Spiderman. Aside from the license issues at the moment a good indication would be the fact that there will be two different Quicksilvers - one in the X-Men Universe and one in the Avengers Universe.

Evans Peter has been cast in X-Men and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (or Kick Ass to you and me) will be Quicksilver in the Avengers Universe. Now granted, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (who will be played by the lovely Elizabeth Olsen) are Magneto's kids and been in both the Avengers as villains and heroes and in X-Men as well the fact that separate actors in both films will mean there won't be a crossover - at lease with the current cast.

The only possibility is that they treat it literally as two different universes as part of the whole multi-verse idea. That being X-Men characters played by different actors in the Marvel Avengers Universe and possibly Avenger Universe characters being played by different actors within the X-Men Universe. That being said Wolverine was an Avenger at various points - can you imagine him now being played by anybody now bar Hugh Jackman? Or anyone else buying into that for that matter?

• 3 weeks later...
More casting news for Avengers: Age of Ultron as Thomas Kretschmann (Van Helsing in the current Dracula TV show) has been cast as Baron Wolfgang von Strucker as a secondary villain behind the titular AI.